The Italy Thread

sidis

6 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Just booked a last minute trip for this October. 6 nights in Monforte d'Alba during the truffle festival in Alba, and 3 nights in Lake Como. Grabbed a dinner reservation at Piazza Duomo. Need to book some winery visits in Barolo and Barbaresco, and maybe a truffle hunt. My wife and I may be the youngest people there by 40 years, but looking forward to a relaxing trip after 2 years of mostly shit. If anyone has been and needs any recs, I'm all ears. 

Also need to figure out the transfer from Milan to Alba region, but I'm guessing it is going to end up being a car rental. 

Check out Paolo Manzone’s vineyard in Barolo.  We stayed at the agritourismo there. It’s called Meriame.  They were super nice people and make mighty fine wines.  Vietti is another good one.  

Edited by VABuckeye
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, texasdago said:

I actually love having rental cars in Europe - so much freedom to visit so many places that are not frequented by tourists.  You just have to learn the road signs and also, especially for Italy, know where the ZTL is located as once you go in there, the ticket is automatic.  BUT, to have a stick shift in Italy is glorious, especially on back roads in the countryside.

I’m fine renting a car for the countryside.  Fuck driving a car in the cities. The signs you don’t understand.  The difficult parking. And Rome?  Nope. 

5 minutes ago, VABuckeye said:

I’m fine renting a car for the countryside.  Fuck driving a car in the cities. The signs you don’t understand.  The difficult parking. And Rome?  Nope. 

I see your Rome and raise you Naples.  Just hard no to either of those.  I have driven in a lot of France.  I am ok everywhere except Paris.  Marseille was actually quite easy. In Paris, it is like lane lines are a suggestion.

On 9/19/2021 at 3:45 PM, Reynolds Woodcock said:

I’ve been thinking about trying 10 days in Sicily this October. Always been on my list but seems like a real pain in the ass to plan. Interested in recommendations also

A couple weeks ago I found a podcast, Untold Italy, hosted by an aussie woman who moved to Italy. She's been doing the podcast for less than two years but already has at least 3 episodes specifically on Sicily and I'm sure it's covered as well in some of the general Italy episodes.

Tracked down an old friend last week who generally goes to Italy at least 2x a year and has been doing so for years. She has me psyched for my trip with the SO in Dec and Jan. We had been on the fence about the trip. Now to lock in that dog sitter.

That time of year we'll miss out on Lake Como, Cinque Terre and the Amalfi Coast but, twist my arm, we'll have to get back there another time. At a minimum it should be a great time to hit Rome, Naples, Siena and Venice. Who knows, if we're in Sorrento or Naples and the seas are calm and the forecast is clear, we could just get lucky and get out to Capri.

Edited by Chopper
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 10/3/2021 at 5:29 PM, Chopper said:

A couple weeks ago I found a podcast, Untold Italy, hosted by an aussie woman who moved to Italy. She's been doing the podcast for less than two years but already has at least 3 episodes specifically on Sicily and I'm sure it's covered as well in some of the general Italy episodes.

Tracked down an old friend last week who generally goes to Italy at least 2x a year and has been doing so for years. She has me psyched for my trip with the SO in Dec and Jan. We had been on the fence about the trip. Now to lock in that dog sitter.

That time of year we'll miss out on Lake Como, Cinque Terre and the Amalfi Coast but, twist my arm, we'll have to get back there another time. At a minimum it should be a great time to hit Rome, Naples, Siena and Venice. Who knows, if we're in Sorrento or Naples and the seas are calm and the forecast is clear, we could just get lucky and get out to Capri.

I went to Capri. Got to the top of the chair lift on a warm day.  The place at the top?  The only beer that they had was Corona.   Sold out of everything else. 

On 10/3/2021 at 8:29 PM, Chopper said:

Thanks for this. I just downloaded the Piedmont and Como episodes. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/28/2021 at 8:42 PM, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I see your Rome and raise you Naples.  Just hard no to either of those.  I have driven in a lot of France.  I am ok everywhere except Paris.  Marseille was actually quite easy. In Paris, it is like lane lines are a suggestion.

I'm fine anywhere except Mexico City. I'd rather rent a driver for like $100/day than deal with all of that insane mess.

5 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

I went to Capri. Got to the top of the chair lift on a warm day.  The place at the top?  The only beer that they had was Corona.   Sold out of everything else. 

You ordered beer in one of the classic wine countries in the world. Shame, Gil. 

5 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

I'm fine anywhere except Mexico City. I'd rather rent a driver for like $100/day than deal with all of that insane mess.

The absolute craziest traffic I've ever experienced is in Lima. Never drove there, and never would. 

Edited by Mo Horn

You ordered beer in one of the classic wine countries in the world. Shame, Gil. 
Dude.  I'm grabbing a beverage on a hot day after riding on a fucking chair lift.  i wasn't at at dinner.  Or even lunch.  Or fucking breakfast. 
And I'm from California.  We are our own classic wine country.  
But rest assured, I drank a fucking ocean of wine over there.   We were driving though Montepulciano.  Stopped to see a giant church/cathedral whatever.  There is a restaurant adjacent.  We go in for lunch.  Waiter says would you like to see the wine list.  I say, I'd rather that you recommend a bottle...the more local, the better.  The waiter says, "is 1000 meters local enough for you?".   
Yep.  
65312622380977117d933a9bd3225f64.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Ok, so starting to really shape up the itinerary now. We are going 11/11-11/22. We fly into Florence. We spend 4 days there. Then to Rome where we are spending 4 days and then 2 days in Venice and then fly home from Venice. i have gone through all 14 pages and pulled out all the recs for Florence and Rome. we are also going through the various websites and apps for Italy but wanted to get final recs from Surly:

Florence - must see, hotels, and places to eat

If we stay in florence for 2 days, should we go to Siena for the other two? 

If so, Siena - must see, hotels, and places to eat

What vineyards should we go to in the Florence / Siena / Tuscany area?

I will probably rent a car through Hertz as I have status there.

Rome - must see, hotels, and places to eat

Venice - is the JW the best place to stay?  other than the canals, anything else that is a must see? place to eat?

Thanks everyone in advance!!!!

10 hours ago, Longhorn94 said:

Ok, so starting to really shape up the itinerary now. We are going 11/11-11/22. We fly into Florence. We spend 4 days there. Then to Rome where we are spending 4 days and then 2 days in Venice and then fly home from Venice. i have gone through all 14 pages and pulled out all the recs for Florence and Rome. we are also going through the various websites and apps for Italy but wanted to get final recs from Surly:

Venice - is the JW the best place to stay?  other than the canals, anything else that is a must see? place to eat?

Here are my suggestions

Rome - Vatican/Vatican Museum, Colosseum/Forum, Pantheon. As for food, we ate at Armando al Pantheon and Taverna Romana near the Colosseum. Both were outstanding, but good places to eat ate literally on every street. We stopped at a couple of places that were around what we were doing, and they were all good. We saw all the "highlights" like Trevi fountain and such. Just walk the city and explore. 

We stayed in the Tuscan hills and did day trips to both Florence and Siena. In Florence we visited the Uffizi (great art), the Academia (David),  and the Duomo. Reserve the first two in advance. We didn't really eat there. Just picked up a panini and gelato as we wandered. In hindsight might have done an extra day there. 

In Siena we used the Rick Steves app for his audio tours and did the walking tour of the city. (BTW, would highly recommend this for all your sights. It's a little cheesy, but better than paying for audio guides. We used it everywhere.) We did the Duomo, and got the multi ticket for everything but the big museum. We ate at a place right on the main piazza. It was good, but I'm sure there are better places off the piazza. If you drive to Siena, park in the soccer stadium parking lot, and walk into the city.

Let me know if I can provide any other specifics. 

• Hook 'Em 2

11 hours ago, Longhorn94 said:

In my opinion, yes, go to Siena. Four days in Florence seems like a lot.  I would try and grab two nights in an agriturisimo and just day trip into Siena. Park outside the city walls and walk in. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 food tip, a good rule of thumb is don’t go to places near the huge attractions, there are exceptions but they are generally 20-30% more expensive and geared towards tourist.  Walk 2 blocks away.  

Also, if you don’t want to fool with paying cell phone rates, which can be astronomical if you don’t know what you are doing    Call your provider prior to going.  I have ATT and they had a deal for $10 for 24 hours,   Wifi is everywhere though.  Also, Google maps allows you to download offline maps, which works incredibly well.    Your GPS works for free always, unless you turn it off.   

I’m a huge fan of Google maps.   Just search restaurants 4+ stars, star them or create a list.  My hit rate on 4+ stars is probably 95%, if you find 4.5 stars plus, it’s probably 99.9%.  Flag places in areas you are likely to be then when walking around you can pull them up even without cell service. 

As for itinerary, 3 places would be my advice.  Simply day trip from them.  Last time I went we did Bologna to Florence to Orvieto to Rome in 12 days.  While train travel is awesome, it does eat up your time.  Plus packing checking in etc….  I’m actually heading to Italy right when you are leaving, get to Rome on the 19th.  

I’ll dig through some notes of my last trip with some locations we enjoyed in Florence and Rome and post later. 

• Hook 'Em 2

14 hours ago, Longhorn94 said:

Trattoria Sostanza.  Order butter chicken.  Chicken, garlic and butter cooked over wood and it's amazing.  Reservation is a must.

For vineyards, I'd head down to the Chianti Classico region.  You can also daytrip to Montalcino or Montepulciano.  Montalcino and Greve has the best enetecas anywhere in Italy.  The one in Montalcino is in the castle.  Enoteca La Fortezza

Edited by VABuckeye
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, VABuckeye said:

Trattoria Sostanza.  Order butter chicken.  Chicken, garlic and butter cooked over wood and it's amazing.  Reservation is a must.

For vineyards, I'd head down to the Chianti Classico region.  You can also daytrip to Montalcino or Montepulciano.  Montalcino and Greve has the best enetecas anywhere in Italy.  The one in Montalcino is in the castle.  Enoteca La Fortezza

I second the Montalcino suggestion, if you’re in that area. Brunellos are amazing. Montepulciano is cool too, but if you had to pick one, I’d go to montalcino. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

We used maps.me for directions instead of Google maps, both driving and walking. Just download what you want in advance and it's prefect off line. Yes, wifi is everywhere. We have Verizon and also have the $10 a day. I registered for it, but never used it. Didn't need it.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, Longhorn94 said:

Wrote elsewhere - maybe on this thread - but eater.com has a very reliable well-curated restaurant list for many italian cities. 

Siena i liked sosta di volente and Gallo nero

Florence fishing lab alle murate

rome theres as many bad restaurants as there are food. Theres a huge Eater guide on new-wave roman square pizza…place called Pizzarium is insane and must-not-miss place

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

In my opinion, yes, go to Siena. Four days in Florence seems like a lot.  I would try and grab two nights in an agriturisimo and just day trip into Siena. Park outside the city walls and walk in. 

Drop a pin on your phone when you park.   I speak from experience. 

• 4 weeks later...

Update: Italy is still a great hang. Spent a terrific 10 days bouncing around Northern Italy, primarily in and around Monforte d’Alba and Tremezzo on Lake Como. Also went to a Juventus game, which was great fun (they lost to a scrub team in the final minute of stoppage time, so not great for their fans).

I suck a trip photos, but here are a few

1. Magnum of 96 Barolo for the first lunch

2. The town of Barbaresco

3. View from our villa deck at sunset overlooking Monforte d’Alba with the Alps in the background

4. One the ridiculous white truffle dishes from Piazza Duomo

5. On a boat in Lake Como coming up on (I think) Menaggio

6. Just some casual truffle pizza at our hotel in Tremezzo.

A8DA620F-62A1-4BD8-A5F0-AED067F90ECD.jpeg

7BCE817E-ABDC-4181-B394-AD5F1E3EB020.jpeg

8296DCF7-0353-4BD8-AA31-40F4656926E3.jpeg

543FC79C-1D4E-44BA-B090-1859BE8E7CDF.jpeg

4A9BAE10-F168-43CD-B352-2AFD0F8F2B3A.jpeg

B570D33B-C06A-4356-92A6-BAB709BD964E.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

Re: Rome…if you lean Marriotts then the St. Regis is one of their premier properties in the world, and the Westin Excelsior is very nice in its own right.

When I was there this past July, I also walked into the Pantheon Autograph collection and liked it but admittedly have never stayed there…it’s in a great location too.

For food, have any of you ever eaten at Osteria 44? Look it up, it’s a short walk from the aforementioned St. Regis and maybe another block or two further from the Westin. The owner Sergio welcomed us each of our three visits, tossed our menus and guided us through various 4 or 5 course meals, all have been among my favorite dining experiences anywhere, much less in Rome. It’s exceptional.

This goes for most of Italy IMO but I agree with whomever said go a couple blocks away from the tourist spots for the best food, at much better values too. Example around the Parthenon, we are a couple of times at a place mostly filled by locals called Enoteca Corsi. Very good.

For Venice, JW is best value but as I’m sure you know requires a water taxi everywhere. Have you looked at Gritti Palace or Hotel Danieli?

I can’t wait to get back to Italy, next time for a month hopefully.
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, McCroskey said:

Re: Rome…if you lean Marriotts then the St. Regis is one of their premier properties in the world, and the Westin Excelsior is very nice in its own right.

When I was there this past July, I also walked into the Pantheon Autograph collection and liked it but admittedly have never stayed there…it’s in a great location too.

For food, have any of you ever eaten at Osteria 44? Look it up, it’s a short walk from the aforementioned St. Regis and maybe another block or two further from the Westin. The owner Sergio welcomed us each of our three visits, tossed our menus and guided us through various 4 or 5 course meals, all have been among my favorite dining experiences anywhere, much less in Rome. It’s exceptional.

This goes for most of Italy IMO but I agree with whomever said go a couple blocks away from the tourist spots for the best food, at much better values too. Example around the Parthenon, we are a couple of times at a place mostly filled by locals called Enoteca Corsi. Very good.

For Venice, JW is best value but as I’m sure you know requires a water taxi everywhere. Have you looked at Gritti Palace or Hotel Danieli?

I can’t wait to get back to Italy, next time for a month hopefully.

Thank you.

We are staying at the St Regis in Rome and Venice and in an agriturismo in Tuscany. 9 days until we leave!!!!

In Tuscany, we are staying near san gimignano, we have a car and will drive through the Tuscan countryside but wanted to ask what are the vineyards that we absolutely have to go to?

Edited by Longhorn94

In Tuscany?  Go to Montalcino and taste wine in the castle at La Fortezza. Along with the enoteca in Greve it’s one of the best enotecas in Italy.  Plus you’ll be tasting Brunello.  Those two enotecas are a great option instead of touring a vineyard. 

You can day trip to the coast. No way you get a tasting at Ornellaia on such a short notice but it’s worth a call to find out. If not Grattamacco isn’t a bad substitute.  Sassicaia doesn’t do public tastings so the king of the super Tuscans is not an option. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, VABuckeye said:

In Tuscany?  Go to Montalcino and taste wine in the castle at La Fortezza. Along with the enoteca in Greve it’s one of the best enotecas in Italy.  Plus you’ll be tasting Brunello.  Those two enotecas are a great option instead of touring a vineyard. 

You can day trip to the coast. No way you get a tasting at Ornellaia on such a short notice but it’s worth a call to find out. If not Grattamacco isn’t a bad substitute.  Sassicaia doesn’t do public tastings so the king of the super Tuscans is not an option. 

Listen to this man.  I think he's pre-med or something.

• Hook 'Em 2

Here's my itinerary for a trip with the wife for 4 weeks in December and Jan. We have 8 nights or so planned for Sicily. Not all hotels are booked and plans are still fluid so if you have advice I'm open. Next to the cities where we're staying I've listed planned excursions.

Rome 5 nights

Naples/Sorrento 3 nights - Pompeii/Herculaneum, Amalfi Coast

Palermo 3 nights - Segesta, Monreale, Erice or Trapani, Selinunte ruins

Sciacca - coastal resort for 3 nights. Agrigento's Valley of the Temples,

Taormina - 3 nights

Florence - 4 nights. Lucca, Siena, Chianti, San Gimignano

Verona - 2 nights

Venice - 5 nights

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Chopper said:

Here's my itinerary for a trip with the wife for 4 weeks in December and Jan. We have 8 nights or so planned for Sicily. Not all hotels are booked and plans are still fluid so if you have advice I'm open. Next to the cities where we're staying I've listed planned excursions.

Rome 5 nights

Taormina - 3 nights

Verona - 2 nights

Venice - 5 nights

My only input here is that I would not spend the night in Naples if you can avoid it. Naples sucks. I would get there early in the day, spend three hours at the Museo Nazionale, eat some pizza and then go to Sorrento and use that as your base for Herculaneum (a half day max) and Pompeii (not quite full day). But you want to see the Museo in Naples, especially since they have moved a lot of the Pompeii artifacts there. When you go, make sure you see the Weary Herakles, aka the Farnese Hercules. It is awe-inspiring.

Also I would pick the Blue Grotto over the Tiberius Villa if you go to Capri but if you can do both go for it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

My only input here is that I would not spend the night in Naples if you can avoid it. Naples sucks. I would get there early in the day, spend three hours at the Museo Nazionale, eat some pizza and then go to Sorrento and use that as your base for Herculaneum (a half day max) and Pompeii (not quite full day). But you want to see the Museo in Naples, especially since they have moved a lot of the Pompeii artifacts there. When you go, make sure you see the Weary Herakles, aka the Farnese Hercules. It is awe-inspiring.
Also I would pick the Blue Grotto over the Tiberius Villa if you go to Capri but if you can do both go for it. 
I disagree. Especially since if you are going to be there in December/January, that means most of Capri is shut down, and what is open through the Amalfi Coast will be limited. Naples actually has a lot to see and do no matter the time of year.
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:
1 hour ago, BHMCruiser said:

I disagree. Especially since if you are going to be there in December/January, that means most of Capri is shut down, and what is open through the Amalfi Coast will be limited. Naples actually has a lot to see and do no matter the time of year.

I hate Naples

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, BHMCruiser said:
I hate Naples

Ok. Not sure why, but to each their own.

I was just there (spent 4 nights) and it was a lot of fun. Cheap as all get out too. Lots of culture and history spanning back to the Greeks, good food, excellent wine. Completely unlike anything else in Italy.

However, if your trip is in Dec/Jan, Capri will basically be closed. Most of the Amalfi Coast is as well.

Edited by PenelopeWitherspoon
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Chopper said:

Rome 5 nights

Taormina - 3 nights

Verona - 2 nights

Venice - 5 nights

Would love to hear the Sicily part of this when you get back. Or anyone else that wants to chime in. 

I’ll be there in June for like 5 nights on the back end of a northern Italy trip and have never been. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah, also interested in Sicily.  

Also, just to go full disclosure on Capri and the Amalfi Coast.  Not EVERY place closes.  So for instance, the Blue Grotto may be open, but they will close it for rough seas or high winds, which is pretty common in the November to March time frame.  

https://www.capri.net/en/s/la-grotta-azzurra

Personally, I love Capri.  I think it is one of the prettiest places in the world.  I am just not sure how it will be in January. I have been in June and September. 

On the Amalfi Coast, the latest I have known people to go is late October/early November.  Most of the hotels and a lot of restaurants shut down.  The best way to see the Coast is from the water, and it is hard to get a boat to take you out due to those rough seas/high winds.  Also, the water does get cold during that time of year.

Edited by PenelopeWitherspoon

A friend pretty much echoed all that @PenelopeWitherspoonsaid about Naples. It's supposedly great in December too because they are known as the center of the universe for xmas creches, or whatever the plural of creche is. Personally I dgaf about creches but it should be a lively place and beautifully decorated for the season. Some hotels and restaurants in Sorrento close for the winter, it's a small town anyway, and it will be an easier day trip there from Naples than vice versa.  Also Naples won't be sweltering hot like it is in the summer.

3 hours ago, Chopper said:

Verona - 2 nights

I enjoyed the heck out of Verona when I went there in May of 2014.  Weather was absolutely beautiful and really loved the town.  But two nights is about all you'll need.

I ate horse there for the first and only time in my life.  It was braised, and it was fantastic. 

• Hook 'Em 1

57 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I enjoyed the heck out of Verona when I went there in May of 2014.  Weather was absolutely beautiful and really loved the town.  But two nights is about all you'll need.

I ate horse there for the first and only time in my life.  It was braised, and it was fantastic. 

Yep. Verona is cool. I also saw horse as an offering, but did not partake. 

15 hours ago, South Austin said:

Horse is delicious.