Georgia Defense: an Analytical Summary

sushihorn

1 hour ago, sushihorn said:

Let's be specific.  2 TDs late in the 4th Q against Tennessee, including one set up by a RZ fumble.  Mizzou: 63 yd fumble return TD, INT starts the offense goal to go resulting in a FG, blocked punt TD.  Florida: RZ fumble--->TD, fumble at GL--->FG.  UK: 65 yd punt return sets up short field TD.  And of course Georgia didn't hit 30 regardless against Bama, LSU and Auburn.

So is something that's true against everyone in conference save SC and Vandy a pattern or not?  Feel free to point out where I'm wrong.

Against Tennessee, UGA is up 24-0 with about 9 minutes to go in the 3rd quarter... and you are concerned about our inability to sustain long drives and the two touchdowns put up by our backups late in the 4th quarter?  The first fourth quarter TD was a 13 play 75 yard drive which ate up 7:39 on the clock (so your definition of late is only relative to how long we milked the clock).

Against Missouri, our defense/special teams scores 2 TDs in the first half giving us a 20-7 lead at the half.  Our offense scores 3 touchdowns on 4 drives in the 3rd quarter alone.  Up 40-22 with 14:52 to go in the game, your concern is our offenses inability to put up 30 points as we drain 9:32 off the clock in the fourth quarter in a game that saw 68 bulldawg players on the participation report.

Against Florida, we are up 23-11 at the start of the 4th quarter.  When we get the ball after a Florida FG, our first team offense scores 9 plays, 75 yards in 2:33.  Florida goes 3 and out.  We go 6 plays 66 yards in 3:44 (5 of the 6 plays were runs being capped off by a 33 yard run by Swift.  So your concern against the #10 team in the country is that we got a short field after 2 forced fumbles in 10 of our 36 points (beating the #10 team in the country by 19)?

Against Kentucky, we are up 28-3 at the end of the third quarter where one of our four TD scoring drives was less than 54 yards.  We milk over 10 minutes out of the 4th quarter.  Our participation report again is over 65 players on the road against the #14 ranked team in the country.

In three of the four specifics, we played a ton of backups late (Florida being the exception).  We don't go into a game with a goal to score 4 long offensive TD drives.  The goal is to win.  And if comfortably, we want to prepare our 4 and 5 star under-class backups so they can help us in November, December, and January.

I appreciate you looking for a "flaw" in our offense.  We score fine.  

1 minute ago, Sgt Hulk said:

2 things worry me.  Hager getting destroyed on the regular like last game. and possibly revisiting this thread Wednesday morning. 

It wouldn’t surprise me to see Hager back to an overhang type position... like B backer instead of straight 4i on run downs. He’ll fare better in that position. 

Roach, Nelson, Omenihu, Hager, 

GJ, wheeler

davis, Locke, sterns, Jones, Boyd 

I’d like see more BJ Foster in place of Locke. And don’t forget Overshown who will be a downhill hitter too. There is opportunity to get creative at LB if we are able to slow inside run

1 hour ago, sushihorn said:

You're experiencing cognitive dissonance because most of the coverage is following ESPN in unfailing praise of Georgia.  I'm pointing out some of their flaws which only looks jarring against a background of uninterrupted congratulations.

I don’t really watch ESPN, unless there’s a game on. They stopped caring about sports & highlights and care more about pushing a political agenda... but if you want ESPN to stop pumping up the SEC, other conferences need to start beating them more regularly during bowl season or the regular season. 

Looks at championships by the SEC not named Bama. Of the past 10 BCS/CFP champions, not named Bama, 5 still came from the SEC. The next best conferences have 2. And if you remove Bama all those years, that would mean many times another SEC team would’ve taken their place in the NC. UGA would’ve crushed ND in 2013, LSU would’ve won when they rematched Bama, UGA would’ve won it last year, and so on. See why they think the SEC is good now?

Thankfully UGA & UT got scheduled years down the road. Should be some epic games if Kirby and Herman keep building these teams. 

33 minutes ago, So_co said:

Here's a better way to look at it.  

D'Andre Swift conference games only averaged 6.90 yards per carry

Elijah Holyfield conference games only averaged 5.91 yards per carry

These numbers mean more because they cut out the weaker games as you noted, but also only include carries where the game was on the line and not when the third, fourth, and fifth stringers were salting away the game.  

Agreed.  Swift/Holyfield have 302 total carries.  The rest of the team has 235.
Swift and Holyfield produce 6.599 yards per attempt.  The rest of the team has 5.43 ypa.

235 attempts means about 18 carries per game for someone other than Holyfield/Swift (i.e. cutting out a lot of cupcake time and finishing out blowout games which most were).

1 hour ago, Teddy said:

I don’t really watch ESPN, unless there’s a game on. They stopped caring about sports & highlights and care more about pushing a political agenda... but if you want ESPN to stop pumping up the SEC, other conferences need to start beating them more regularly during bowl season or the regular season.

ESPN sets the tone for national sports coverage, much as the NY Times does for international news and the Washington Post for domestic political coverage.  Thus, even if you don't watch (or read them), you still kinda do.  ESPN also has a huge investment in the SEC so of course they are talking their book.

34 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

ESPN sets the tone for national sports coverage, much as the NY Times does for international news and the Washington Post for domestic political coverage.  Thus, even if you don't watch (or read them), you still kinda do.  ESPN also has a huge investment in the SEC so of course they are talking their book.

ESPN is invested in pretty much every conference. So you have no point there. 

• Fuck You 1

25 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Actually, the Big 12 is a FOX conference, which helps to explain some of the national misperceptions of what the non-OU-or-Texas teams are all about.

That’s why I said “pretty much” every conference, meaning almost all of them. 4 out of the 5 major conferences they have covered, yet they’re “biased” towards one of those 4... that doesn’t make financial sense to eliminate 3/4 of the fan bases/schools you paid a ton of money to televise. Perhaps the SEC is pretty good at football. If you still doubt the non-Bama SEC football prowess, please reference my non-Bama SEC champions above comment. 

1 minute ago, Teddy said:

That’s why I said “pretty much” every conference, meaning almost all of them. 4 out of the 5 major conferences they have covered, yet they’re “biased” towards one of those 4... that doesn’t make financial sense to eliminate 3/4 of the fan bases/schools you paid a ton of money to televise. Perhaps the SEC is pretty good at football. If you still doubt the non-Bama SEC football prowess, please reference my non-Bama SEC champions above comment. 

Which are you counting? Big 10 is certainly not espn. It’s fox as well. 

2 minutes ago, taybo20 said:

Which are you counting? Big 10 is certainly not espn. It’s fox as well. 

The B1G is Fox and ESPN. Ever notice all those B1G games on ESPN, cause I have. They have a lot of money tied up in 4 of the major conferences. 

Just now, Teddy said:

The B1G is Fox and ESPN. Ever notice all those B1G games on ESPN, cause I have. They have a lot of money tied up in 4 of the major conferences. 

Ever notice how fox owns 51% of the big 10 network? And how all their big games are on fox, such as the CCG and Michigan/osu? At least know what you are talking about. 

ESPN certainly has their hand in each conference. But you are foolish to think it’s the same as they have in the SEC network. Which extends far beyond football even.

2 minutes ago, taybo20 said:

Ever notice how fox owns 51% of the big 10 network? And how all their big games are on fox, such as the CCG and Michigan/osu? At least know what you are talking about. 

ESPN certainly has their hand in each conference. But you are foolish to think it’s the same as they have in the SEC network. Which extends far beyond football even.

Ok, you’ve convinced me, it’s a conspiracy, the SEC is trash. They are held up by the powers that be at Disney... The non-Bama SEC national champions facts above (as you’ll notice, that no one has felt the need to debate) are irrelevant. The SEC’s bowl record, OOC record against the P5, being named best conference by numerous non-ESPN outlets nearly every year, most players in the league, by far best recruiting classes, etc. are also irrelevant. 

Please note, outside of my first two smart ass sentences above, I’ve stated nothing but facts. Please have facts, instead of generalized theories, when you reply. 

Just now, Teddy said:

Ok, you’ve convinced me, it’s a conspiracy, the SEC is trash. They are held up by the powers that be at Disney... The non-Bama SEC national champions facts above (as you’ll notice, that no one has felt the need to debate) are irrelevant. The SEC’s bowl record, OOC record against the P5, being named best conference by numerous non-ESPN outlets nearly every year, most players in the league, by far best recruiting classes, etc. are also irrelevant. 

Please note, outside of my first two smart ass sentences above, I’ve stated nothing but facts. Please have facts, instead of generalized theories, when you reply. 

I’m not debating because you never responded to me either. And your posts with those stats has nothing to do with points I made, so why should I respond.

furthermore I’m not saying there is a conspiracy in any of my posts. But if that makes you feel better to say then so be it. I’m just correcting things you’ve said. Especially when you want to say you are espousing only facts. You brushed past the fact I just posted about the Big 10 Network. So don’t think you are on any high ground. 

Just now, taybo20 said:

I’m not debating because you never responded to me either. And your posts with those stats has nothing to do with points I made, so why should I respond.

furthermore I’m not saying there is a conspiracy in any of my posts. But if that makes you feel better to say then so be it. I’m just correcting things you’ve said. Especially when you want to say you are espousing only facts. You brushed past the fact I just posted about the Big 10 Network. So don’t think you are on any high ground. 

The SEC is also apart of CBS, so that’s equivalent to the Fox deals with other conferences, agreed? I didn’t realize I was going to need to break down every dollar and percentage breakdown for these TV contracts... my main point stands, ESPN is pretty much equally invested in 4 of the 5 major conferences. If anything, the ACC is the only all-ESPN conference, shouldn’t they be pumping them up to support all these theories? 

16 minutes ago, Teddy said:

The SEC is also apart of CBS, so that’s equivalent to the Fox deals with other conferences, agreed? I didn’t realize I was going to need to break down every dollar and percentage breakdown for these TV contracts... my main point stands, ESPN is pretty much equally invested in 4 of the 5 major conferences. If anything, the ACC is the only all-ESPN conference, shouldn’t they be pumping them up to support all these theories? 

To be fair, you brought up facts.

Well I think the big difference comes down to the SEC Network. That clearly is a step above since that’s a co-venture with ESPN. Though next August espn will launch the ACC network which at that point will be very equal to the SEC network. ACC as of this past year still had games on non-espn owned channels, so they weren’t espn only as you said. And the other 3 networks don’t have ESPN networks. That makes sense right? Texas has their own with ESPN which about the closest thing. And if you stick around these parts you’ll hear the joke about the “burnt orange media conspiracy” (BOMC). CBS National is very much about the SEC. that’s there focus for sure on saturdays and it’s the only conference they cover.

the silly thing about this argument is that it really isn’t one. My position is that the SEC is the best football conference. It just so happens they also have an espn owned network designed to showcase their sports. And because ESPN likes to use their talking heads in cross-over fashion you have personalities on both channels talking sports across their family of networks. That’s not conspiracy, it boils down mostly to good business. I certainly don’t think they get put in CFP or bowl games or whatever because of ESPN. And I don’t Necessarily agree with other theories

Now can we talk some football?

Edited by taybo20

4 minutes ago, taybo20 said:

To be fair, you brought up facts.

Well I think the big difference comes down to the SEC Network. That clearly is a step above since that’s a co-venture with ESPN. Though next August espn will launch the ACC network which at that point will be very equal to the SEC network. ACC as of this past year still had games on non-espn owned channels, so they weren’t espn only as you said. And the other 3 networks don’t have ESPN networks. That makes sense right? Texas has their own with ESPN which about the closest thing. And if you stick around these parts you’ll hear the joke about the “burnt orange media conspiracy” (BOMC).

the silly thing about this argument is that it really isn’t one. My position is that the SEC is the best football conference. It just so happens they also have an espn owned network designed to showcase their sports. And because ESPN likes to use their talking heads in cross-over fashion you have personalities on both channels talking sports across their family of networks. That’s not conspiracy, it boils down mostly to good business. I certainly don’t think they get put in CFP or bowl games or whatever because of ESPN. 

Agreed. And to be clear, the conspiracy theory statement wasn’t aimed at you. Moreso someone else above. 

The branding of the SEC as the preeminent conference by ESPN has been more than a decade long process. When it began in earnest in either 2006 or 2007 the difference between the conferences in terms of talent wasn't as big as it is today. Which goes to show you the effect the constant blaring of terms like "SEC speed" & "SEC defense" can have on young minds if they hear them ad nauseum on every college football broadcast regardless of what teams are playing for 10 to 12 years straight. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

14 hours ago, Teddy said:

It's all about the money and there it's not even close.  ESPN owns 80% of the SEC network.  It owns ZERO percent of the Big 10 and Pac 12 networks.  There are no Big XII and ACC networks.  So not only does the SEC network produce more money than even the Big 10 net but ESPN owns virtually all of it.

Yet you express shock that an equity controller would promote a product they own outright.  You attack this completely predictable outcome as a "conspiracy theory" because you can't refute it.  Self-interest is one of the few constants in human nature and ESPN has it in spades WRT to the SEC.

13 hours ago, Teddy said:

Ok, you’ve convinced me, it’s a conspiracy, the SEC is trash.  

Obviously nobody is suggesting this. It is entirely possible (and common) for something to be both "good" and "overrated." (See college QB Tebow, Tim.)

I'd posit that the SEC is generally overrated. Bama isn't. Georgia isn't. But there exists an idea that all member teams are a step ahead of all others in college football by virtue of their membership of the conference. As the previous poster states, terms like "SEC defense!" - when used to describe that of Vandy or South Carolina or Ole Miss or Tennessee or the vast majority of the conference - imply some sort of mystical mojo that simply isn't real. And that's what makes it overrated - many teams get extra credit simply for being members. 

Again, none of that means that Georgia is anything less than a really good, extremely talented team. 

6 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Obviously nobody is suggesting this. It is entirely possible (and common) for something to be both "good" and "overrated." (See college QB Tebow, Tim.)

I'd posit that the SEC is generally overrated. Bama isn't. Georgia isn't. But there exists an idea that all member teams are a step ahead of all others in college football by virtue of their membership of the conference. As the previous poster states, terms like "SEC defense!" - when used to describe that of Vandy or South Carolina or Ole Miss or Tennessee or the vast majority of the conference - imply some sort of mystical mojo that simply isn't real. And that's what makes it overrated - many teams get extra credit simply for being members. 

Again, none of that means that Georgia is anything less than a really good, extremely talented team. 

This is true. If Texas has one game to play, and they have to win it, I'd feel more comfortable playing Vandy, South Carolina, Ole Miss, or Tennessee than K-State, Iowa State, Oklahoma State, or Tech. Hell, throw aggy in there as well -- 7 out of 10 times, that's a win, too.

24 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

It's all about the money and there it's not even close.  ESPN owns 80% of the SEC network.  It owns ZERO percent of the Big 10 and Pac 12 networks.  There are no Big XII and ACC networks.  So not only does the SEC network produce more money than even the Big 10 net but ESPN owns virtually all of it.

Yet you express shock that an equity controller would promote a product they own outright.  You attack this completely predictable outcome as a "conspiracy theory" because you can't refute it.  Self-interest is one of the few constants in human nature and ESPN has it in spades WRT to the SEC.

Yes or no. Do you think the SEC is the best overall conference? 

26 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

I’d point to bowl records and OOC records against the P5 if you want to know there are still pretty good teams outside the top few SEC teams. Or number of players in the league that help boost that mythical defense and speed aura. 

But either way, we can agree to disagree. Good luck to you guys today, hope it’s a great game. Cheers 

4 minutes ago, Teddy said:

I’d point to bowl records and OOC records against the P5 if you want to know there are still pretty good teams outside the top few SEC teams. Or number of players in the league that help boost that mythical defense and speed aura. 

But either way, we can agree to disagree. Good luck to you guys today, hope it’s a great game. Cheers 

OK. I'd point to the fact that two perennial B12 also-rans went to the SEC and have fared no worse than they did in the B12 as a counterpoint (they've arguably fared better in the SEC).

And I agree that there are "pretty good teams" outside of Bama and Georgia. All I'm saying is that the delta between the overall quality of these SEC teams and their counterparts from other P5 conferences is exaggerated. If you want to look at bowl games, look at the last few days - Baylor and Vandy (both had sub-.500 conference records) are about even. Ok St and Mizzou are about even. The middle of the two conferences are about even. The difference is at the very top. (And obviously the SEC has 40% more teams than the B12, so comparing in terms of overall quantities doesn't really work - e.g., a count of top-25 teams, etc.)

So, sure - the SEC is the best conference and has been overall for the last decade or so. But it is an exaggeration when talking heads/fans speak of the SEC as though it is a completely different level of football, in my opinion. Alabama plays a different level of football than almost every other team in the country (how they've achieved that, and accumulated and maintained next-level talent so consistently, is discussed in detail in other threads); Georgia has few peers in terms of talent and production the last couple of seasons too. But they're head and shoulders above other SEC programs too. 

And disagreeing is fine, happy new year.

4 hours ago, Teddy said:

At the top? Yes. Top to bottom? No. It's easily the most unbalanced of all the conferences. Georgia happens to be at the top, of course, but the mid-tier SEC teams are frequently hot garbage. Several of them are only bowl eligible every year because of 8 game conference schedule and multiple FCS opponents. Then throw in the criminal aspect of the SEC getting to arrange favorable bowl opponents, and you get an overrated conference.

11 hours ago, sushihorn said:

Not to mention the actual dollars invested. There's no comparison as far as actual dollars spent. The NFL, MLB, &  NBA may be the only thing ESPN spent more actual dollars on. 

On 12/31/2018 at 1:18 PM, So_co said:

Thanks for the warm welcome.  😎

I know you're looking at the sack numbers, and making a judgement based on them being lower than one would expect.  That's fair.  The reality is you are going to be surprised at how uncomfortable in the pocket UGA will be able to make Sam during this game. 

any more questions?  

On 12/31/2018 at 12:50 PM, Gaffords said:

Georgia still can't find the QB and with no pressure on a qb like Sam he's goung to push the ball deep to two monster recievers or fuck you across the middle with Beck.  That is, when he's not raping you for 15 -20 yards a run.  Oh and our backs are no bumsby any means...

Our offense is not OU's by any means. But two of our recievers will have to be doubled all night and they love to go deep right down opposite sidelines which really puts alot of pressure on your linebackers to cover a lot of green in the middle against some other talented and speedy recievers...  Covering the middle just so happens is NOT Georgia's strength any more than getting pressure on quarterbacks... your middle is really going to be sooo soft seeing that you will have to leave a spy for Sam or he's going to truck your secondary like bowling pins seeing that your big fat boys up front are going to be too far apart and too slow to offer any help when he feels like stretching his legs... Those big and physical recievers and our TE are pretty good at removing group tacklers, leaving him one on one with some poor soul in the wrong place at the wrong time...

Oh we really haven't used the backs out of the backfield much as recievers, but it is something he's been known to use in the past and i seem to remember our transfer catching some balls while he was with Cal. Ingram seems to have decent hands also, but seeing Georgia's suffers in the pass rush, it would be a perfect time to throw in some serious wrinkles with something Georgia hasn't seen on game film...

Georgia's vanilla Offense is tailored to play right into the only "strengths" Texas has on defense. Run up the middle-play action offenses got stuffed early and were forced to the air and plenty of picks...

What these Georgia dumb fucks on here don't realize is that our losses (outside of the championship) and close wins have ALL been self inflicted.  I don't know if we fixed the boneheaded problems we had on defense, but most of our games should have been huge blowouts...  between 4th quarter defensive naps (or completely taking off one of rhe two halves), stupid offsides, uneccessary holdings, retarded personal fouls, you name it...  However many yards we gave up on defense per game, we gave up another half as many in stupidity... We probably set some sort of record for putting teams looking at 3rd and 17-20 just to give them the first down with penalties that were committed awa from the ball...   If this team cut out only half of the stupid mistakes per game, we would look dangerous. If the defense would've played 4 full quarters, we would have ended with no more than one loss and multiple blowouts...  If we've gotten these issues anywhere close to normal, it could be a LONG NIGHtT for Georgia fans..,

Instead of responding to all you dung fans that quoted this...  

Anymore questions?  

Nailed it....   When Bevo tried to fuck your doggy doggie, it was over for your anus.

On 12/31/2018 at 4:47 PM, taybo20 said:

I certainly don’t think defensively we are as good, certainly not up front on the line. And I’m not sure we are as good at LB either. And we are going to have to hope we can score because we will get scored upon. 

Not facing a pure RPO team with mobile QB will help us no doubt. That is where we struggled mostly, though to be fair so did other defenses in our conference. Our plan will be similar to what we have done all year which is spill everything outside and rally fast. We are gonna need to get some turnovers to win, which has been kind of our MO all year.

offensively, I’m interested in seeing if we can attack the middle of the field by getting your LBs guessing. We don’t run great route combos usually, and we run quite a few long developing routes. We also haven’t faced many teams that run pattern match zones. Usually it’s straight zone or man single high. Bracketing LJH or CJ is smart for you guys to do imo. I hope we run more intermediate routes and that we do some pass options off of zone reads which we have. We have to keep your defense honest. Sam will have to make plays with his legs. Qb draws leading to swing passes, and then deep shots and seam passes will kind of be our offense. Kind of what we’ve done all year. 

Basically there isn’t a lot of difference I see in how we play on either side of the ball which is good for us. I’m just not sure in uga leans on the running game what we will look like in the 4th quarter 

Boom

Georgia played a lot more 4 DL sets than I was expecting, especially 4-2 nickel.  That secured the strongside off-tackle contain but I was pleasantly surprised when Cosmi and Beck were able to reach and seal the DE several times for a soft corner.  Having only the 2 ILBs on the field left them the classic problem of too big a bubble between their 5 tech DE and their CB.  Multiple backward passes into a quick sweep were able to exploit it and get the offense rolling for Watson.

Also notice how many times the defenders were left grabbing at air.  That happens when you're accustomed to tackling 225-230 lb power backs and than a 195 lb guy executes a 2 gap jump cut.  I loved the play calling to get to the perimeter quickly when they played the NB over the slot as an overhang box defender.  The bubble is normally between the DE and slot defender but in that situation it moves to between the NB over the slot and the CB with force responsibility while being blocked.  The disguised coverages did force Sam to take some time to diagnose them occasionally, which was most of the reason for the 2 sacks.

Of course the biggest difference maker was Sam.  Several times, Georgia's pass rush got close and flushed Sam from the pocket only for him to pick up good yardage scrambling.  It's terribly demoralizing.  Other than Hurts, UGa hasn't seen anything like him.  He's not the home run threat with his feet that Hurts is but Sam sure is a difference maker on short yardage and goal line.  Sam's runs sustained drives long enough to wear down the D Line.  Once the RBs started to get ahead of the chains on straight inside zone you knew the defense was in trouble.

Edited by sushihorn
  • Like 5

Instead of responding to all you dung fans that quoted this...  
Anymore questions?  
Nailed it....   When Bevo tried to fuck your doggy doggie, it was over for your anus.

Per your analysis ... Those targeting penalties for 30 yards to give them a shot at 21 say fml again...

26 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

Georgia played a lot more 4 DL sets than I was expecting, especially 4-2 nickel.  That secured the strongside off-tackle contain but I was pleasantly surprised when Cosmi and Beck were able to reach and seal the DE several times for a soft corner.  Having only the 2 ILBs on the field left them the classic problem of too big a bubble between their 5 tech DE and their CB.  Multiple backward passes into a quick sweep were able to exploit it and get the offense rolling for Watson.

Also notice how many times the defenders were left grabbing at air.  That happens when you're accustomed to tackling 225-230 lb power backs and than a 195 lb guy executes a 2 gap jump cut.  I loved the play calling to get to the perimeter quickly when they played the NB over the slot as an overhang box defender.  The bubble is normally between the DE and slot defender but in that situation it moves to between the NB over the slot and the CB with force responsibility while being blocked.  The disguised coverages did force Sam to take some time to diagnose them occasionally, which was most of the reason for the 2 sacks.

Of course the biggest difference maker was Sam.  Several times, Georgia's pass rush got close and flushed Sam from the pocket only for him to pick up good yardage scrambling.  It's terribly demoralizing.  Other than Hurts, UGa hasn't seen anything like him.  He's not the home run threat with his feet that Hurts is but Sam sure is a difference maker on short yardage and goal line.  Sam's runs sustained drives long enough to wear down the D Line.  Once the RBs started to get ahead of the chains on straight inside zone you knew the defense was in trouble.

you could see the life slowly leave the G defense all night long.   When Sam pushed those three (would be) tacklers back for 4 extra yards...  DONE

14 hours ago, Teddy said:

No. Only one team has won anything meaningful in a decade, and that's Bama. Everyone else rides their coattails. There's zero evidence that proves the conference as a whole is better than any other conference not named the PAC. 

16 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

No. Only one team has won anything meaningful in a decade, and that's Bama. Everyone else rides their coattails. There's zero evidence that proves the conference as a whole is better than any other conference not named the PAC. 

It depends on the year.  The SEC was 4-5 in bowls last year but had 9 bowl wins the year before that.  Bama is the dominant team in FBS.  After that it's about like any other conference.

4 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

It depends on the year.  The SEC was 4-5 in bowls last year but had 9 bowl wins the year before that.  Bama is the dominant team in FBS.  After that it's about like any other conference.

Exactly. It's one team and everyone else going to hang on their tit. Other than winning championships, it's no different than Tex/ou. Georgia gets the Mack Brown hype. Dominates recruiting, but has nothing else to show for it. I don't buy the Georgia is elite bs. They have 2 NCs their entire history, and play in the weakest of the sec conference. Their schedule is a joke, too.

2 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Taking it back even further than the past decade, the SEC's supposed success was all due to two all-time great coaches (Saban & Meyer). That's literally what the past 15 years of SEC slob nobbing has been based on. They were lucky enough to have 2 historically great coaches coaching in the league at the same time. 

I wish I mentioned this before, because I thought it going into the game, but Georgia is Bama 1.0. Kirby mimics everything about Saban's philosophy prior to his issues with spread teams. Overgrown Dlinemen, bigger than necessary LBs, and an overly conservative offense that prides itself on ball control and the QB not doing anything to fuck it up. With the SEC East being what it is, Georgia won't face as many competent spread teams with dual threat QBs as Saban did in the West with Ole Miss, Auburn, & Aggy (and even Miss St when Dan Mullen was there) . And thus he may be more resistant to changing his proclivities in the future. 

Sam Ehlinger played like a man amongst boys.  He seems like a great kid.

I knew he would be trouble as a mobile QB and all of the attention that your WRs were going to need. But he showed out like an mvp.  We don't have the linebackers to contain a player like that.

Great game.  The better team won.

• Like 5

Good game guys. UGA apparently left their offense on Bourbon St, much of it to do with your defense, but a lot of dumb mistakes as well. That led to UGA's defense being on the field a little too much. Ehlinger was the difference maker, he made a ton of great plays. Congrats, and please beat OU for the Big12 title next year, and we'll try to knock Bama off their perch. Deal? :) Good luck on national signing day and next season. Cheers

• Like 4

It's been a pleasure having you guys around. We have fans from all around the country so dont be afraid to hang around and post about your team if you dont have a main board already. Or even if you do. We are pretty accommodating and welcoming of about anyone aside from obvious trolls which you guys don't [squints] appear to be.

I believe the reason for the SEC's "prominence" and stature can be attributed to one man and one man only: Nick Saban.  Prior to his national title at LSU in 2003 the college football landscape was radically different.  The BCS era had produced champions in Tenn, FSU, OU, MIami, and Ohio State; a very well balanced representation of conferences and regions.  But Saban created a monster at LSU by bringing that program to prominence on the field and recruiting trail.  Saban was so good that even Les Miles was able to win a natty at LSU in '07.  Saban then ends up at Bama where he builds another monster program.  LSU and Bama have won seven of the past 15 national titles.  And possibly eight of the past 16.  That accounts for so much of the "SEC myth".  If Saban never coached in the SEC what would the college football landscape look like?  Much different, in my opinion.

4 hours ago, Terry Silver said:

I believe the reason for the SEC's "prominence" and stature can be attributed to one man and one man only: Nick Saban.  Prior to his national title at LSU in 2003 the college football landscape was radically different.  The BCS era had produced champions in Tenn, FSU, OU, MIami, and Ohio State; a very well balanced representation of conferences and regions.  But Saban created a monster at LSU by bringing that program to prominence on the field and recruiting trail.  Saban was so good that even Les Miles was able to win a natty at LSU in '07.  Saban then ends up at Bama where he builds another monster program.  LSU and Bama have won seven of the past 15 national titles.  And possibly eight of the past 16.  That accounts for so much of the "SEC myth".  If Saban never coached in the SEC what would the college football landscape look like?  Much different, in my opinion.

I stated earlier in this thread, of the last 10 non-Bama national champions, 5 still came from the SEC. The next closest conferences have 2 each. 

2 minutes ago, Teddy said:

I stated earlier in this thread, of the last 10 non-Bama national champions, 5 still came from the SEC. The next closest conferences have 2 each. 

Good job counting the two Saban-fueled titles at LSU he already mentioned.

Of the last 10 non-Saban national championships, 3 came from the SEC. 

• Like 3

On 12/31/2018 at 5:18 PM, Teddy said:

Looks at championships by the SEC not named Bama. Of the past 10 BCS/CFP champions, not named Bama, 5 still came from the SEC. The next best conferences have 2. And if you remove Bama all those years, that would mean many times another SEC team would’ve taken their place in the NC. UGA would’ve crushed ND in 2013, LSU would’ve won when they rematched Bama, UGA would’ve won it last year, and so on. See why they think the SEC is good now?

Thankfully UGA & UT got scheduled years down the road. Should be some epic games if Kirby and Herman keep building these teams. 

Like how you just remove Bama and automatically assume their spot would've gone to another team in the SEC. Oregon (#4 BCS) was better than Florida (#3 BCS) that year. The year before when Bama got the bullshit rematch, I don't think it's a given that LSU would've walked over Oklahoma State or Oregon (game vs Ducks would've been a rematch of Week 1 at Jerryworld). Regarding last year, Oklahoma blew (thankfully, BTW) the semifinal game against Georgia -- not to mention it was slightly ridiculous Bama even got in to the CFP in the first place after losing to Auburn.