3. Davis
4. Johnson
5. LJH
6. Anderson
7. Nelson
8. Locke
9. Watson
10. Beck

What’s awesome is that there are talented players behind every one of these positions.

agree with this list but substitue vahe for ljh, since he doesn't belong there.   those thinking beck will be missed, or at least at the top of the list of those missed, are delusional.  we are loaded at te.  we'll be fine there.  

55 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

agree with this list but substitue vahe for ljh, since he doesn't belong there.   those thinking beck will be missed, or at least at the top of the list of those missed, are delusional.  we are loaded at te.  we'll be fine there.  

Leitao and Brewer... that's not loaded. everyone else else is a TE project.

1 hour ago, thrillhammer said:

Loaded with what exactly?

Brewer-barely played, coming off a major knee injury

Epps- Who knows?

Leitao- Potential?

Cummins- Converted DL

2 incoming Fr. in Wiley and Liebrock.

• Like 1

Yeah, that's delusional. We might be loaded at TE in two years, when Brewer is a senior, Leitao is a RS Soph, Epps has actually put on enough weight and learned to block inline, and Liebrock is ready to play (of course, we could lose a couple of the older guys as well depending on how Liebrock/Wiley develop).

34 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

And neither are in Beck’s league as a blocker.

I wouldn’t have him at the top like the op, but many are seriously underselling him.

Yep.  Beck was a threat on a bunch of short patterns and the occasional seam route.  It was funny to watch a LB or S in coverage on Beck look back to the QB and see Beck level them blocking for a swing pass or screen.

49 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Yeah, that's delusional. We might be loaded at TE in two years, when Brewer is a senior, Leitao is a RS Soph, Epps has actually put on enough weight and learned to block inline, and Liebrock is ready to play (of course, we could lose a couple of the older guys as well depending on how Liebrock/Wiley develop).

come on man.  we threw 300 passes this year, 30 went to the TE.  we'll have 7 TE's on the roster next year with beck and fehr leaving and wiley and liebrock coming in. that's loaded, considered how seldom they're used.  beck could block, and he was a positive presence and influence as far as leadership goes, but he will not be missed like some of the others listed that had major impacts on the game.

2 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

come on man.  we threw 300 passes this year, 30 went to the TE.  we'll have 7 TE's on the roster next year with beck and fehr leaving and wiley and liebrock coming in. that's loaded, considered how seldom they're used.  beck could block, and he was a positive presence and influence as far as leadership goes, but he will not be missed like some of the others listed that had major impacts on the game.

We have good prospects, but three of those guys are probably a year away (at least), another has shown nothing so far, and a third has potential but needs to develop into a good blocker.

22 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

If you’re viewing Beck’s impact (and the role of the TE in this offense more generally) solely through the prism of pass receptions, you’re doing it wrong.

1 hour ago, formermav43 said:

And neither are in Beck’s league as a blocker.

I wouldn’t have him at the top like the op, but many are seriously underselling him.

Something to think about/watch for heading into the spring drills is how often Daniel Young gets looks in the A-Back role. He's an excellent blocker, he knows the offense, and he's also a terrific receiver out of the backfield. They already played a TB there with Warren III in 2017 and had success. I'm not saying I've heard this anywhere, because I haven't. I'm just thinking about patterns and personnel and this one seems like a legitimate possibility in my mind. Who knows, though? I'm accused of being mentally unhinged by folks regularly, so this could be another scenario in which the real world and my fantasyland don't match up at all.

16 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Gary Johnson and Boyd are the most talented guys we are losing.  I am going to say Gary, because I think it’s reasonable to expect sophomore versions of Cook and Jalen Green to be at least solid players next year, unless the recruiting rankings were wildly off.  DB is the position we’ve recruited elite guys at, so we ought to be reloading when starters leave even if there are some hiccups from inexperience.

I don’t think we necessarily are there yet at LB.  Floyd and Overshown are the elite prospects there, and one will be a true freshman and the other might still be more of a safety.  I like Caleb Johnson as a prospect, but everyone seems to be acting like he’s Gary redux.  Gary was an Alabama recruit in high school, the top rated JUCO LB, and has legit sprinter speed.  It still took him half a season to really settle in, and he was more primed to make an immediate impact than the guys we have coming next year.

I like our DL and OL situations way more than I thought I would a few months ago, although OL ideally needs a grad transfer.

I agree TE is an issue next year even if it’s ok in the future with the young guys.  I’d like to see more 4 WR next year, but that’s not Herman’s style.  He even resisted going there in 2017 for a few games when Garrett Gray was our TE.

I disagree regarding depth at LB. With this group coming in, we'll have talented depth. Experience? Yeah, we're short there. My concern at CB has more to do with the league we play in versus the talent on, or coming to, campus. 

I think finding a GT TE is plausible, if not probable. I think finding a GT CB is like hunting for a unicorn or a dragon in the wild - no fucking way they find one that can compete with the talent being accumulated.

• Like 1

Boyd/Davis early on (might even cost us a game early) -- for the whole season maybe Watson, Anderson, and Gary.  I am hopeful missing Omenihu is not as bad with the talent next year.

Edited by UTDD