Best Fried Chicken

Both Tacos

1 hour ago, DougO said:

Church's here had huge wings. They have the big hunk of juicy shoulder meat they hack off the breasteses, best part of the chicken. But they had a fire and now they're closed, probably for good. Place needed to rebuild somewhere else long ago. Their management was total crap.

Became my favorite part of the chicken, would use the dinner rolls they served to make chicken sliders out of them.  

<——— Church’s alum. 

5 hours ago, Zepol87 said:

Alot of shit has already been said that I would agree with but if you are ever up in Plano Poor Richards cafe has some bomb ass fried chicken. 

it's been about 15 years but last time i had their fried chicken it was terrible.  i just get a bad batch?

Nearly 40 years ago, my family pulled into Albuquerque later than we anticipated.  The only nearby place to eat was the no-name skeezy diner sort of "attached" to whatever cheap motel dad had us staying in on our one-night layover on the way to Colorado or somesuch.  We sit down, and one of the menu items is "half a fried chicken."  I INSISTED on ordering it.  The waitress cautioned that they cooked it to order, so it would take 20 minutes or so.  Whatever, I wanted fried chicken, even though it was pushing 9:00 pm.  So, I sit there, starving, for close to a half hour.  Then my chicken came out.  Four huge, beautiful pieces, cooked perfectly.  The chicken was juicy as hell, and definitely brined.  Simple seasonings, but cooked perfectly and served fresh.  We all agreed it was some of the best chicken we'd ever had.

There's still plenty of random places like that -- a diner that just knows how to fry the hell outta some gotdamn chicken.  And when you find one, it's like hitting the lotto.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Liteitup said:

Any one been to Allen's in Sweetwater? I want to try it but can never time my trips to make it work.

http://thetexasbucketlist.com/2016/10/the-texas-bucket-list-allens-family-style-meals-in-sweetwater/

It's damned fine stuff.  And it's actually 1) a pretty cheap lunch, 2) your family will love the grub, and 2) will love the experience.  Sit at a big common table with strangers, saying "please pass the mashed potatoes and fried chicken."  The place is an American treasure.  It ain't the BEST fried chicken in the world (it's a touch bland -- you're in white folks W. Texas, after all), but it's pretty good just the same.

29 minutes ago, Liteitup said:

Any one been to Allen's in Sweetwater? I want to try it but can never time my trips to make it work.

http://thetexasbucketlist.com/2016/10/the-texas-bucket-list-allens-family-style-meals-in-sweetwater/

It's a great experience, as Brisket said.  All you can eat.  The food just keeps coming without you asking for it.  The tab was just $10 even.  Crazy.

1 hour ago, Longhorn Al said:

I forgot to list Church's in my favorites.  I only know the one on Manchaca.  I've only been there a couple times in years, but it's delicious.  Those biscuits are insane.  Chicken is crispy.  And they have the best mac n cheese of any chicken place I've tried.

It's crispy, without being hard as a rock. That is my biggest complaint with Popeye's, as of late. You can damn near break a tooth on it, at times.

My cousin took me to Chandler’s Deli in Knoxville last weekend while there for a wedding.  Before going my uncle said that “we don’t want to go there for lunch because we are gonna want to eat dinner at the reception.”

it was a complete shithole and 2 of the 12 tables were covered with all kinds of junk like a hoarder lived there.  But the fried chicken pieces were huge and way better than anything i’ve had in Austin.  The thigh I had was bigger than most breasts at other places and we got 4 wings to go that completely filled up a large to-go container.  The sides (greens, m&c, cabbage, etc) were good, too. Recommended.

I was still full, but managed to eat dinner that night.