Best Fried Chicken

Both Tacos

Lucy's sucks major peen. Their sides are even worse than their chicken. I would assume Gus's is the best in Austin - haven't actually been to that one but have been to the one in Little Rock and they know what they're doing. Not that "best fried chicken" is a contest with many entries in Austin. 

A place I've been to recently that I liked a lot was Street's Fine Chicken in Dallas. Good chicken, good sides, good lunch special. Any place that makes collard greens worth a shit is alright in my book. 

Wait, they gave it to Lucy's for the whole state? 

giphy.gif

I was thinking it was just for Austin. How are you gonna pick a place in the whitest major city in Texas for "best fried chicken"?

Edited by ztejas

Lucy's was great the first week it was open at the original location. It had tons of seasoning. They very quickly cut it back to the rather pedestrian seasoning they now have.

Tumble 22 is the best in town.  Gus' is solid but I've had it at the original spot in Memphis and it is much heavier seasoned and spicy there than the Austin outlet.

Edited by CooterBrown

Only had it once, thought it was fine.  I’d take Gus’s, Top Notch or even Bill Miller over it.   Babe’s might be the best in Texas, could just be the family style service that sways this opinion.  

Best I’ve had: 

Pies & Thighs - Brooklyn

Babes

Gus’s

The Mixing Bowl - Vernon, NJ(honey dipped chicken)

4 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Babe’s might be the best in Texas

Let's all calm down a bit. The real answer is going to be some hole in the wall place in East Texas that only 2 or 3 people on this board even know about. Oh and can I add Fried Chicken to the overrated thread? Sure it's fine, but I get tired of it fairly quickly.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

Babe's/Bubba's is the truth. Not going to champion it as best in the state. I think @SimonBolivar has the right take here. Either that or somewhere on the wrong side of Dallas or Houston. 

That said, there is a definite ceiling for fried chicken. Once it's reached a certain point it's hard to improve much past that imo. Lucy's has never been close to that point, however. 

Back in the day, I would have voted for Dot's Place as the best fried chicken in Austin.  Something similar in East Texas, Houston, or Dallas would probably top the list now.

You can't convince me that anyone working at Lucy's can cook fried chicken better than Dot.

food_mini-6861.jpeg

Edited by Jerry Callo
  • Like 3

30 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

Bill Miller is actually my favorite out place for fried chicken in Austin.  Don't laugh until you tried it

Agreed...It's damn solid.

43 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Either that or somewhere on the wrong side of Dallas or Houston. 

This

Saw some study reference that eating fried chicken weekly would take 15 years off the mean life expectancy.  Shit, we had that every Sunday when I was a kid.  I thought the beatings were the attempt to kill me.  Old Mom was way craftier than I ever suspected.

I like Lucy's from time to time.....but it's overpriced, and not consistent.

Bill Miller's is very solid.  So is Top Notch.  And yeah, Randalls is actually pretty damned good.  But....I will always love me some Popeye's, and maybe some Church's spicy.  Tumble 22 is also pretty damned good.  I haven't had Gus's yet.

4 hours ago, phdhorn said:

Yes, it's Lucy's by a longshot.  Everybody go there... hurry!

(Bill Miller is actually my favorite out place for fried chicken in Austin.  Don't laugh until you tried it... its awesome and you get all the rolls you can eat)

Half and half tea, hash browns and a jalapeno too.   Highly underrated. 

1 minute ago, huge said:

well......no

But there is a Gus's now in Houston that is pretty good.  Last time I was there the pieces were really small though.  

Well I was just asking, since the point of the original post was, best fried chicken in Texas.

Gus's is also in Austin now, I think it's very tasty.  I hear it's not as good as the original, which I have never had.

3 hours ago, NBMisha said:

Saw some study reference that eating fried chicken weekly would take 15 years off the mean life expectancy.  Shit, we had that every Sunday when I was a kid.  I thought the beatings were the attempt to kill me.  Old Mom was way craftier than I ever suspected.

The one last week? Thought it was daily. 

3 hours ago, NBMisha said:

pbsuckedayear.gif

• Like 1

Babes in Garland. Get orders to go. SUPER crunchy. (the best thing about fried chicken) Heat the leftovers in oven about 10 minutes. Still crunchy 24 hrs later. Plus all those sides are like you have went to grandmas house and for Sunday dinner. 

Yep, every time I go there it’s filled with fat fucking disgusting slobs , so you know it’s good
  • Like 1

the sunday fried chicken at killens bbq is about as damn good as fried chicken can get.  The wings at Breakfast Klub may be even better.  Gus's is damn good in Houston, Austin, and los angeles.  not sure why anyone would eat that flavorless, mealy shit at Roscoe's in LA when you can get Gus's.  

ANd of course in Houston, Frenchy's.  

Edited by pepper brooks
  • Like 1