Texas @ Rice Game Thread

Horny Bull

3-1 on the road to start the season given our opponents is reason enough to be happy.  I don't know what's more unrealistic though...that we take 4 against Purdue, or what we even get 4 games in this weekend given the weather.   I'd say 3-0 is more likely.  And overall, damn fine way to start the season.  Congrats to this young team for taking care of business on the road and they deserve a great homestand for the next couple of weeks.  

10 minutes ago, Lobo said:

3-1 on the road to start the season given our opponents is reason enough to be happy.  I don't know what's more unrealistic though...that we take 4 against Purdue, or what we even get 4 games in this weekend given the weather.   I'd say 3-0 is more likely.  And overall, damn fine way to start the season.  Congrats to this young team for taking care of business on the road and they deserve a great homestand for the next couple of weeks.  

Purdue was a regional team last year.  I don't think LSU is as good as everyone says, I also don't think Purdue is as bad as you think.

• Like 1

Just now, petscii said:

Purdue was a regional team last year.  I don't think LSU is as good as everyone says, I also don't think Purdue is as bad as you think.

They were swept by Southern Miss this weekend but Southern Miss is good. Sounds like they lost a lot of players from last year's team. 

https://www.purdueexponent.org/sports/mens/baseball/article_46a10036-3143-11e9-bafe-4f5fd8f4c6bf.html

"Although Purdue’s season last year was magical, it may be hard to get the same production out of this year’s group. Purdue lost four players to the draft and a handful of other players who were key during last year's run.

Jacson McGowan and Nick Dalesandro, two of Purdue's best players behind the plate, were both drafted. Tanner Edwards and Ross Leonard also departed from Purdue for the draft. Gareth Stroh, No. 2 in the pitching position, transferred to Nebraska."

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, petscii said:

Fair point.  4-1 this week should be the goal with Purdue and SHSU.  I just don’t see how we play 36 innings with this weather though.  But hey, here’s to a fun weekend.  

10 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

They were swept by Southern Miss this weekend but Southern Miss is good. Sounds like they lost a lot of players from last year's team. 

https://www.purdueexponent.org/sports/mens/baseball/article_46a10036-3143-11e9-bafe-4f5fd8f4c6bf.html

"Although Purdue’s season last year was magical, it may be hard to get the same production out of this year’s group. Purdue lost four players to the draft and a handful of other players who were key during last year's run.

Jacson McGowan and Nick Dalesandro, two of Purdue's best players behind the plate, were both drafted. Tanner Edwards and Ross Leonard also departed from Purdue for the draft. Gareth Stroh, No. 2 in the pitching position, transferred to Nebraska."

Good info.  Midwestern teams always seem to have a few guys who can rake, and I wouldn't be surprised if their Friday starter is pretty good.  After that, could be some depth issues.