Help Me Choose My Paint

First off, I'm not going with the cheap HD/Lowe's brands.  Only need about 2 quarts (2 diff colors), so I might as well get the good stuff.  I was quoted $600 (rolled, $100+ for sprayed) by a pro to re-paint my front door and the surrounding trim with SW Duration.  I honestly thought it was about twice as expensive as I expected it to be, hence, I'm looking at the DIY brushed/rolled route.  I do need to do some prep work of cleaning the door, followed by sanding some peeling paint/exposed wood, and replacing the brick mold with PVC brick mold.  The first question I have is, do I need to re-prime the trim work and fresh PVC brick mold?  The pros showed pics of what they were using in their quote and showed INTERIOR latex paint.  Is this the correct paint to use for an exterior door?  I was planning on using an exterior Sherwin-Williams paint that is either the Emerald Exterior Acrylic Latex or their Emerald Urethane Trim Enamel (Int/Ext).  Has anyone used either of these paints?  I've read reviews on the Urethane that it is not very user friendly.

Lowes/HD sells paints in all quality/price ranges.  The expensive stuff at a big box is better than the cheap stuff at a paint store any day of the week.  To dismiss them is foolish.  

Sure, a specialty paint store is great, but assuming that "cheap stuff" is all that Lowes/HD sells is dumb.  

9 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

Lowes/HD sells paints in all quality/price ranges.  The expensive stuff at a big box is better than the cheap stuff at a paint store any day of the week.  To dismiss them is foolish.  

Sure, a specialty paint store is great, but assuming that "cheap stuff" is all that Lowes/HD sells is dumb.  

Actually, Emerald is SW's top of the line paint...I'm willing to put that against Lowes/HD "expensive" stuff any day.

Edited by Spur08

13 hours ago, Spur08 said:

First off, I'm not going with the cheap HD/Lowe's brands.  Only need about 2 quarts (2 diff colors), so I might as well get the good stuff.  I was quoted $600 (rolled, $100+ for sprayed) by a pro to re-paint my front door and the surrounding trim with SW Duration.  I honestly thought it was about twice as expensive as I expected it to be, hence, I'm looking at the DIY brushed/rolled route.  I do need to do some prep work of cleaning the door, followed by sanding some peeling paint/exposed wood, and replacing the brick mold with PVC brick mold.  The first question I have is, do I need to re-prime the trim work and fresh PVC brick mold?  The pros showed pics of what they were using in their quote and showed INTERIOR latex paint.  Is this the correct paint to use for an exterior door?  I was planning on using an exterior Sherwin-Williams paint that is either the Emerald Exterior Acrylic Latex or their Emerald Urethane Trim Enamel (Int/Ext).  Has anyone used either of these paints?  I've read reviews on the Urethane that it is not very user friendly.

Go with Sherwin Williams.  They keep all of your paint purchase in their system so if you need  additional paint in the future for touch ups or a repaint,  you can call them up and pick it up  at your local store.  

• Like 2

On 3/7/2019 at 11:17 PM, zork said:

SW has some nice paint.  looks like they are running a 30% off sale for all of march as well:

https://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/products/exterior-paint-coatings/exterior-paint

Thanks for this. I’m apparently in the market for several hundred dollars worth, to be applied by Easter. Fml. 

• 2 weeks later...
Did you roll that on the door or brush it? Any thinner?
* Looks great
Foam mini roller. Scrubbed, sanded, and primed with Zinsser 1-2-3 beforehand. I think I did three coats of the SW.

I was actually planning on removing the door and spraying the final coat, but the roller turned out better than I expected.

9 hours ago, Okie State said:

Foam mini roller. Scrubbed, sanded, and primed with Zinsser 1-2-3 beforehand. I think I did three coats of the SW.

I was actually planning on removing the door and spraying the final coat, but the roller turned out better than I expected.

Well, I used SW Resilience.  Really the only reason I chose that was b/c the guy said it was the only one that they had in quarts.  I added some flotrel (sp?) to it and just brushed it on w/ 3 coats.  I'm very happy with the turnout, really.  If anything, I wish it took 1 coat less.  I'll post pics at some point if I can remember

• Like 1