Wine

Hollywood

Popped a Sojourn Sonoma Coast tonight to go with sous vide lobster tails and flatiron steak.  Sojourn may be one of the best values in Sonoma.   I've yet to have a bad bottle (cab or pinot noir) and even their most expensive cab is around $100.

If you're not familiar with them, I'd suggest you try them out.

47445D91-50ED-43A5-A345-E1C54A518EC2.jpeg

Edited by DDD Dad
  • Hook 'Em 1

23 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

Tapa? I almost never can get them to post anymore. Have to use safari on the phone. Too many clicks.

Not tapa but I used to be able to upload to imgbb and copy paste. Now it doesn’t work regardless of what I try and I haven’t yet been inclined to figure out why. Just know that there are some special wines being consumed over the next two weeks and if I get enough gumption I’ll figure it out. Maybe @immamac can give me a couple of quick pointers to help out. 

I like Elin McCoy, the wine person at Bloomberg.  Her taste has not steered me wrong.  Bloomberg has a recent article on wines under $25, most from Portugal.  I love Portuguese wine, but it is not as easy to find stateside.  

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-03-18/best-wine-under-25-from-portugal-home-of-the-secret-bargains?srnd=premium&sref=knoriXqz

13 hours ago, HenryJames said:

Portuguese Vinho Verde blends Albariño with other grapes, but Albariño by itself is good. Especially with shellfish. Spain’s Galicia produces a lot of good Albariño, and Do Ferreiro is the benchmark. And it’s under $30.

I love Galician Albarino.  Such a good summer drinking wine.  

I am going to look for that one. 

15 hours ago, HenryJames said:

How was the Monfortino?

It was a good bottle. The fruit is mostly gone but the tertiary flavors are all solid. Still quite acidic and the tannins are soft but still present. A well kept bottle probably has another 25 years or more left in it. Overall an excellent wine. 

@milkman, your life fascinates me...you have weekly "little get togethers" celebrating something in which you drink the equivalent of $15K worth of wine each time.  at some point, you are going to have spill the beans or at least start inviting me.  i turned 40 last year, let's get together and celebrate.  i'll come to you.

[mention=841]milkman[/mention], your life fascinates me...you have weekly "little get togethers" celebrating something in which you drink the equivalent of $15K worth of wine each time.  at some point, you are going to have spill the beans or at least start inviting me.  i turned 40 last year, let's get together and celebrate.  i'll come to you.

My life is interesting, perhaps, but hardly fascinating.....I'm just part of a group thats happens to be enthusiastic drunks!

25 minutes ago, milkman said:

My life is interesting, perhaps, but hardly fascinating.....

The details of my life are quite inconsequential... very well, where do I begin? My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. My childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When I was insolent I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds- pretty standard really. At the age of twelve I received my first scribe. At the age of fourteen a Zoroastrian named Vilma ritualistically shaved my testicles. There really is nothing like a shorn scrotum... it's breathtaking- I highly suggest you try it.

• 2 weeks later...