Sales Price of a House

Texas Tax Code 41.461 requires the appraisal district to produce any evidence it plans to use in an appraisal hearing at least 14 days before the hearing, but you have to request it.  Send the appraisal district a letter requesting this info. I did this, and they sent me some comps. That being said, best thing is to have a realtor friend pull some comps for you so you’re not just getting the highest comps produced by the appraisal district. 

11 minutes ago, Catpfish said:

Why would the county know the sales price unless it has been used in a previous protest (or the owner is an idiot)?  Texas is a non-disclosure state and there is no way to determine sales price from the recorded documents

I'm used to other states where the info is on the county's tax appraisal site.

51 minutes ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

I'm used to other states where the info is on the county's tax appraisal site.

No worries. Technically, the county is not supposed to have access to the MLS data, but you'd be hard pressed to convince me that they don't have a backdoor in. They also "prey" on first-time home buyers who don't realize that they don't have to report the sales price when they file for the homestead exemption.  It's disclosed on the form but you'd have to read the fine print...and nobody got time for that

1 hour ago, luke duke said:

e13015f457dc8ae7aa9aea1c57d0e306.gif

Okay, I'll bite.  Which recorded document show the purchase price?  I guess you could back into a price on an FHA loan by assuming a 3.5% down payment, but where are you going to get the down payment on a conventional? 

20 hours ago, Catpfish said:

Okay, I'll bite.  Which recorded document show the purchase price?  I guess you could back into a price on an FHA loan by assuming a 3.5% down payment, but where are you going to get the down payment on a conventional? 

it would be on the warranty deed, but the state only requires you to put $10 in the place of the purchase amount.  So in texas you don't have to disclose, but you can.  i made sure the title company did not include the sale price in the warranty deed of my recent home purchase.

The usual wording is "$10 and other valuable consideration."  I have seen the same wording on deeds from the 1930's and 40's.  To be honest, I have never seen an actual price included in a deed (although I haven't read more than 4 or 5 dozen and I"m not a lawyer).

The deed of trust will have the secured amount on it. You can work backwards from there to get a very rough ballpark assuming somewhere between 3.5% and 20% down.

If you register for Redfin, you can access sold prices.

Or call one of your 50 real estate agent friends and have him/her pull comps for you.