RIP Gino Marchetti

smwhorn

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2833880-ex-colts-hall-of-fame-de-gino-marchetti-dies-at-age-92?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

Never really heard much about this dude.  Fought the Nahtzees in the Battle of the Bulge.  11 Pro Bowls.  9 time First Team All-Pro.  Sounds like a bad ass.

Rest in Peace Gino.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, smwhorn said:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2833880-ex-colts-hall-of-fame-de-gino-marchetti-dies-at-age-92?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

Never really heard much about this dude.  Fought the Nahtzees in the Battle of the Bulge.  11 Pro Bowls.  9 time First Team All-Pro.  Sounds like a bad ass.

Rest in Peace Gino.

Yeah, he was a badass, which is most likely an understatement on our part.

It is great when a NFL star lives so long after his playing days that it is hard to find people still alive who watched him play. A great player for one of the greatest College Football teams of all time: the 1951 San Francisco Dons. A true legend.

• Like 1

My dad, who by no stretch of the imagination was ever a colts fan, told me many times "now son, THAT is one hell of a man".

BTW dad where is pretty much of the ultimate badass himself. So I took that as a hell of a compliment for Gino.

Edited by SHOOTER12

He was a WWII vet, a highly decorated NFL player, and started a restaurant business in '59 that he sold to Marriot in '82 with 300+ locations. That's a hell of a life.

It's indicative of our culture that his passing will receive 1% of the attention that celebrity actors/rock stars receive when they OD after a bender. 

Edited by Blotto
  • Like 2

Deacon Jones, who himself was a certified badass and in the forefront of the conversation as the best DE of all time, said that Marchetti was the best DE he ever saw, describing Marchetti's game as "perfect."  That should tell everyone what they need to know about Gino Marchetti. 

Edited by Carl Spackler
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Blotto said:

He was a WWII vet, a highly decorated NFL player, and started a restaurant business in '59 that he sold to Marriot in '82 with 300+ locations. That's a hell of a life.

It's indicative of our culture that his passing will receive 1% of the attention that celebrity actors/rock stars receive when they OD after a bender. 

Not really. When those people OD they are at the height of their stardom. Gino has not been a star for 50 years. Only old people and nerds like me even know who he is anymore. It would be the same for those actors if they lived to be 93.

Edited by Valmy77

10 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

Oh I know him very well but only because I was addicted to NFL Films shows when I was a kid. 

These WWII vets played with such unbridled fury and love for the game.  They had witnessed the worst that humanity could offer and they played the game without fear because they had already faced the ultimate in fear.  They "brought it" on each play.  I love watching these old clips.  The dirt, grime, grass stains, and mud from playing on real grass added another look and feel that enhanced the ruggedness of the game.  RIP Mr. Marchetti.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, mininghorn88 said:

These WWII vets played with such unbridled fury and love for the game.  They had witnessed the worst that humanity could offer and they played the game without fear because they had already faced the ultimate in fear.  They "brought it" on each play.  I love watching these old clips.  The dirt, grime, grass stains, and mud from playing on real grass added another look and feel that enhanced the ruggedness of the game.  RIP Mr. Marchetti.

When Art Donovan, RIP, was nearing the end of his career one of his younger teammates said something like "Football is war!" and he replied with "I have been in a war and that was where I shit myself while sitting a hole, I haven't done much of that playing football."

Ok I probably butchered that story but it was something like that.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

Not really. When those people OD they are at the height of their stardom. Gino has not been a star for 50 years. Only old people and nerds like me even know who he is anymore. It would be the same for those actors if they lived to be 93.

All of the people sucking David Crosby's dick say hello....

7 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

When Art Donovan, RIP, was nearing the end of his career one of his younger teammates said something like "Football is war!" and he replied with "I have been in a war and that was where I shit myself while sitting a hole, I haven't done much of that playing football."

Ok I probably butchered that story but it was something like that.

Donovan also was in HOF and a fantastic speaker. Google Donovan and the Tonight Show and see how many good stories he had.

RIP Gino.

The Colts back in that day were a very popular franchise.  A lot of their players were very well known,  Johnny U probably being one of the most recognized.

Those teams with Johnny U,  Gino Marchetti,  Art Donavan,  Ray Berry,  Lenny Moore,  and John Mackey (a little later) were a big part of the popularity and growth of the NFL.  

• Like 1