Grateful Dead General Thread

Hate

I spent my NYE with a bottle of bourbon, a fine cigar, and the Grateful Dead Movie. It had been a while since I watched it. Man, it still holds up. Start-to-finish it’s a masterpiece.

As you may know, I’m a Bob Weir fan. That he has a hot daughter is just a nice distraction. She seems pretty cool and well balanced and apparently has a seat on the bus.

IMG_0806.thumb.png.54b00f249717bd317b44bb1dcd0d8f9d.png

She’s posted other pics from school and on vacation. And from being on tour. Check out her dad in this one. :)

IMG_0803.thumb.png.06ddc4e0708ef7e126999053a823d344.png

Bobby rules. And so does Monet. Apparently one of her efforts on tour is giving miracles, and about this one she wrote: “Featuring the moment of the very last Miracle given out for the @deadandcompany Final Tour, to a very nice man named Photon.”

IMG_0805.thumb.png.542194b0a06f5aaf9cd2e060c655ab31.png

Anyway, and please excuse my lengthy preamble before finally getting to the point of my post, I was reminded last night of a moment you might have missed in the GD movie. It’s where they’re setting up the stage and the Wall of Sound and planning/tuning. You get some spacey tune-up licks from Jerry, some Phil messing with his amps, then Bobby, then Betty Cantor-Jackson (of Betty-boards fame) nursing her baby during the interview, and then the unforgettable moment of Phil (who appears to me to be high as hell but what do I know?) improvising with the camera feedback. That part with Phil is the anchor. That’s the memorable takeaway. But did you notice the part where Bobby was playing Sage & Spirit and how he was picking it with both his pick and his middle finger?

For reference, from 1975’s Blues for Allah:

So much of what Bobby does can go unnoticed if you’re not paying attention. Another example that I’ve been meaning to mention but haven’t gotten around to it is this from Providence 6/28/74 (keeping with the ‘74 motif). Did you ever notice Bobby playing the theme of Heaven Help the Fool near the end of a very fine Spanish Jam?

Again for reference (if you don’t own this album, you should):

Heaven Help the Fool is such a great song. It’s a shame the Dead only played it as an instrumental. I mean, I get it, they’re not Dead-ish lyrics, but it’s an awesome song.

I’m sure I’ve posted this before but, again, just for reference.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 1/1/2024 at 11:39 AM, WhatTheBuck said:

I spent my NYE with a bottle of bourbon, a fine cigar, and the Grateful Dead Movie. It had been a while since I watched it. Man, it still holds up. Start-to-finish it’s a masterpiece.

As you may know, I’m a Bob Weir fan. That he has a hot daughter is just a nice distraction. She seems pretty cool and well balanced and apparently has a seat on the bus.

Bobby rules

So much of what Bobby does can go unnoticed if you’re not paying attention. Another example that I’ve been meaning to mention but haven’t gotten around to it is this from Providence 6/28/74 (keeping with the ‘74 motif). Did you ever notice Bobby playing the theme of Heaven Help the Fool near the end of a very fine Spanish Jam?

One of my very favorite things to do is to listen to follow Bobby during songs.  I'm always so amused at the things I hear him play and how he just perfectly provides the spoke of the Jerry/Phil wheel. 

Here he is isolated for China Cat>I Know you Rider

He's a special talent and I've always thought his part would be the hardest part to replace.  That isn't to say that Jerry and Phil weren't just fucking brilliant, but part of their brilliance was due to being able to count on Bob.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm on a work buzz and i can't sleep, so I'm up listening to some Wharf Rats.  "i got no dime but I got some time to hear his story"....is there a better lyric ever??  Some of my favorites are 5/28/77 and 7/7/89.  Such a beautiful song!

• Like 1

I'm a little bit of everywhere tonight, but settled on this show from 1980.  It's a pretty damn fine show if I do say so.  It has a fantastic Shaekdown to start the second set.  The Althea>Lost Sailor>Saint of Circumstance>Don't Ease Me In is pretty goddamn good!

On 1/26/2024 at 11:37 PM, Hate said:

I'm a little bit of everywhere tonight, but settled on this show from 1980.  It's a pretty damn fine show if I do say so.  It has a fantastic Shaekdown to start the second set.  The Althea>Lost Sailor>Saint of Circumstance>Don't Ease Me In is pretty goddamn good!

This show is one of my regular stand-bys. 

~~~~~

BB1hz5gY.png.5fd11dde9a30b10530be2de612900c5b.png

• Hook 'Em 2

Photo reminds me of a cool hat i saw on a MILF the other day at dropoff.  It was the 'steal your face' image but I couldn't make out the backdrop on it because I was busy doing crossing guard duty and have shitty vision.  So I see her later inside at assembly.  It was the lightning bolt and color scheme but instead of the skull, it was Lake Tahoe.  I was so enthralled with the design, I barely noticed her nearly see-thru yoga pants.  /csb.  

Like I told you...what I said....

• Hook 'Em 1

remember when they played their last show, like 20 times? really enjoy the contempt they have for their fanbase. we're gonna milk you out of all your money and you'll beg for more. 

They were really careful to say that was their last “tour”. They even said at the end of it that it wasn’t the last time they would play together. I Amy try to catch one of the shows up there. Who else would you rather see at the Sphere? I think mushrooms are even legal in Vegas now. That might be a great way to see a show!

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, stc said:

remember when they played their last show, like 20 times? really enjoy the contempt they have for their fanbase. we're gonna milk you out of all your money and you'll beg for more. 

Yeah, but who gives a shit? 

Very few people, if any, who went to anything billed as "final" went only for that reason. 

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Very few people, if any, who went to anything billed as "final" went only for that reason. 

that is absolutely not true. i personally know multiple people who shelled out $300 a ticket to see a show on the final tour. no way in hell they were going without that "final" label. 

Only time you worry about no more “final/farwell” shows is when the Dead actually die.  All members of all eras are merely conduits by which the music flows thru to our consciousness.  All else is commentary.  One day, twenty years from now…Mickey Hart will slap his hand on the breakfast table thrice, in perfect syncopation.  He will tilt over and Go to sleep forever.  And that as they say; will be that. We will have had 80 years of wonderful music, live and recorded.  And you will know us by the trail of smiles.  

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, stc said:

that is absolutely not true. i personally know multiple people who shelled out $300 a ticket to see a show on the final tour. no way in hell they were going without that "final" label. 

Then they took the place of people who would have wanted to be there regardless. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Hate said:

They were really careful to say that was their last “tour”. They even said at the end of it that it wasn’t the last time they would play together. I Amy try to catch one of the shows up there. Who else would you rather see at the Sphere? I think mushrooms are even legal in Vegas now. That might be a great way to see a show!

The visuals on the interior of the Sphere would be next level. Far and away the coolest visuals they will have ever had, because it will be like every seat is practically on the front row. 

Minds will be blow !

🤯

PS- If you don’t understand the difference between residency in a single location a few times a week vs shlepping all over the country/ continent/ multiple continents, then I can’t help you.

Elton John has also given up “touring”, but I would definitely expect him to continue to perform and could see him at The Sphere. 

Edited by Napoleon

12 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

And it's okay to be friends with dimwits, posers, and doofuses, too.

well sure, that's the first tenet a deadhead has to accept. these people make up half the crowd afterall. 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Hate said:

I've been in New Orleans this past week and as I drive through the puke stained streets at 5 AM, this song always comes to mind.

I love that version of the song.  There was a few months about 10 years ago where I'd listen to this video after work when the office was empty over and over again.  I only saw it played once live over 23+ shows, but this one hits the feels.

Also---what the fuck are you doing driving in New Orleans?  You not aware of taxis or ubers?  And at fucking 5am?  Do we need to have an intervention again?  

Where I go to work there are no Ubers, taxis, or otherwise.  I have to drive, but it gives me lots of time to listen to the Grateful Dead!  I also drive straight down St Charles Street where the have the bandstands all set up.  Its like I'm in my own Mardi Gras parade when I leave the hotel at 5 AM.  It's always fun to count the puddles of puke along the way.  I miss it already.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Hate said:

Where I go to work there are no Ubers, taxis, or otherwise.  I have to drive, but it gives me lots of time to listen to the Grateful Dead!  I also drive straight down St Charles Street where the have the bandstands all set up.  Its like I'm in my own Mardi Gras parade when I leave the hotel at 5 AM.  It's always fun to count the puddles of puke along the way.  I miss it already.

New Orleans is such a repulsive shit hole. 😂

You do make it sizzle just like the last time I was there. I couldn’t wait to get our group together and get the fuck out of that hell hole. 

Yeah Mardi Gras!!

(Or any number of days out of each year.)

23 hours ago, Hate said:

Stolen from Reddit.

IMG_1280.jpeg

I'm not trying to be a dick or rude or anything here - legitimate question. 

Why is this supposed to be funny or clever or amusing? I feel like I have to be missing something in order to understand this meme. Like it's a song reference that I'm overlooking, or that Iggy Pop has a history of trying to fuck strange objects or something. 

A buddy of mine sent me this meme yesterday as well, and when I pressed him to explain what I was missing, the best he could come up with was to say "testicles," and while an amusing retort, that doesn't explain the meme at all. And further probing was similarly futile. 

Screenshot_20240211_100640_Messages.thumb.jpg.47320fa758cd38310ce7fcb7aba9b048.jpg

Edited by Prepuce of Doom

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...