Elizabeth Warren 2020

Hugo Stiglitz

1 minute ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

We are all very proud of your previous activism in the democratic process.  I’m sure none of us can compete with your level of campaign experience. 

It's a simple and relevant question, Hugo. Have you ever organized for a campaign before?

If you have, and anything regarding the Bern app seems untoward, I would be curious as to what you actually did when organizing in the past. Warren's Reach app is the exact same thing as Bernie's Bern app and the OFA apps/scripts we used for Obama. It's all the same things we've been doing for decades but with an app. What do you think we were doing in the past with our clipboards?

One has to have organized political campaigns to think that asking campaign workers to doxx their neighbors is a privacy violation? Look, I don't really care that much because all of our information is out there in far more nefarious hands than Bernie's campaign. But it's a bit over the line. I know you know it is. But it's not really a big deal and you don't have to take it upon yourself to stress about every minor mistake your guy makes and turn it into a scene. Nobody's that upset, it's just being pointed out.

1 minute ago, BradInATX said:

One has to have organized political campaigns to think that asking campaign workers to doxx their neighbors is a privacy violation?

Who is asking people to doxx their neighbors? Do you know what words mean, Republican?

Look, I don't really care that much because all of our information is out there in far more nefarious hands than Bernie's campaign. But it's a bit over the line.

(((nefarious Bernie)))

51 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Mojo, Brad, and Hugo, a serious question I would like for y'all to answer: Have you ever been an organizer in any significant capacity for a major campaign?

Because it honestly sounds like you haven't. 

I would really like to hear about your previous organizing experiences. I hope to get a response.

As I said in my last post, "I haven't worked on any campaigns."  But you keep avoiding the actual issue, which isn't the use of an app to help with canvassing.  Here's the statement from Bernie's campaign that started it, pulled from the other thread:

That's the issue:

—"look up people you know and indicate if they support our campaign, are undecided, or support someone else"

—"visit this link, look up some of your friends and family members, and let us know if they support our campaign or are undecided."

Not, here's some training on canvassing and an app to put the responses into a database.   Rather, click here and report on what your friends and family and other people you know personally are thinking. 

I watched the Obama video you linked and didn't see anything like that.

As I said in my last post, "I haven't worked on any campaigns."  But you keep avoiding the actual issue, which isn't the use of an app to help with canvassing.  Here's the statement from Bernie's campaign that started it, pulled from the other thread:
That's the issue:
—"look up people you know and indicate if they support our campaign, are undecided, or support someone else"
—"visit this link, look up some of your friends and family members, and let us know if they support our campaign or are undecided."
Not, here's some training on canvassing and an app to put the responses into a database.   Rather, click here and report on what your friends and family and other people you know personally are thinking. 
Actually, it does show an interface where you "reach out" to friends and family via an app. Looks like via email phone or social. I'd bet my life savings that they then take that info and put you on marketing lists.

It's not quite as bad as collecting that plus their voting preferences but would still irritate me if someone put my info in there.

8 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

Then you weren't watching. That's what the note-taking function is shown around 50 seconds in. You have no experience doing these things and you don't know what you're talking about. None.

You acknowledge that you have zero experience in this field but you're so invested in Internet arguments that you're pretending to see distinctions where there are none.

You do not know what you are talking about.

7 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Are we going to argue about the dictionary definition of "doxx" tonight? Don't play dumb.

Comparing normal canvassing activity to doxxing people is dishonest. Which is expected, since you're a Republican talking about someone who is fairly far left for American politics.

1 minute ago, BradInATX said:

I'd bet my life savings that they then take that info and put you on marketing lists.

It's not about the Bern app, it's about your collective hurt feelings. It's about the conspiracies you can imagine to make yourself feel better about being complete garbage for your entire thinking life.

2 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Actually, it does show an interface where you "reach out" to friends and family via an app. Looks like via email phone or social. I'd bet my life savings that they then take that info and put you on marketing lists.

It's not quite as bad as collecting that plus their voting preferences but would still irritate me if someone put my info in there.

Sure, that would annoy me too, but not nearly as much as the content of my private conversations. 

2 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Then you weren't watching. That's what the note-taking function is shown around 50 seconds in. You have no experience doing these things and you don't know what you're talking about. None.

You acknowledge that you have zero experience in this field but you're so invested in Internet arguments that you're pretending to see distinctions where there are none.

You do not know what you are talking about.

Comparing normal canvassing activity to doxxing people is dishonest. Which is expected, since you're a Republican talking about someone who is fairly far left for American politics.

It's not about the Bern app, it's about your collective hurt feelings. It's about the conspiracies you can imagine to make yourself feel better about being complete garbage for your entire thinking life.

Per the video, notes while canvassing from a list of voters in your area that the campaign provides.  Not "write up what you already know about your friends and family in this notes area!"

I know Bernie can do no wrong in your eyes, but it's astounding that you continue to generalize the issue to canvassing.  If someone shows up at my door for the Bernie campaign, I'm choosing to give whatever I tell them to the campaign.  If my neighbor gets that email from Bernie and follows the instructions, information that I did not choose to give the campaign is transmitted to the campaign.  They are asking to bypass my consent.  That is a real and significant distinction.  And your appeal to campaign experience to dodge it is laughable. 

Just admit it, it's ok.  You have no problem with Bernie telling people to report on the contents of past conversations without notice that it would be transmitted to a campaign.   That's fine.  We just disagree. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mojo Hand said:

Per the video, notes while canvassing from a list of voters in your area that the campaign provides.  Not "write up what you already know about your friends and family in this notes area!"

Did you notice what was typed into the notes section?

"She's in!"

What we did in that campaign and others before it is take specific notes after talking to people and telling the campaign who was interested and who wasn't. Not only would the campaign potentially use that information for specific voter targeting, but for building heatmaps for canvassing and GOTV.

I know Bernie can do no wrong in your eyes, but it's astounding that you continue to generalize the issue to canvassing. 

I make those comparisons because I actually know from experience how this works because I've done it.

If someone shows up at my door for the Bernie campaign, I'm choosing to give whatever I tell them to the campaign.  If my neighbor gets that email from Bernie and follows the instructions, information that I did not choose to give the campaign is transmitted to the campaign.  They are asking to bypass my consent.  That is a real and significant distinction.  And your appeal to campaign experience to dodge it is laughable. 

Your consent to what? What are you even talking about? Do you think that when someone knocks on your door and asks you something and you say, "Fuck off" they don't tell the home office that you aren't interested?

And, as you see in Liz's Reach video, it's not even about organized canvassing activity, but talking to people at a grocery store or anywhere.

Did you happen to watch the video that was posted? Go to about 2:10 in and she talks about looking up voters. Warren's REACH app asks for way more information than Bernie. Warren wants their cell phone numbers and e-mail addresses.

It says to put your Lyft driver in there. Doesn't say anything about "consent".

"Throw it in the app"

"Track everything. The data you gather using Reach is invaluable to the campaign."

The only distinction here is that you assume some weird nefarious motivations from Bernie for (((some unknowable reason))) but think it's cute and fun from Warren's camp. Not based on reason or logic, just one your desire to argue on the Internet.

17 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Did you notice what was typed into the notes section?

"She's in!"

What we did in that campaign and others before it is take specific notes after talking to people and telling the campaign who was interested and who wasn't. Not only would the campaign potentially use that information for specific voter targeting, but for building heatmaps for canvassing and GOTV.

I make those comparisons because I actually know from experience how this works because I've done it.

Your consent to what? What are you even talking about? Do you think that when someone knocks on your door and asks you something and you say, "Fuck off" they don't tell the home office that you aren't interested?

And, as you see in Liz's Reach video, it's not even about organized canvassing activity, but talking to people at a grocery store or anywhere.

Did you happen to watch the video that was posted? Go to about 2:10 in and she talks about looking up voters. Warren's REACH app asks for way more information than Bernie. Warren wants their cell phone numbers and e-mail addresses.

It says to put your Lyft driver in there. Doesn't say anything about "consent".

"Throw it in the app"

"Track everything. The data you gather using Reach is invaluable to the campaign."

The only distinction here is that you assume some weird nefarious motivations from Bernie for (((some unknowable reason))) but think it's cute and fun from Warren's camp. Not based on reason or logic, just one your desire to argue on the Internet.

Uh, no, I didn't read the screen of the mobile phone the person is holding in the video, and it's pretty funny that you did. But I just looked, and "she" is "Karen E.", on a list of names provided by the campaign, for whom there is a boilerplate script.   The video indicates that a canvasser went to Karen E.'s door, recited the script saying "I'm a volunteer with Obama for America", and was told by Karen E. that she supported Obama.   That's exactly what I said was fine.   It wasn't "so my mom is in, but my brother told me last week he's leaning Hillary, and I overheard my neighbor talking positively about Romney." 

All of the other interactions you describe, whether at the door or at the store, are ones in which the target is on notice that they are talking to a campaign representative.   You continue to fail to grapple with what the Bernie email asked for, which was reports on what you already know about your friends and family and anyone else.   That is, in a personal capacity, and not with notice that it is a conversation with a campaign representative. 

Maybe other campaigns do that too (although if they do, I'm surprised that you have no other examples of a similar request and are clinging to the screen of the phone in the Obama video).  But maybe it is standard practice.  Maybe you've done it in your vast, impressive campaign experience.  Hell, I'll stipulate to that.   But it's irrelevant to my view of the practice as creepy and inappropriate.  If Obama sent emails asking my neighbor to tell the campaign how I was leaning, that was creepy and inappropriate.  If Warren is doing it, that is creepy and inappropriate.

A campaign should instruct its volunteers to identify themselves as with the campaign before collecting any information from a target.  If that's not standard practice, it should be.    If a volunteer ignores that instruction, the volunteer is the asshole.  If the campaign asks for info gleaned from other, personal interactions, the campaign is the asshole. 

And your whole "you just wanna argue on the internet!" thing is pretty embarrassing.   You dredge up this complaint from months ago to attack "shitlibs" for hypocrisy with Warren, then argue and argue about normal canvassing and what's on the screen of the phone in the Obama video and other ridiculousness, without ever addressing the one point I've actually made.   You calling someone else out for just wanting to argue is Trump-level lack of self-awareness. 

Bad teammate, I think you should try to understand the concern with collecting info about neighbors without their knowledge or knowledge that it's for a campaign. That's what the Bern app launch email implied and the difference between OFA and Warrens app that people are expressing concern about.

I have extensive organizing experience, including working at a high paid position on a congressional campaign, for a Governor campaign and volunteered extensively for Obama in 08, among other campaign activity. The use I described above is not the norm. Maybe that's not what the Bernie campaign intended but youre not responding to it by claiming everyone does it 

8 hours ago, Mojo Hand said:

It wasn't "so my mom is in, but my brother told me last week he's leaning Hillary, and I overheard my neighbor talking positively about Romney." s. 

What a weird fantasy world you've created in your mind of what the Bernie campaign is.

50 minutes ago, horncyclist said:

Bad teammate, I think you should try to understand the concern with collecting info about neighbors without their knowledge or knowledge that it's for a campaign.

In your extensive experience, the people you worked for told you to only enter information after acquiring explicit consent for that information to be recorded?

The Reach app, used by Warren (and AOC and many others).

Find friends and family in Reach, include them in GOTV targeting and other campaign efforts.

What's the "implication" here?

If it came from the Bernie campaign - "Stalk your neighbors and enter as much personal information as you can so (((Bernie))) and his minions can harass them."
If it comes from anyone else - "A friendly and fun way to engage everyone! YAY!"

That's what the Bern app launch email implied ...

Only if you have some kind of social brain disease in which the demons that haunt you on Twitter are actual humans. The idea that Bernie was asking his supporters to go hide in their neighbors' bushes is an invention of the online-poisoned.

After denying the distinction altogether, now you go to the far extreme of "Lulz you think Bernie volunteers are hiding in the bushes!!"  It's a shame you can't just honestly engage with the actual issue, which is a direct request to the public to enter info already gleaned from family and friends into a database.   Your Reach quote isn't from the Warren campaign or any other campaign, and it's the campaign's responsibility to tell its volunteers how to use its technology appropriately. 

23 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

After denying the distinction altogether, now you go to the far extreme of "Lulz you think Bernie volunteers are hiding in the bushes!!"  It's a shame you can't just honestly engage with the actual issue, which is a direct request to the public to enter info already gleaned from family and friends into a database.   Your Reach quote isn't from the Warren campaign or any other campaign, and it's the campaign's responsibility to tell its volunteers how to use its technology appropriately. 

Exactly. Any of these apps have the capability to add anyone, including "friends and neighbors". You can do that in Evernote. You can do that in Microsoft Word. It's not the functionality of the app that matters.

The key difference is that one campaign is telling its people to enter data, including demographic and personal info, on unwitting friends and neighbors. The rest are not. One candidate is essentially encouraging Orwellian tactics where you enter whether or not they support Bernie, where they go to school, where they live, their contact info, and what unions they're in.

b_t knows this. The thing is that b_t is an extremist and a collectivist and he doesn't see any problem with those types of tactics. It's what he wants.

1 hour ago, Mojo Hand said:

Your Reach quote isn't from the Warren campaign or any other campaign, and it's the campaign's responsibility to tell its volunteers how to use its technology appropriately.

Sure, and you have no evidence that Bernie has asked his campaign to do anything inappropriate.

You have an inference drawn from your own paranoid suspicions, but that's not actually real.

48 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

The key difference is that one campaign is telling its people to enter data, including demographic and personal info, on unwitting friends and neighbors.

Where in Bernie's messaging does it say to do this?

https://app.berniesanders.com/help/friend-to-friend-canvass-guide/

Step One: Brainstorm a list of your contacts
Think about who you have come to know over the course of your life. How do you know who you know? On a piece of paper or in a spreadsheet, write down as many names of people you know. Some ideas for brainstorming:

• Go through your phone book or, if you use Facebook, your Facebook friend list.
  • Who would you invite to your birthday party or wedding? Where have you lived throughout your life? Who did you know in each of the places you have lived?

Try to get to at least 40 names before moving on to the next step.

Step Two: Map the people you know in the Bernie App
Open up the Bernie App, accessible at app.berniesanders.com, and go to the “Friend to Friend” section of the App.

Search each of the people on your list in the lookup fields. Add their first and last name, and either state and/or zip code, to match to their record.

Click “Look up their voter record.” Select your voter from the list of matches that appear.

If no match exists or if you are unsure, click “Not found or may need to register,” fill out the remaining fields, and select “SAVE” at the bottom of the page.

After finding the person’s voter record, you will see the “Look up their voter record” switch to a green bar that says “Matched!”

Complete the remaining fields (how you know the person, if they are supporting Bernie, and any other candidates they are interested in). Don’t worry if you don’t know which candidate they are supporting. You can leave that blank or select “I don’t know.”

• Like 1

You're leaving out the link and the context for a reason, Republican.

---------------------------------

Friend to Friend Canvass Guide

Friend-to-friend canvassing means talking to people we know – our friends, family, coworkers, classmates, neighbors, congregation members, fellow union members – about the 2020 election. This is important because no one is better suited to persuade your friends and family to vote for Bernie than you.

Through thoughtful, empathetic conversation with the people in our lives about the real issues we face together, we can build the solidarity and long-lasting, collective power needed to take on the billionaire class and transform our country.

---------------------------------

It's a list of people you have either talked to already or are going to go talk to (canvassing). Just like OFA, just like Reach.

It's the same thing.

Again, from Reach:

Find friends and family in Reach, include them in GOTV targeting and other campaign efforts.

I am open the learning the difference between "enter your friends and family into the BERN app" and "enter your friends and family into the Reach app" that isn't some vague intuition about Bernie's evil intentions.

If it counts as "unwitting" on the Bern app, then it's "unwitting" for the Reach app.

If Warren is saying, "Only enter things once you receive explicit consent from the people you are talking to and do not enter any information until after you have talked to them", then that's not something I've experienced and I think it's kind of absurd in its guardedness.

I honestly don't see the issue.  Campaign is trying to find out who likely supporters and non-supporters are to assist in their campaign to ultimately get out the folks who will vote for them.

I for one don't want to be getting out the vote at this guys house, or the house of that guy in Boyhood who chased the kids away.

giphy.gif

12 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

I honestly don't see the issue.  Campaign is trying to find out who likely supporters and non-supporters are to assist in their campaign to ultimately get out the folks who will vote for them.

I for one don't want to be getting out the vote at this guys house, or the house of that guy in Boyhood who chased the kids away.

giphy.gif

Feeling's mutual. I don't want anyone from any campaign at my door. I have things to do.

14 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Canvassing is fun and you should all do it for your preferred candidate. Participating in democracy is hot and thankless but it's good for the soul.

It really is.  Plus, you get to hang with twenty somethings. 

By hang, I mean you get to chat with them while they help you download the canvassing app and then shove you out the door.

I did walking for three candidates who all won, so that's a big plus too.  (Thank god for the suburban swing.)

It's part of the reason why I want some of these doofuses to drop out, so we can cull the field and I can decide to give some of my time too.

2 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

It really is.  Plus, you get to hang with twenty somethings. 

By hang, I mean you get to chat with them while they help you download the canvassing app and then shove you out the door.

I did walking for three candidates who all won, so that's a big plus too.  (Thank god for the suburban swing.)

It's part of the reason why I want some of these doofuses to drop out, so we can cull the field and I can decide to give some of my time too.

Doesn't matter, got touched

• Like 1

Checks thread-

Sees bad teammate is still being a disingenuous cunt on every page who won't shut the fuck up trying to derail the Warren thread. Sees most of the rest of you trying to engage him in good faith, only to be repeatedly covered in the feces he's flinging. 

Add in special guest appearances by Fozzz and Anastasis, but they see they don't have to worry and try to sidetrack it themselves, bad teammate has got this for them.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

24 minutes ago, suddenly shaggy said:

Checks thread-

Sees bad teammate is still being a disingenuous cunt on every page who won't shut the fuck up trying to derail the Warren thread. Sees most of the rest of you trying to engage him in good faith, only to be repeatedly covered in the feces he's flinging. 

Add in special guest appearances by Fozzz and Anastasis, but they see they don't have to worry and try to sidetrack it themselves, bad teammate has got this for them.

Exactly, take that shit elsewhere. Negs for anyone continuing the app canvasing conversation in this thread. 

• Like 1

Snipped 

These days, it’s hard to find Democratic primary voters who will openly admit to a fear that a woman is unelectable in America. (I did find one in Elkhart.) Surveying a primary field unprecedented in its diversity, many voters I spoke to saw Warren’s gender as an advantage. Two Teamsters in Milwaukee, members of the elusive and coveted white working class, were avid Warren supporters. “I truly don’t think that’s an issue,” said Paul Host, a retired truck driver. “Hillary just didn’t understand the Midwest, that many of us are still treading water.” Warren, he felt, was different. They had met her several times in Washington when they came to lobby Congress to protect their pensions and she supported them, winning their undying loyalty. Host told me he liked her better than Biden or Bernie, who he said had “amazing” ideas but was not as electable as Warren. “She does a better job at explaining things,” Host said. “I think she’s got as good a chance as anyone,” his friend Bill Constable said. Most of the people he knew who wouldn’t vote for a woman were never going to vote for a Democrat anyway.

“I have heard so many people say that they believe in you and all your plans,” one woman told Warren at a Detroit town hall. “But then they follow up with the objection of wanting a male candidate who can beat Trump.” Warren seemed pleased for the chance to address the concern, presumably about toughness. “Let’s just start with one of those basic truths that you know somewhere deep in your bones,” she told the woman, “and that is you never back down from a bully.”

Warren intends to go straight at Trump in other ways, even co-opting aspects of his populism to promote progressive values. She has rolled out a plan for boosting quality of life in a rural America down on its luck. She notes that companies evading taxes or outsourcing labor are not “patriotic” or “loyal” to America. Her program for what she calls “economic patriotism” is so eerily similar to what Trump ran on in 2016 that Tucker Carlson mentioned the plan approvingly on his Fox show.

By summer’s end, all the plans, the town halls, and strong debate performances—to say nothing of those 42,000 selfies—had catapulted Warren to within striking distance of the nomination. And after following her around the populist-minded Midwest, I could see why. She shines on the stump, leaning into her wonkiness and her mom jokes; she takes obvious and real delight in meeting voters; she makes crowds loopy with enthusiasm. After two and a half years of a proudly ignorant president sitting atop a chaotic administration, suddenly the smart older lady who’s thought of everything doesn’t seem like a schoolmarm who reminds you of your ex-wife anymore. Suddenly, she was feeling like the most exciting thing in American politics.

Two Teamsters in Milwaukee, members of the elusive and coveted white working class, were avid Warren supporters. “I truly don’t think that’s an issue,” said Paul Host, a retired truck driver. “Hillary just didn’t understand the Midwest, that many of us are still treading water.” Warren, he felt, was different. They had met her several times in Washington when they came to lobby Congress to protect their pensions and she supported them, winning their undying loyalty. Host told me he liked her better than Biden or Bernie, who he said had “amazing” ideas but was not as electable as Warren. “She does a better job at explaining things,” Host said. “I think she’s got as good a chance as anyone,” his friend Bill Constable said.

Post #25 on 4/2/18 in this thread from some genius guy.

"Donald Trump won many areas because he appealed to the material concerns of the people there. He went in and told them their lives would become materially better, and he gave somewhat specific (and completely unrealistic) reasons that would happen (coal coming back, Carrier saving your jobs, etc...). This is not regional. If you go to a people and speak openly (not honestly, but openly) to their direct material concerns they will like you more than someone who speaks in asinine platitudes (Hillary).

If Warren does a better job of going to any area and speaking to their direct material concerns better than Trump, she'll win that area. Bing bong."