2019-2020 NBA Season Thread

Goo Punch

3 minutes ago, d2o said:

Hey  Tejas in your name = one of you TX guys hahahahahhahahaahaha

Well there are 3 teams in Texas. 2 of them never put up with Dwight's shenanigans. The other one is the team that thought trading CP for Westbrook was a championship move. 

7 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Well there are 3 teams in Texas. 2 of them never put up with Dwight's shenanigans. The other one is the team that thought trading CP for Westbrook was a championship move. 

Right, which proves Dwight wasn't all of the problem when he was there.   That is what I mean.   He was put into a bad situation.    He owns part of the shit that happened there but it was fucked up before and after he was there

6 minutes ago, d2o said:

Right, which proves Dwight wasn't all of the problem when he was there.   That is what I mean.   He was put into a bad situation.    He owns part of the shit that happened there but it was fucked up before and after he was there

I think I mostly agree with you on Dwight. I think his only bad career stop was the Lakers the first time around. (Maybe Atlanta or Charlotte too - just based on his leadership or lack thereof and distractions in the locker room)

People forget how much of a fucking baller he was in ORL. He will wind up underrated due to all of the shit that has transpired since then. In 2009 over 23 games in the playoffs he put up 20/15/2 dimes with 3.5 stocks on .605 FG% and a respectable 63% from the stripe and just 2.9 TOV/g. 4.3 of those boards per game were on offense. 

Edited by ztejas

9 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I think I mostly agree with you on Dwight. I think his only bad career stop was the Lakers the first time around. (Maybe Atlanta or Charlotte too - just based on his leadership or lack thereof and distractions in the locker room)

People forget how much of a fucking baller he was in ORL. He will wind up underrated due to all of the shit that has transpired since then. In 2009 over 23 games in the playoffs he put up 20/15/2 dimes with 3.5 stocks on .605 FG% and a respectable 63% from the stripe and just 2.9 TOV/g. 4.3 of those boards per game were on offense. 

Exactly, I end up in this argument all the time with people who say he isn't a HOF player.    He will be in the HOF without question.   8 time all NBA (5 first teams), 3 time DPOY, led the league in rebounding and blks multiple times and led his team to the Finals.    He was a fucking beast when he was here.   He just was a mental midget who wanted the ball more, more praise and was never was forced to grow up until he was basically out of the league.

Edited by d2o

31 minutes ago, d2o said:

I hear ya.   He has been hypocritical and a bad teammate in many instances.    I was never a big SVG fan when he was here honestly though.    Dwight always played hard when he was here.   He definitely was whiny and wack but he was a kid.   He thought the grass was greener in LA and found out the hard way it wasn't.    He then has been in pretty bad situations (that he clearly made worse) at every stop after he left.  I know some of you guys with HOU ties cant ever forgive him.  I get that.

That said he seems to have changed taking a non-guaranteed offer from the Lakers (which was his only offer that I know of) and has been a model teammate this season.    He has played very well for them this yr and handled himself professionally.   Shit changes, people grow.

I'm a Spurs fan and I wholeheartedly enjoyed the schadenfreude of both his Rockets experience and his first Lakers tour of duty. So it's not about forgiving him for me. It's about respecting the game and respecting your teammates/coaches/others and just being a decent human being. So congrats to him for not being a complete cancer (for once) on a team where he is nearly completely expendable and where the team has literally nothing invested in him.

There are a lot of personality traits that I can overlook, but being a phony isn't one of them because you can never know when you are getting played. I still feel like he's playing everybody. That's what makes this redemption story so unpalatable for me. Sure, people grow but it really took that fuckstick 15 years to figure it all out?  And that's the narrative, right? Poor Dwight Howard, with all his self-inflicted wounds, hitting rock bottom professionally and bouncing back to become a good teammate and playing nice while gravy training a ring with Lebron and AD. Call me jaded, but I'm still not buying it and I will never root for someone who has historically acted like a gigantic piece of crap.

• Hook 'Em 1

56 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I'm not sure how you would know that. 

It's been pretty well documented out here.  Before they signed him, AD, LBJ, and Rondo met with him and told him how it was going to be, and was he ok with doing what was asked of him, and no more?  He had been beaten down at that point and totally bought in.  And has turned out to perhaps have been a better fit for what was needed than who he replaced- Cousins.  Play D, grab boards, and take shots inside of 5 feet.  

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I'm a Spurs fan and I wholeheartedly enjoyed the schadenfreude of both his Rockets experience and his first Lakers tour of duty. So it's not about forgiving him for me. It's about respecting the game and respecting your teammates/coaches/others and just being a decent human being. So congrats to him for not being a complete cancer (for once) on a team where he is nearly completely expendable and where the team has literally nothing invested in him.

There are a lot of personality traits that I can overlook, but being a phony isn't one of them because you can never know when you are getting played. I still feel like he's playing everybody. That's what makes this redemption story so unpalatable for me. Sure, people grow but it really took that fuckstick 15 years to figure it all out?  And that's the narrative, right? Poor Dwight Howard, with all his self-inflicted wounds, hitting rock bottom professionally and bouncing back to become a good teammate and playing nice while gravy training a ring with Lebron and AD. Call me jaded, but I'm still not buying it and I will never root for someone who has historically acted like a gigantic piece of crap.

Meh, I guess I'm different in that I dont really expect these guys to act like normal responsible adults generally so it doesn't effect me when they don't.   Generally, as long as they aren't fucking criminals, whatever.  Not just basketball players but especially basketball players are removed from normal existences pretty early in life.   Its no wonder they don't understand real life situations and how to act.   Plus we may never know all that was going on with him personally that had him acting like an ass.   

Also, I generally dont root against players.  Derek Fisher and Grayson Allen are my exceptions but cmon its Derek Fisher and Grayson Allen.   Fuck both those guys.

Edited by d2o

28 minutes ago, d2o said:

Exactly, I end up in this argument all the time with people who say he isn't a HOF player. 

You should quit arguing with the mentally impaired (although I do enjoy some of your posts here). He is a first-ballot hall of famer without question. If he isn't, it will just be a media thing a la TO but I don't think the basketball HoF voters are as closet racist and petty. 

He has an Olympic gold medal as part of the most important US Olympic team ever (well, either that one or '92 - but '92 was never in doubt once we were allowed to start sending in the calvary).

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, d2o said:

Also, I generally dont root against players.  Derek Fisher and Grayson Allen are my exceptions but cmon its Derek Fisher and Grayson Allen.   Fuck both those guys.

See, this is where you and I differ. Half the fun of watching the NBA is rooting against certain players and teams. You have two guys on your list, I've got a fucking army. Just off the top of my head... Kawhi (and about half the other Clippers - Beverly, George, etc), Dwight Howard, CP3, Zaza Pachulia, Westbrook, Harden, Draymond, Marcus Smart, Kyrie, on and on.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, d2o said:

I dont think that is what he was laughing at.

OK, maybe I misunderstood.  So many people don't recognize his greatness.  I get defensive about it.  And I have always been fascinated that no other big men really work on the sky hook.  That was without question the most unguardable shot ever.  If someone else could master it like he did, they would dominate.

spacer.png

Edited by Sbbruin

Just now, Mitch Cumsteen said:

See, this is where you and I differ. Half the fun of watching the NBA is rooting against certain players and teams. You have two guys on your list, I've got a fucking army. Just off the top of my head... Kawhi (and about half the other Clippers - Beverly, George, etc), Dwight Howard, CP3, Zaza Pachulia, Westbrook, Harden, Draymond, Marcus Smart, Kyrie, on and on.

All that hate is gonna eat ya up son hahahahahahhahahahha.

Seriously though.    I just enjoy watching the game being played at its highest level.  Quite a few of those guys do annoy me when watching games, especially Draymond, Flopcus Smart, and Fuck Kyle Lowry but I cant really say I hate them or root against them.   

I will laugh like hell when they get clowned though.   When LBJ used to buttfuck TOR every yr that was hilarious.    Especially that running one hand game winner.   That said, I cannot say I didn't enjoy watching FKL step up big time for TOR last season and become a champion.  

1 minute ago, Sbbruin said:

OK, maybe I misunderstood.  So many people don't recognize his greatness.  I get defensive about it.

I hear ya.   That part is true.  Cap is largely forgotten for some reason.   PB was just saying that Cap is #2 not LBJ.  

8 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Half the fun of watching the NBA is rooting against certain players and teams

Yup. It's why this playoffs has largely been a bore. There's no villain. I can root for Kawhi to lose, but he's nowhere near as entertaining in the villain role as Kobe or Miami LeBron or Warriors KD (or Draymond... talk about greatest villain since the Bad Boy Pistons who I am too young to have seen live. Honorable mention BB). 

LeBron is just too likeable at this point. I'm over here sitting back and seeing how long he can keep this thing going because it's getting to be insane. We passed unprecedented a long time ago.

Edited by ztejas

3 hours ago, ztejas said:

Yup. It's why this playoffs has largely been a bore. There's no villain. I can root for Kawhi to lose, but he's nowhere near as entertaining in the villain role as Kobe or Miami LeBron or Warriors KD (or Draymond... talk about greatest villain since the Bad Boy Pistons who I am too young to have seen live. Honorable mention BB). 

LeBron is just too likeable at this point. I'm over here sitting back and seeing how long he can keep this thing going because it's getting to be insane. We passed unprecedented a long time ago.

The Lakers are always the villain.

Just now, d2o said:

Interesting.    I just dont get that.

At this point it's going to be a pre-determined coronation of a manufactured, soulless team whom I hate. And it's going to be awful, awful basketball. If I thought LAL was going to win but we might get some good games out of it, I might watch. Or if the game is within 20 at halftime, I might tune in. It probably won't be, though.

3 minutes ago, d2o said:

Yeah, I just dont have that kinda hate.    I enjoy watching basketball.   I dont watch for angles.

I wouldn't watch this series regardless of whether or not it was the Lakers, to be honest. It's such a mismatch it's not going to even be fun. Miami has lost two of their top four players and the only player who can even remotely slow down AD/LeBron in the paint. It's going to be a bloodbath. I think Miami could have competed admirably without Dragic. With no Bam, it's going to suck. While Jimmy Butler is arguably the greatest player of all time, he can't do it alone.

Edited by BradInATX

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Ask @Sbbruin if he enjoyed the 2007 Finals.

I watched it.  But I was not accustomed to not watching the Lakers in the finals at that time, having played in 4 of the previous 7.  So my interest was limited.  With now 32 NBA finals appearances, it's almost a right of passage.

Edited by Sbbruin

6 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Okay it's gotten much more watchable. That first few minutes was horrendous.

Lmao what a flop by Caruso. Real good look you aggy goon.

Lakers flopped on three straight possessions and the refs rewarded them on every one. They're completely neutering Miami's ability to drive into the lane with fabricated fouls.

24 minutes ago, ztejas said:

This might top 2007 for worst Finals in a long time. 

At least 2018 was kind of entertaining. I really can't think of another series that has been this brutal to watch. Obviously the lack of fans doesn't help. 

And yet you continue to torture yourself by watching.  Glutton for punishment I guess.

It's definitely the refs fault that the Lakers are the best basketball team this season by a considerable margin.

I wish that they weren't going to win this year because I wanted them to get a little dose of humility for one season after fucking over the Pelicans and manipulating the dudes paying AD $27M to play basketball at every turn (just like I did after "Not 4, not 5, not 6, not 7"), but them being the best team isn't some giant conspiracy. They're just better.

15 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

And yet you continue to torture yourself by watching.  Glutton for punishment I guess.

I watched the first quarter. Few mins of the second.

I'm done. This next CBA is going to be a fucking disaster. They really need KD and Steph back and fans back in arenas.