2019-2020 NBA Season Thread

Goo Punch

NBA sees $$$ in Harden/Russ vs LeBron/AD, so I have a feeling the whistle will be heavy tonight. Thunder are awesome in close games, so if they can hang around, who knows what will happen. Thunder win means the end of the MDA and probably Morey experiment in Houston. 

Miami is legit. Giannis is going to need to be the best player on both ends of the court for MIL to win this series. I mean, that shouldn't be all that much to ask of him - he's by far the best player on either team - but he will need to show it every night. 

• Hook 'Em 1

The bucks are pressing hard right now, and Miami is just playing with that “we’ve had your number all year” confidence. I honestly think the bucks would run through any other team in the east, but this is just an awkward matchup for them. Because of how many shooters Miami has, the bucks kinda have to change how they’ve played defense all year. They usually give up 3pt attempts at a pretty high clip if I’m not mistaken. 

Edited by youdunnf'dup
  • Hook 'Em 1

I was talking with a friend last night and said that if I had to pick who is the toughest player in the East and the guy I would most want for the playoffs at this moment it would be Butler. No disrespect to Antetokounmpo who is ridiculously good, but Butler is the toughest guy in the conference. Every team he has been on has been better with him than without.

10 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:
I was talking with a friend last night and said that if I had to pick who is the toughest player in the East and the guy I would most want for the playoffs at this moment it would be Butler. No disrespect to Antetokounmpo who is ridiculously good, but Butler is the toughest guy in the conference. Every team he has been on has been better with him than without.

Miami is really vindicating him so far. It's looking more and more like the Philly and Minnesota organizations were just too soft and wimpy to deal with his aggression and tendency to demand perfection. If you made a list of softest players wasting their talent, Embiid and KAT would be your headliners.

But, let's give it a couple years to see if the marriage will last.

Anyone still disagree that he's top 10?

BTW, has anyone brought up the thing where he refused to invite any family into the bubble with him and when asked why he said "it's a business trip"? What a big steel nuts move. That fuckin' awesome. He's one of my favorite players. Wish he was a Spur.

Edited by BradInATX

7 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

I'm intrigued by this take but I don't think it is going to age well. 

5 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I'm intrigued by this take but I don't think it is going to age well. 

Antetokounmpo is the most talented player and it took him a lot of work to get to that point, but Butler is the toughest player in the conference and who I would want for the playoffs. Not backing away when Lopez posted him up and then forcing a jump ball out of it is emblematic of Butler's game as a whole. The guy just doesn't give an inch. It's hard to teach someone to be as mentally tough as he is. He's a lot of fun to watch on both ends.

Edited by UpperWestside

13 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Miami is really vindicating him so far. It's looking more and more like the Philly and Minnesota organizations were just too soft and wimpy to deal with his aggression and tendency to demand perfection. If you made a list of softest players wasting their talent, Embiid and KAT would be your headliners.
But, let's give it a couple years to see if the marriage will last.
Anyone still disagree that he's top 10?

It’s just funny that he’s been right all along. KAT and Wiggins have no mental toughness and he could sense it right away. So he started trying to alpha them, and they didn’t handle it the right way. Then he goes to the 76ers and sees how things are working within and says “I’m getting the hell out of here” even though it seemed like they were on the verge of greatness. Then he goes to Miami because he says Riley, Wade, and Spolestra kinda sold him on the winning/hard working culture that he craves. A lot of people said he chose Miami for the city and not to win, but he’s proven everyone wrong. Gotta respect that. He’s been a model teammate in Miami. 

Edited by youdunnf'dup
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, youdunnf'dup said:

It’s just funny that he’s been right all along. KAT and Wiggins have no mental toughness and he could sense it right away. So he started trying to alpha them, and they didn’t handle it the right way. Then he goes to the 76ers and sees how things are working within and says “I’m getting the hell out of here” even though it seemed like they were on the verge of greatness. Then he goes to Miami because he says they have a winning culture and Riley, Wade, and Spolestra kinda sold him on the winning/hard working culture that he craves. A lot of people said he chose Miami for the city and not to win, but he’s proven everyone wrong. Gotta respect that. He’s been a model teammate in Miami. 

Basically a perfect summation of not only his career, but public perception of him. It's crazy how a player's image can change so quickly based on situation and other seemingly random factors. 

5 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Basically a perfect summation of not only his career, but public perception of him. It's crazy how a player's image can change so quickly based on situation and other seemingly random factors. 

I thought he was right about both situations at the time. It was obvious how weak-minded KAT and Co. were. Philly was exactly the same. Butler responds best to guys who will play balls to the wall every moment you're on the court with him. Being in Miami has to be like heaven to him as far as the organization and their philosophy on how they play.

Edited by UpperWestside
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

I thought he was right about both situations at the time. It was obvious how weak-minded KAT and Co. were. Philly was exactly the same. Butler responds best to guys who will play balls to the wall every moment you're on the court with him. Being in Miami has to be like heaven to him as far as the organization and their philosophy on how they play.

Good foresight. I wasn't sure. I had actually started to lean towards him being a cancer. I never could quite figure it out, because he just seems like a dude who works really hard and expects his teammates to do the same, but without the "I'm a neurotic piece of shit human being" thing that Jordan had. But in hindsight, as things usually do, it all makes sense.

5 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Let's not start sucking his dick just yet...

Miami could lose this game and three more right after and it doesn't really change any of what's being talked about here. He's a superstar just below the "top tier" of 3-5 guys. You could rank him as high as #5 (behind LeBron, Curry, Giannis, and Kawhi) and it would be a reasonable take, even if a bit outside of the mainstream consensus. I'd have him at #7, I think, by adding Harden and AD above him. And even those two guys aren't slam dunks, AD and Harden are both playoff chokers and Jimmy doesn't appear to be. Maybe Luka next year above him as well.

Edited by BradInATX

2 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Good foresight. I wasn't sure. I had actually started to lean towards him being a cancer. I never could quite figure it out, because he just seems like a dude who works really hard and expects his teammates to do the same, but without the "I'm a neurotic piece of shit human being" thing that Jordan had. But in hindsight, as things usually do, it all makes sense.

There are folks who probably really disliked Butler before, but now seeing the whole arc of his career to this point makes things much clearer to everyone as you said. I'm glad he found his way to a team that accentuates his talents.

9 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Miami could lose this game and three more right after and it doesn't really change any of what's being talked about here. He's a superstar just below the "top tier" of 3-5 guys. You could rank him as high as #5 (behind LeBron, Curry, Giannis, and Kawhi) and it would be a reasonable take, even if a bit outside of the mainstream consensus. I'd have him at #7, I think, by adding Harden and AD above him. And even those two guys aren't slam dunks, AD and Harden are both playoff chokers and Jimmy doesn't appear to be. Maybe Luka next year above him as well.

AD isn’t a playoff choker. He recovered well against Portland, and he was up against two Warriors juggernaut teams in ‘15 and ‘18.

3 minutes ago, George Clooney said:

AD isn’t a playoff choker. He recovered well against Portland, and he was up against two Warriors juggernaut teams in ‘15 and ‘18.

I dont think he's a playoff choker, either, but he got swept in 2015 and was down 2-0 before losing in 5 in 2018. 

And I'd hardly call the 2015 Warriors team a juggernaut. They are the weakest title team since the 2011 Mavs. 

10 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I dont think he's a playoff choker, either, but he got swept in 2015 and was down 2-0 before losing in 5 in 2018. 

And I'd hardly call the 2015 Warriors team a juggernaut. They are the weakest title team since the 2011 Mavs. 

Maybe I have recency bias but I feel like the raptors are easily the weakest title team of my lifetime. In a normal lebron in the east year, that team gets beat in no more than 6 games. You had a bunch of teams with no playoff experience and the warriors. Kawhi is an assassin, but that Mavs team had a pretty fucking impressive playoff run compared to the raptors. 

Edited by youdunnf'dup
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Maybe I have recency bias but I feel like the raptors are easily the weakest title team of my lifetime. In a normal lebron in the east year, that team gets beat in no more than 6 games. You had a bunch of teams with no playoff experience and the warriors. Kawhi is an assassin, but that Mavs team had a pretty fucking impressive playoff run compared to the raptors. 

I disagree but I think that Raptors team is the only one that I might favor the 2015 Ws over. Probably depends on who has home court.

(they were certainly better than the 2018 Cavs... that was a dogshit Finals team)

Edited by ztejas

6 minutes ago, ztejas said:

You’re right about them not being a juggernaut, but I think the ‘15 Warriors were better than the Raptors last year and close to the ‘13 Heat. Also, that ‘15 series was AD’s first, and he had little talent surrounding him. You can’t even say he’s struggled in the playoffs if you go back and look at his stats each series.

4 minutes ago, George Clooney said:

Also, that ‘15 series was AD’s first, and he had little talent surrounding him. You can’t even say he’s struggled in the playoffs if you go back and look at his stats each series.

I'm not saying that. I'm agreeing with you. Just wanted to correct you. 

5 minutes ago, George Clooney said:

I think the ‘15 Warriors were better than the Raptors last year and close to the ‘13 Heat.

The Warriors lost 2 games to LeBron playing without Irving and Love in 2015 (Irving might have played in one win - feel free to correct me). That 2013 Heat team would have broken them. Their perimeter defense was all-time level. 

12 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I'm not saying that. I'm agreeing with you. Just wanted to correct you. 

The Warriors lost 2 games to LeBron playing without Irving and Love in 2015 (Irving might have played in one win - feel free to correct me). That 2013 Heat team would have broken them. Their perimeter defense was all-time level. 

Honestly I forgot about the Cavs’ injuries during that series as I was a bit averse to watching it because of the Rockets loss a few weeks earlier (I’ve learned to expect similar outcomes every year now). Changing topics a bit, I think Morey/Fertitta/Harden were foolish in thinking that adding Russ would elevate the team to being Finals-caliber. 

While I’m emptying out thoughts unrelated to this game (fuck Giannis), I’d be surprised if Kawhi doesn’t lock in (and get George to elevate some) and get the Clips to at least the Finals. Obviously this board is Spurs-heavy so y’all will partly disagree, but he’s just an incredible player and somehow one of my favorites now. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, George Clooney said:

While I’m emptying out thoughts unrelated to this game (fuck Giannis), I’d be surprised if Kawhi doesn’t lock in (and get George to elevate some) and get the Clips to at least the Finals. Obviously this board is Spurs-heavy so y’all will partly disagree, but he’s just an incredible player and somehow one of my favorites now. 

At this point I fully expect the clippers to win the title. 

Edited by youdunnf'dup

4 minutes ago, George Clooney said:

im not crying youre crying GIF

7 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

At this point I fully expect the clippers to win the title. 

Or Jimmy Butler is going to handle them too. All part of his plan to become the most popular person in America. BUSINESS TRIPS ARE ON THE MENU.

I think I'm officially on the Heat bandwagon for the rest of the playoffs.

Edited by BradInATX