Texas women's basketball '18-19

texasstrong12

11 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

So tempted to drop hot takes but I'll abstain. 

Poorly prepared - usually fall into big holes early on

Poorly coached - high number of turnovers, boneheaded plays, inability to finish at the rim across the past 7 years, multiple players, etc.

Shitty schemes - we will play 98% man-to-man and rarely ever switch defenses just to get the other team off balance

Recruiting has fallen off a bit - maybe these girls can tell Karen's schemes aren't great and she can't beat Baylor/UConn/ND/Stanford/Tennessee/Miss St.

Transfers - zero reason why Patterson was relegated to doghouse/bench and elected to transfer, whatever she told Littleton in the after season meeting must have been way different than what she told Chaz

Edited by Js1

1 hour ago, Pancho Negro said:

Part of me is also questioning Karen's hiring of assistants. 

Yeah.  Losing Mays and Mitchell really hurt.  Carey/Jackson isn't the same.  Losing Tina stung a lot too.

And George - is he gone as soon as Lashann leaves? Just sayin'

Sometimes I feel like you could put Jody out there in Karen's place and the product would look exactly the same. Especially the strict man-to-man defense only.

It's one thing to do the things you learned as an assistant; it's another not to adjust to the game in the past 15 years since you left Jody's side.

I've been unimpressed with guard development under Carey's coaching. I'm actually quite surprised Aston hired Tiffany Jackson as an assistant. She wasn't very well liked by fellow teammates during her playing tenure, during which time Aston was an assistant coach. I can't imagine her personality suddenly has changed and is now relatable to the players. 

As for Aston, I think we've seen her ceiling as a coach. Never beating Baylor is unacceptable. Wonder how long Del Conte will hang onto her before a change is made.  

2 hours ago, txex86 said:

I've been unimpressed with guard development under Carey's coaching. I'm actually quite surprised Aston hired Tiffany Jackson as an assistant. She wasn't very well liked by fellow teammates during her playing tenure, during which time Aston was an assistant coach. I can't imagine her personality suddenly has changed and is now relatable to the players. 

As for Aston, I think we've seen her ceiling as a coach. Never beating Baylor is unacceptable. Wonder how long Del Conte will hang onto her before a change is made.  

Aston has to be graded objectively by Del Conte. If Big12 Championships are the goal, waiting for Mulkey to retire is not acceptable.

37 minutes ago, Extra Anejo said:

Aston has to be graded objectively by Del Conte. If Big12 Championships are the goal, waiting for Mulkey to retire is not acceptable.

Big 12 championships (regular season) - zero

Big 12 tournament championships - zero (3 of the school's 5 tournament title game losses are by Karen by an average of 11 points to Baylor all 3 times)

NCAA tournament final fours - zero

1 Elite 8 in 6 seasons

4  straight trips to Sweet 16 but like, a lot of schools do that

Aston won’t be fired because she wins a lot of games. 

I question her hiring of assistants, especially former UT greats who aren’t known for thier assistant coaching experience.

Part of me wonders if Aston doesn’t have a good name out there and assistants aren’t lining up to coach with her -or- she just went with safe hires because it was easy.  (I also realize going with the same hires could also be because she felt they were the best for the job.)

While I like Aston, I really wish we would have made a clean break from the Jody regime.  I realized we tried that with Gail and it didn’t work.  Still wish we had gone balls to the all for Jeff Waltz when we had the chance. 

On 1/17/2019 at 2:06 PM, Js1 said:

4  straight trips to Sweet 16 but like, a lot of schools do that

By my count there have only been 5 teams that have made the Sweet 16 in the last 4 years (Texas, UCONN, ND, Baylor and South Carolina). 

All the other 4 coaches are considered "elite" (Auriemma, Mulkey, McGraw, and Staley) Yet, here we are talking about firing Aston. Yes, I know they've got more on the resume but you don't think it's something that Aston is one of 5 coaches that has made the Sweet 16 these last 4 years?

Aston needs to take the next step but talk about firing her is hilarious and dumb. 

Edited by texasstrong12

On 1/17/2019 at 1:25 PM, Extra Anejo said:

There are maybe 3 or 4 coaches that can beat Mulkey. Maybe not that many. 

Who are you going to get? I'm all for hiring Auriemma, McGraw,  or Staley. I'm also not on drugs living in la la land. 

Edited by texasstrong12

Does she need to be fired? No. Does she need CDC to tell her to step up and hire better assistants? Yep. 

She needs someone to coach offensive schemes and spacing and moving without the ball

She needs someone to coach the posts how to go up strong, use the backboard, and footwork and posting up

She needs an ace recruiter

• Like 1

10 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

There are maybe 3 or 4 coaches that can beat Mulkey. Maybe not that many. 

Who are you going to get? I'm all for hiring Auriemma, McGraw,  or Staley. I'm also not on drugs living in la la land. 

On this one, I agree.  Also agree that CDC needs perhaps to nudge her a bit.  As he does Elliott.

Interesting to see how CDC approaches these situations where we have a coach that wins a lot of games but doesn't actually win anything of note. Can Aston turn the corner or will she be the Mack Brown of Texas Women's basketball? Will CDC take the Dodds approach and watch Baylor win conference title after conference title while being content with our runner-up status so long as there are an adequate number of wins each season? I don't think Dodds meddled too much with staff choices during his tenure, but I think he did make staff ultimatums to both Brown and Barnes as they reached their stagnation points. Seems too late at that point, but maybe he was more involved that I remember.

11 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

At least Elliott brings us conference championships. I don't ever see Aston doing that 

Elliott doesn’t have a Mulkey. 

Do you think all the Big 12 men’s basketball coaches should be fired because they can’t challenge Bill Self? There would be a lot of top 25ish coaches fired simply because Kansas has an elite/top 5 coach. 

Edited by texasstrong12

24 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Elliott doesn’t have a Mulkey. 

Do you think all the Big 12 men’s basketball coaches should be fired because they can’t challenge Bill Self? There would be a lot of top 25ish coaches fired simply because Kansas has an elite/top 5 coach. 

For the record, I'm not in the FIRE ASTON camp, yet. Getting blown out by KState doesn't help her cause but if that becomes a pattern and she starts getting late Jody/Gail results then I would put her on the hot seat. But you're right, JUST losing to Baylor year in year out isn't enough to fire a coach

We probably beat Tennessee with a healthy Joyner. That was her first game back and she only played 11 minutes. 

They aren't very good. Texas and Tennessee were about even without Higgs and Joyner playing limited minutes. Arguably two of our top players. 

Edited by texasstrong12