Always Make Sure To Look Out For Motorized Wheelchairs

Vic Mackey

There are a couple guys that roll past my place of employment on the regular. I always have to tell them to get out of the street because I don't want them to get run over.

On a serious note, one of them was stuck in the middle of the road and his chair lost power. I pushed him to an outlet so he could recharge it. I'm glad I helped him and I hope he is thankful for the help. He is a nice kid and I shudder at the thought that he is hurt. I've seen him a couple times since. This specific individual does ride on the sidewalks now. Others do not. I know one day I'm going to roll up on an accident and the individual wont be as fortunate.

• Like 1

Back around 1980, some friends and I were standing in front of The Student Union when we heard some muffled cries for help. There was a guy hunched over in a motorized wheel chair with his face in his lap heading downhill toward The Drag. We ran over to help him and one of us grabbed a handle of the chair (which just made it want to go in a circle). The guy was yelling something muffled that sounded something like, “I’m laying on the control stick!”  Taking the hint, we lifted his torso up, and sure enough, under his right shoulder was the control stick in full throttle forward. We refastened his Velcro chest strap and sent him on his merry way. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor