Is the tide turning?

Chult86

10 minutes ago, JBJ said:

It was a decent example to make the point.

No it wasn't. It was a meaningless back and forth between Hugo and I discussing whether the Dems should use "recession" or "depression" when alluding to the (possible) impending economic downturn. It was one of the simplest, most basic conversations that has ever happened on this board. In total it was maybe 5 posts consisting of 10 sentences. How anyone could misinterpret that is baffling. It's too early to be drunk. 

Well, not really. Go on with your bad self.

Edited by BradInATX
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

No it wasn't. It was a meaningless back and forth between Hugo and I discussing whether the Dems should use "recession" or "depression" when alluding to the (possible) impending economic downturn. It was one of the simplest, most basic conversations that has ever happened on this board. In total it was maybe 5 posts consisting of 10 sentences. How anyone could misinterpret that is baffling. It's too early to be drunk. 

Well, not really. Go on with your bad self.

You are right.  It is a direct response to your post on page 3, which was already out of my mind.  Bad example.

3 minutes ago, JBJ said:

You are right.  It is a direct response to your post on page 3, which was already out of my mind.  Bad example.

LOL it's all good. But, to my point about attention spans...

I was mostly joking about the single-liners being because of attention span (re:Axiom's hive mind post). But to some extent it's true. I know if I see a wall of unbroken text I'm probably not going to read it. Especially since I do most of my Surly-ing while sitting on conference calls.

40 minutes ago, Axiom of Choice said:

You say I give posts that don't meet the definition of single sentence paragraph style, even though all my examples contain single sentence paragraphs, then you given examples that do not contain a single sentence paragraph.  Also, there is an obvious difference between posting only a single comment vs posting numerous comments in that style.  

I said short paragraphs. I never said single sentence paragraphs. You are flailing about around here and it's very unlike you. This is another piece of supporting evidence that shows you are far more partisan and, perhaps therefore, emotional about this than you want to believe or choose to let on.

edited to add for clarity - The reason these distinctions are important is that we know for certain that you are exactingly precise with your language in other arenas. You've engaged in long discussions on academic topics where the language and terminology absolutely HAVE to be precise and accurate or else the two sides of the discussion will talk completely right past one another. And yet here your terminology is imprecise at times, outright incorrect at others. I don't expect some of these chucklefucks to be precise in their diction, but when you in particular are getting fuzzy with it then it's a red flag. When they make mistakes with terms I assume they just don't know better. When you do it then the first instinct is that it's an intentional shortcut or misleading diversion.

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, horncyclist said:

Put me in the turning point camp. There's blood in the water. Pelosi needs to put her heel to his throat. And hold all the republicans who enabled this accountable. Every single one.

Yep. Not everybody has seen it, but I've seen this with friends and relatives who finally reached their point, and even some that openly admitted that without Hillary around, they have no problem voting D.   That may seem like a silly point, but they did this knowing full-well that they were going to be attacked by the Trumpkins of the friends/family, and they were, and they didn't give a shit or back down.  And I've seen some of the evangelicals definitely cool their heals after the rally in WV, and after the Jewish comments (apparently their line is people bragging about others claiming they are the second coming of God).

The Denmark stuff is icing on the cake.  It just looked full-on regard.

2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Yep. Not everybody has seen it, but I've seen this with friends and relatives who finally reached their point, and even some that openly admitted that without Hillary around, they have no problem voting D.   That may seem like a silly point, but they did this knowing full-well that they were going to be attacked by the Trumpkins of the friends/family, and they were, and they didn't give a shit or back down.  And I've seen some of the evangelicals definitely cool their heals after the rally in WV, and after the Jewish comments (apparently their line is people bragging about others claiming they are the second coming of God).

The Denmark stuff is icing on the cake.  It just looked full-on regard.

Here's a good Atlantic article on just how bad the Denmark thing really is. It's not just some funny thing Trump did. He is doing real and serious damage to our foreign relations.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/08/trump-defects-autocrats/596518/

• Like 1

Here's a good Atlantic article on just how bad the Denmark thing really is. It's not just some funny thing Trump did. He is doing real and serious damage to our foreign relations.
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/08/trump-defects-autocrats/596518/

The next president (who am I kidding - Trump is the last president of the United States...but IF we have another) will need to spend their first days in office calling allies and saying some version of the “so...it’s like we were really drunk and said and did a lotta really stupid and hurtful stuff last night...ummm...we’re sorry” speech. To every single one of our allies. And some of our just international acquaintances.
  • Like 3

The next president (who am I kidding - Trump is the last president of the United States...but IF we have another) will need to spend their first days in office calling allies and saying some version of the “so...it’s like we were really drunk and said and did a lotta really stupid and hurtful stuff last night...ummm...we’re sorry” speech. To every single one of our allies. And some of our just international acquaintances.
And then we'll listen to Tahoe and fox complain about now and apologize diplomacy. Rinse and repeat
  • Like 1

"And that, I think, was the handle—that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn’t need that. Our energy would simply prevail. There was no point in fighting—on our side or theirs. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. . . .

So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark—that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back.

Hunter S. Thompson

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

The thing is, our allies know we're being fucked over by Trump.  This is not to say there won't be hell to pay, because "ally" only goes so far, but ultimately there will some conciliation.

I would not want to be in any of those meetings.  "That's a bingo" doesn't even begin to describe the glee that will be exhibited on the other side of the table.

I mean, the guy has always been a few eggs short of a dozen... but this week has been horrible, even for him.

Either he's an absolute moron, even more of one than many think, or he's actually having fun joking about the DOW dropping 2%, affecting people's savings/retirement/etc. No matter which answer is correct, neither are fit to hold that office.

Trump followers that truly think he knows better than the Fed about how to stave off recession... I just don't have words anymore. I'm tired of sighing, rolling my eyes, and wondering what my first child (on the way!) will be born into down the road. Hopefully these four years are just an "Oops, our bad. -America" footnote in the history books.

39 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

The thing is, our allies know we're being fucked over by Trump.  This is not to say there won't be hell to pay, because "ally" only goes so far, but ultimately there will some conciliation.

I would not want to be in any of those meetings.  "That's a bingo" doesn't even begin to describe the glee that will be exhibited on the other side of the table.

I sort of think the same thing.  After he's out, all our allies will look at each us and say What the hell was that all about?, have a good laugh, then be back to business as usual.

I sort of think the same thing.  After he's out, all our allies will look at each us and say What the hell was that all about?, have a good laugh, then be back to business as usual.
Our credibility is fucked. Why make any agreement with the US when a lunatic can undo 8 years of planning, diplomacy, and agreements in short order. We keep careening from guardrail to guardrail. We are toxic.

5 minutes ago, Born to Run said:
1 hour ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

Our credibility is fucked. Why make any agreement with the US when a lunatic can undo 8 years of planning, diplomacy, and agreements in short order. We keep careening from guardrail to guardrail. We are toxic.

Undo 8 years of planning, diplomacy, and agreements?  Try decades.

1 hour ago, Chult86 said:

I mean, the guy has always been a few eggs short of a dozen... but this week has been horrible, even for him.

Either he's an absolute moron, even more of one than many think, or he's actually having fun joking about the DOW dropping 2%, affecting people's savings/retirement/etc. No matter which answer is correct, neither are fit to hold that office.

Trump followers that truly think he knows better than the Fed about how to stave off recession... I just don't have words anymore. I'm tired of sighing, rolling my eyes, and wondering what my first child (on the way!) will be born into down the road. Hopefully these four years are just an "Oops, our bad. -America" footnote in the history books.

This week has been special.  Started off with the dumbass Greenland crap, ended with him impotently ordering US companies to do something, when they don't have to do shit.