Political Asylum

TahoeHorn

International Policy says that people who need it are entitled to political asylum.  It also says that people are not entitled to economic asylum.  I think International Policy is correct.

Right now we have great difficulty figuring out how to deal with political asylum.  Many are gaming the system.

So, I have a solution.  (I have solutions for all political issues.  You know that though.)

My solution grants political asylum to all who want it.  No detention.  No trial.  No long wait.  Not even any big costs.  BUT, it does not grant economic asylum.

Here's how:

We identify a bunch of shithole countries which will take economic refugees for a fee.  Think Haiti, Bangladesh, South Sudan, Burkina Faso.  The list is actually very long.

If you need political asylum the US will find you a spot in a shithole country.

I predict that if your life is in danger you'll jump at the deal.  Better Bangladesh than gangs killing your daughter. But if you're just looking for  economic opportunity, you'll probably prefer your shithole country to a new one.  Or maybe you'll go to some place like Mexico or Brazil - a place that isn't a shithole but isn't the USA.

I'm looking for good ideas that make the Berkeley sociology crowd boil with rage.  We need to have an open dialog on such topics - to further social harmony.  We need teachable moments.  I'm trying to conduct a "teach in" on such.  This board has a bunch of such people who need teaching.  How am I doing?  My students don't seem to be learning very well but you can't always tell.

Edited by TahoeHorn
  • Fuck You 27

9 minutes ago, TahoeHorn said:

International Policy says that people who need it are entitled to political asylum.  It also says that people are not entitled to economic asylum.  I think International Policy is correct.

Right now we have great difficulty figuring out how to deal with political asylum.  Many are gaming the system.

So, I have a solution.  (I have solutions for all political issues.  You know that though.)

My solution grants political asylum to all who want it.  No detention.  No trial.  No long wait.  Not even any big costs.  BUT, it does not grant economic asylum.

Here's how:

We identify a bunch of shithole countries which will take economic refugees for a fee.  Think Haiti, Bangladesh, South Sudan, Burkina Faso.  The list is actually very long.

If you need political asylum the US will find you a spot in a shithole country.

I predict that if your life is in danger you'll jump at the deal.  Better Bangladesh than gangs killing your daughter. But if you're just looking for  economic opportunity, you'll probably prefer your shithole country to a new one.  Or maybe you'll go to some place like Mexico or Brazil - a place that isn't a shithole but isn't the USA.

I'm looking for good ideas that make the Berkeley sociology crowd boil with rage.  We need to have an open dialog on such topics - to further social harmony.  We need teachable moments.  I'm trying to conduct a "teach in" on such.  This board has a bunch of such people who need teaching.  How am I doing?  My students don't seem to be learning very well but you can't always tell.

You're not interested in those things. You're lying again.

5 hours ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

I don't think it's him. The prose is off...close, but not quite there. Didn't he change handles when he came over? I think someone was already squatting on TahoeHorn.

Either that or the sugar from the donuts finally got to him and he had a diabetic stroke. 

MixtyMotions 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

I don't think it's him. The prose is off...close, but not quite there. Didn't he change handles when he came over? I think someone was already squatting on TahoeHorn.

Either that or the sugar from the donuts finally got to him and he had a diabetic stroke. 

I agree. Its not really him. Its just some troll wanting to get banned for some stupid ass reason. So be it.