Dallas | Pizza

C-Man

Finally got in on the Rock City Za pop-up this morning. Looks like they're doing Wednesday pickup this week too. I'm guessing that has something to do with Thanksgiving next Thursday. At any rate, I ordered the Texan -- pepperoni and jalapeno. Will report back Thurs night.

44 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Finally got in on the Rock City Za pop-up this morning. Looks like they're doing Wednesday pickup this week too. I'm guessing that has something to do with Thanksgiving next Thursday. At any rate, I ordered the Texan -- pepperoni and jalapeno. Will report back Thurs night.

Ha, I ordered mine this morning as well for Thursday. This and some Rahr & Sons Winter Warmer is gonna slam and go hard. 

I'm gonna need to get 3 workouts in this week lol. 

I wanted to follow up on Rock City Za. I ordered the Texan (pepperoni with japs) and I thought it was really good. It’s not my favorite style of pizza but it’s a nice change up from Neapolitan, which is my favorite. At any rate, Mark seems like a good dude. Highly recommend it.

37d3d3a09436fc2b365986f4f5606932.jpg

b60fe4b14f9ea6cdb2017d1c3d8ec07a.jpg

On 10/21/2020 at 3:09 AM, Landomatic said:

For Detroit pizza?  Really?  What am I missing here?  We talkin bout Detroit pizza right?

it's all the rage. at least according to D Magazine.

https://www.dmagazine.com/food-drink/2020/10/inside-the-rise-of-detroit-style-pizza-in-dallas/

just placed my order for Big D Pizza over near White Rock.  will report back later.

Thumbs up for Big D Pizza. It’s a “ghost” restaurant that’s run out of Alfonso’s Italian on Buckner just north of White Rock. 

Good stuff. We got the combo - pepperoni, sausage, black olives, onion, mushrooms. Very tasty.  Good change up from NY style. Lots of toppings, good crunch. Not as filling as Chicago style but definitely heartier than thin crust. I had a salad and 3 pieces. That was plenty. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bluto said:

I think the most common refrain is “it’s ok” but rarely if ever do I hear of ppl being repeat customers often if at all. But they seem to be doing well so wtf do I know.

This would describe my one experience perfectly.  It was alright.  Certainly didn't say "I'll never go back there" but also haven't been back there in over a year.

It’s ok. Not too far from there on Maple is Social Pie. That is really good and not that many people talk about it. 

It’s pretty close to us and we used to go a lot. Good brunch deals on booze. Good food.

Did Rock City Za again last night. Got three pies — jap/pepperoni, all cheese and mushroom/sausage. It was so damn good. New fave is mushroom/sausage.

d901ad4fe3103afec7f041958a535f28.jpg
  • Like 1

On 12/4/2020 at 11:27 AM, C-Man said:

It’s pretty close to us and we used to go a lot. Good brunch deals on booze. Good food.

Did Rock City Za again last night. Got three pies — jap/pepperoni, all cheese and mushroom/sausage. It was so damn good. New fave is mushroom/sausage.

did you doxx yourself via pizza?

14 hours ago, strangulation! said:

did you doxx yourself via pizza?

Noticed that after posting. I might update it. I might not. It ain't hard to figure out who I am based on my admission that I once covered sports for the FWST and have worked on quite a few posters' personal insurance.

20 hours ago, C-Man said:

Noticed that after posting. I might update it. I might not. It ain't hard to figure out who I am based on my admission that I once covered sports for the FWST and have worked on quite a few posters' personal insurance.

Hahah funny thing is I know you in real life and I still call you C-Man. Saved in my phone as C-Man, refer to you as C-Man if we're ever talking about trying to make plans with y'all, etc. Hell, I'd probably have to think pretty hard to come up with your real name most times.  Your momma named you C-Man...I'm going with C-Man.

• Like 1

Hahah funny thing is I know you in real life and I still call you C-Man. Saved in my phone as C-Man, refer to you as C-Man if we're ever talking about trying to make plans with y'all, etc. Hell, I'd probably have to think pretty hard to come up with your real name most times.  Your momma named you C-Man...I'm going with C-Man.

83411ffad76e8e80eff40a65e86a8404.gif
  • Haha 1

So we are trying some other Detroit style pizza place from Lakewood, I think, on Saturday night. One of Mrs C-Man's friends is driving that bus. Think this place is running the Detroit pies on take-out basis only from their restaurant.

Is that the one on Buckner?

Oops -- I goofed. She's picking up Thunderbird, the Detroit-style Zoli's is doing as take-out only. I'm excited -- all of Zoli's shit is pretty good.
We will try Big D Pizza and 8 Mile Pies at some point.

Sadly Jay isn’t doing Thunderbird out of Cane Rosso White Rock. Zoli’s is too far for this Lakewood rat.

Oops -- I goofed. She's picking up Thunderbird, the Detroit-style Zoli's is doing as take-out only. I'm excited -- all of Zoli's shit is pretty good.
We will try Big D Pizza and 8 Mile Pies at some point.

When all this Corona shit is over we should plan a Dallas Surly foodie get together cook-off/beer-off with lando, the md’s and any other suitable victims.
  • Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

Sadly Jay isn’t doing Thunderbird out of Cane Rosso White Rock. Zoli’s is too far for this Lakewood rat.

You can do it, man. It's a LONG run for me from near Love Field to get Rock City Za. At any rate, this isn't happening now. Our friend who was bringing the 'za is getting tested for the 'rona today. She was at her sister's small family get-together this past Saturday and a few people popped positive. Also, another friend who was going to join us tested positive on Monday.

15 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

When all this Corona shit is over we should plan a Dallas Surly foodie get together cook-off/beer-off with lando, the md’s and any other suitable victims.

giphy.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Awesome. Probably the lowest rent shopping center in that zip code. Good group of people that work there. 

Oh, no doubt. I live about six houses off Lovers from that center. Red's, a corner store, doesn't open until noon on Sundays. It's a place to buy cigarettes, beer and lottery tickets. Crank too, I'm pretty sure.

• 2 weeks later...

We aren't Keto but try to eat relatively low carb so we've only done pizza a couple of times per year typically.  However, we just realized a few weeks back that Fireside Pies has a cauliflower crust option for an upcharge.   It's damn good and can barely notice the difference.   Probably a game changer for us and definitely now squarely in our takeout rotation.  Just a heads up for anyone else that likes pizza but doesn't like the carbs.

3 hours ago, mdmost said:

Does Fireside Pies still do the crustless pizza option? Where it's basically cheese, sauce and toppings. Almost like a pizza fondu. 

Never heard of that so not sure.  Didn't notice that on the menu. I've only had Fireside a handful of times previously.  Always thought it was decent but we typically would order Zalat or Grimaldis.  But heard from someone else about the Cauliflower option so have ordered a couple of times now .

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/9/2020 at 6:33 PM, DDD Dad said:

how's everybody doing on the vaccines?  i got my second dose on Saturday.  i'll be ready to roll with a foodie get together soon enough.

11 hours ago, Jive Turkey said:

how's everybody doing on the vaccines?  i got my second dose on Saturday.  i'll be ready to roll with a foodie get together soon enough.

Getting my second Thursday. Met some of you weirdoes 7 or 8 years ago and the rest of you never. Let’s get outside and make some mistakes. 

12 hours ago, Jive Turkey said:

51 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Getting my second Thursday. Met some of you weirdoes 7 or 8 years ago and the rest of you never. Let’s get outside and make some mistakes. 

Got my second last Tuesday. Bam!

21 hours ago, Jive Turkey said:

9 hours ago, Firemans4Horn said:

8 hours ago, C-Man said:

Got my second last Tuesday. Bam!

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

Ordered pick up from Olivella's for the first time tonight in the 7th months I've lived in Lakewood. Not sure you could fuck up an order for two pizzas as bad as they did. Pizza I finally received 40 minutes after I arrived to pick up tasted good but the price was laughable for such a tiny pizza. Would order Cane Rosso (or Pizzeria Testa) 100 out of 100 times if I wanted Napoletana style.