2020 NASCAR Thread

Lat22

No idea, and I have no idea what the motivation or use for the noose was, but it's definitely a noose ... counter to the scores of people claiming it was a common door pull and ridiculing the team for not knowing a common door pull when they saw it.

Small or not, and for whatever purpose ... that's a noose. So any potential misunderstanding is completely understandable given the current social climate, the locale, the context of Wallace having just called for NASCAR to ban Confederate flags, and some fans' corresponding reactions to that.

• Like 1

NASCAR has indefinitely suspended Theodore Brown, who has served as crew chief of Mike Harmon Racing’s No. 74 car this season.

Brown, 48, was suspended for a violation of Section 12.8.1.e of the Xfinity Series rulebook, which covers behavioral penalties, including as a result of a NASCAR member being charged with or convicted of “significant criminal violations.”

Brown, of Mooresville, N.C., was arrested on June 8 and charged with habitual misdemeanor assault, which is a Class H felony in North Carolina, and misdemeanor assault on a female.

Brown’s first court date for both charges is July 28 in Iredell County. He is out on $10,000 bond.

The No. 74 car has had several drivers this season, including Mike Harmon, Kyle Weatherman and Bayley Currey.

Brown has served as crew chief on the No. 74 all 11 races this season.

Bruce Cook is listed as the No. 74’s crew chief on this weekend’s entry list at Pocono Raceway. Weatherman is scheduled to drive the car.

So the crew chief for the Back the Blue car is a habitual woman beater?

casablanca.jpg?w=259

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

There's more where that came from right here:

That's actually what reminded me of those photos - I remember when they came out - there's some Jamie McMurray ones in there that I remember (followed Texaco/Havoline racing), along with some Dale Jarrett ones.   Even a Mark Martin one or two.

That one of Dale Jr. And Truex Jr looks like their fucking prom photo, LOL.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

A human Ken doll that came up through simulator racing and whose primary sponsor is Liberty University. 

He's so utterly devoid of personality that he makes Kasey Kahne seem like Anthony Bourdain in comparison. 

damn those simulators must be pretty good

On 8/30/2020 at 4:03 PM, Prepuce of Doom said:

A human Ken doll that came up through simulator racing and whose primary sponsor is Liberty University. 

He's so utterly devoid of personality that he makes Kasey Kahne seem like Anthony Bourdain in comparison. 

He's also a LIberty student, and an Eagle Scout. 

Not exactly on the guest list for a Jackie Treehorn beach party. 

Fontana to be converted into half-mile short track https://racer.com/2020/09/08/fontana-to-be-converted-into-half-mile-short-track/

Wow. This is really something. I guess it just reflects the condition of motorsport these days. Super speedway and big venue road course racing seems to be slowing down while short track racing is thriving and growing by leaps and bounds. Seems they're trying to position themselves as the big dog in the western US short track scene while still potentially keeping a NASCAR date. Probably a smart move, imho. I don't like big oval racing much, but short oval racing (esp on dirt) is the shit.

Edited by wood

On 9/8/2020 at 3:53 PM, wood said:

Fontana to be converted into half-mile short track https://racer.com/2020/09/08/fontana-to-be-converted-into-half-mile-short-track/

Wow. This is really something. I guess it just reflects the condition of motorsport these days. Super speedway and big venue road course racing seems to be slowing down while short track racing is thriving and growing by leaps and bounds. Seems they're trying to position themselves as the big dog in the western US short track scene while still potentially keeping a NASCAR date. Probably a smart move, imho. I don't like big oval racing much, but short oval racing (esp on dirt) is the shit.

Very cool - should open up a lot more races for them as far as locals/regionals.

Plus, they maybe angling for a deal with Tony Stewart's organization - that's focused on short tracks.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

Rumor of a NASCAR date at COTA next year. We will see. Other sites jumping on this and reporting it as if it's already done, but the original story doesn't seem to say that. Looks like they only say that the TMS move frees up a weekend that could go to COTA or another track.

NASCAR moving All-Star Race to Texas, clearing the way to add a Cup race at COTA https://theathletic.com/2082618/2020/09/21/nascar-moving-all-star-race-to-texas-clearing-the-way-to-add-a-cup-race-at-cota/

We'll see. It would be cool though.

Edited by wood

18 hours ago, wood said:

Rumor of a NASCAR date at COTA next year. We will see. Other sites jumping on this and reporting it as if it's already done, but the original story doesn't seem to say that. Looks like they only say that the TMS move frees up a weekend that could go to COTA or another track.

NASCAR moving All-Star Race to Texas, clearing the way to add a Cup race at COTA https://theathletic.com/2082618/2020/09/21/nascar-moving-all-star-race-to-texas-clearing-the-way-to-add-a-cup-race-at-cota/

We'll see. It would be cool though.

I have my doubts, but it ticks some boxes for NASCAR

• Probably get a sweetheart deal from the raceway, Texas, and City of Austin (let's not kid ourselves, money will drive this).
  • Expands their market/footprint into an area they aren't in, and it's not just Austin, but also pulls from San Antonio.  Would also get Houston and Dallas fans.
  • The infrastructure to handle a NASCAR event is already in place, due to the existing race and numerous festivals - Austin already has the hotels, nearby airport, etc.
  • A lot of people have been pushing them to expand outside of existing ovals.

Would be cool.  I was dreading taking my kid up to TMS.