What the Hell Happened to Vince Young?

Chuckie Finster

We are in the dark ages with how we treat mental illness.  Slowly making progress...

Wish VY the best, he always seemed like a good guy just having a little too much fun, even when he got in trouble, nothing malicious.  Who amongst the surly brethren hasn’t done some really stupid/illegal shit?  Definitely guilty here.  

You see people all the time - ‘man how could person X be so stupid? Blah blah’...yeah they didn’t get the help they needed and it was stupid but that swashbuckling, zero fucks attitude is also the reason he was calm cool and collected beating the greatest team of all time.  Can’t always separate the two...

Edited by ChiTownDoc
  • Like 6

The story about the cafeteria fight really reminded me how people can live in two totally different worlds, yet still in the same county.  That's part of that 'entitlement' Twice mentioned.  "Until you have walked a mile in their shoes..." is a hard thing to remember sometimes.  

I would think probably more PTSD as a mental issue than anxiety?    Lots of trauma to be exposed to early and often.  

• Like 1

It’s like when a poor person wins the lottery, they aren’t used to it and end up broke soon after.  And fuck, they were poor before, so losing it isn’t as big of an adjustment.  

I wish there was a better way to take care of these guys.  The pension he has earned will mean he will never be destitute.  Plus Texas takes care of their own.  

11 minutes ago, FartingMonk said:

It was like when I joined the military.  You find out guys have never left their city.  Well not even their part of the city.  Mind boggling.  I feel like some kids from Vince's neighborhood go through the same thing

Yeah, that's a microcosm of it.  You think about things that you kind of take for granted that you learned from your parents or peers:  bank accounts, car loans, home mortgages, saving, investment, hell, even paying taxes.  If nothing else, you learn from their mistakes.

Then there are more advanced things, like using credit cards, IRAs/401k, planning for college, making sound career choices, having a will or probating it, stuff like that.

We may not do it right, or early enough, or whatever, but those accoutrement of life are more than an abstraction to most of us.

I'm not even sure those things are an abstraction to a lot of people.  When you think about it that way, it gives you a bit of a different perspective.  It's not even about education, per se.

One of my all time favorite memories of Vince was brought back to life by this post.  

It was at Baylor and must have been 2003.  I was looking to leave the stadium, but they gated off a section under the bleachers so I was kind of stuck.  A few seconds later I see the Longhorns running past the gates and realize this is the Longhorn path to the locker room, so I stand and watch.

A handful of players do the typical shuffle to the locker room, and then came Vince.  I can't remember the nickname for the super fat dude with the ring of keys and the john deer that seemed to be the equipment manager at the time, but he was standing with his arms crossed facing the gate making sure none of us hooligans attempted to rush it or something.  Vince came skipping (but it looked more like flying) with huge skipping steps hooping and hollering, and mid 180 spin / skip, he layed a big fat hand slap on fat dudes ass and kept on skipping into the locker room.  Fatty gave him a quick look over the shoulder then turned back to staring at us.

He seemed to truly love everything about the game, at least while he was a Horn.  

• Like 4

On 2/6/2020 at 6:55 PM, Johnny Sack said:

I wish there was a better way to take care of these guys.  The pension he has earned will mean he will never be destitute.  Plus Texas takes care of their own

The world has always been about rich/smart people separating poor/dumb people from their money. That won't change. No need to classify football players (or athletes in general) as a special exemption. 

I'd wager Marshawn Lynch had a rough go of it growing up in Oakland with his dad in jail, yet somehow he decided he wasn't gonna spend his nfl paychecks and instead exist only spending his endorsement money. Takin care of the chicken, so to speak. Some guys get it, others never will. 

Edited by Blotto

• 1 month later...

Every time this thread gets bumped, I hold my breath as I’m clicking on it. Thank you, Matt Miller. Also, if we’re just talking college you could easily replace Ed Reed with Evil Roy and it would be hard to question. Hindsight is 20/20 but he was widely regarded as the best saftey in that draft class going into the draft. 

**ducks for cover**

Edited by youdunnf'dup

On 2/9/2020 at 8:58 PM, TwiceHorn said:

Yeah, that's a microcosm of it.  You think about things that you kind of take for granted that you learned from your parents or peers:  bank accounts, car loans, home mortgages, saving, investment, hell, even paying taxes.  If nothing else, you learn from their mistakes.

Then there are more advanced things, like using credit cards, IRAs/401k, planning for college, making sound career choices, having a will or probating it, stuff like that.

We may not do it right, or early enough, or whatever, but those accoutrement of life are more than an abstraction to most of us.

I'm not even sure those things are an abstraction to a lot of people.  When you think about it that way, it gives you a bit of a different perspective.  It's not even about education, per se.

It is absurd the things they teach in elementary and Jr high but can't get around to teaching the basics of money management. Or maybe they do now. My school didn't teach me shit on that, but I did take a very practical art history class in 7th grade.