Jump to content
petscii

2021 Texas Baseball

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

My reaction that day...    "FUCK YEAH!!!" 🤘   

 

 

Edited by LTtxfan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Of course, just like the KBL, they’re fucking it up with split-screen interviews. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking like Witt and Halpin are telling teams they will go to college unless they get high first round money.  As it stands, Kelley is the only signee who is guaranteed to get drafted high enough to sign, with Tucker likely gone as well.  Jones is 50/50.  And it would not be shocking if Elder wasn’t drafted.  Gonna be STACKED next year.

 

Was really surprised CJ Hinojosa was released.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good Luck,  Bryce  !     (excerpts)    (Parker Joe advanced to Class A in the Angels orgn, did ok,   listed as voluntarily retired, likely injury.   Great person,  may be governor of California someday or star in remake of Fast Times at Ridgemont High,  could go either way)  🙂

What does one do in the days leading up to the MLB draft?

If you’re Texas pitcher Bryce Elder, you golf. You prepare for a watch party with your family. And you head over to your grandmother’s home to mow the lawn because even a potential draft pick has chores to handle.

For the past three years, Elder has mowed down batters as a member of UT’s pitching staff. On either Wednesday or Thursday, he could hear his name called in the MLB’s abbreviated five-round draft.

“The way that the coronavirus ended the season, it made for a long time before the draft where you really can’t control anything,” Elder said this week. “I’m just trying to find ways to get better even though we can’t play. Wherever the chips fall, they do. I trust that’s what’s supposed to happen and we’ll move forward from there and see where it goes.”

Will Elder be one of the 160 players selected this week? He believes so. MLB.com lists the 6-2, 200-pound right-hander as the draft’s 109th-best prospect

Texas freshman Pete Hansen called Elder the “greatest leader I’ve ever played with.” UT coach David Pierce listed him  as “one of the best pitchers that’s ever pitched for me.”

According to Elder, the strides he’s taken over the past few years can partially be credited to working with Santa Barbara Foresters manager Bill Pintard in summer ball. He has attempted to emulate the on-mound demeanor of Parker Joe Robinson, who was a reliever and redshirt junior at Texas when Elder was a self-described high-strung freshman.

“The way he went about things was way more relaxed than I’d ever seen it,” Elder said. “He didn’t care what happened when he was out there. He didn’t care if he gave up a ton of runs. All he did was go out there and throw his stuff.”

Over the past few months, he has worked out on a mound that he borrowed from his high school and placed in a friend’s shop. He met with prospective teams over Zoom. Now, he is simply waiting for a phone call.

“If we find the right fit, then I might go play pro ball. If we don’t, I’ll probably go back to Texas,” Elder said. “I think that’s what it comes down to, whatever the best decision at the time is going to be.”

 

https://www.hookem.com/story/his-evolution-at-texas-now-complete-pitcher-bryce-elder-turns-toward-the-mlb-draft/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, Horny Bull said:

Well this killed some of my optimism:

 

I’m hopeful on Witt and Halpin.  It sounds like Witt has some helium heading into tomorrow but with this draft there’s a lot of guys vying for those few overslot deals.  Halpin doesn’t have first round talent as he stands and since it doesn’t look like he will sign underslot, I think he makes it to Austin.  Sounds like Jones, Kelley, and Tucker are gone.
 

I think the shorter draft is going to lead a lot of teams with bigger bonus pools to try to get 4 2nd round bonus types rather than 2 1st round bonus types, which would leave a lot of these guys demanding 1st round money left out in the cold.  That may benefit the Horns, if all 5 of their best signees are in that group demanding 1st round money.  
 

The MLB is always a crapshoot and even moreso this year.  But if Texas is able to keep 2 of the 6 guys they expect to lose, that would be a win.  

Edited by Snake Diggity

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thru 23 picks I only see 3 that I think are likely to be underslot signings.  If Kelley, Jones, and Witt are all holding out for Top 20 type money odds are looking good that at least one of those guys ends up in Austin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Who knows what will happen but at this point the only way Jones, Kelley, or Witt are going pro is if they are willing to accept less than 1st round money because I don’t see any team with enough remaining slot money to make it happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The White Sox only have $7.7 million in draft pool money. They're either allocating almost all their money to the first two picks, or Kelley is going way under what he wanted or Kelley isn't signing. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing that gives me hope is that bonuses are deferred this year, so players aren’t even getting the money until next year at the earliest.  If Kelley or Jones think they’re first round talents they need to head to Texas.  But in traditional drafts very few players from the 2nd round go unsigned, so all in all I expect them to be gone.  But things are looking good for Witt and Halpin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Son of a bitch.  Elder to the Braves in the 5th, best of luck to him.  Horns likely to lose 5 to the draft.  Tanner Witt headed to Austin.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Horns should still have a stacked roster:

 

CF Kennedy

SS Faltine

1B Zubia

3B Williams

LF Ellis

RF Todd

DH Witt/Hodo

2B Campbell/Dixon/Stehly

C Ardoin/Powell

SP: Witt, Madden, Cobb, Hansen, Sthele

RP: Duplantier, Fields, Quintanilla, Kubichek, Southard, Stevens, Walbridge, Gordon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

Son of a bitch.  Elder to the Braves in the 5th, best of luck to him.  Horns likely to lose 5 to the draft.  Tanner Witt headed to Austin.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was afraid that Elder would get picked near the end.  Good for him though, he deserves it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, cochamps said:

Was afraid that Elder would get picked near the end.  Good for him though, he deserves it.

This !

Not only great for Elder,  but great for the program to have a top 5 draft pick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Js1 said:

 

Hoped to get more of these guys, but glad Tanner decided to come to UT.  Hook ‘em!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, cochamps said:

Fucking bastards.  

The Tribe not only snagged two of our recruits, but also Jose Tolentino’s son Milan in the fourth round.  Seems like some kind of Longhorn stalking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/9/2020 at 8:41 PM, Snake Diggity said:

I’m hopeful on Witt and Halpin.  It sounds like Witt has some helium heading into tomorrow but with this draft there’s a lot of guys vying for those few overslot deals.  Halpin doesn’t have first round talent as he stands and since it doesn’t look like he will sign underslot, I think he makes it to Austin.  Sounds like Jones, Kelley, and Tucker are gone.
 

I think the shorter draft is going to lead a lot of teams with bigger bonus pools to try to get 4 2nd round bonus types rather than 2 1st round bonus types, which would leave a lot of these guys demanding 1st round money left out in the cold.  That may benefit the Horns, if all 5 of their best signees are in that group demanding 1st round money.  
 

The MLB is always a crapshoot and even moreso this year.  But if Texas is able to keep 2 of the 6 guys they expect to lose, that would be a win.  

 

On 6/10/2020 at 8:36 PM, Snake Diggity said:

Thru 23 picks I only see 3 that I think are likely to be underslot signings.  If Kelley, Jones, and Witt are all holding out for Top 20 type money odds are looking good that at least one of those guys ends up in Austin.

 

On 6/10/2020 at 11:12 PM, Snake Diggity said:

Who knows what will happen but at this point the only way Jones, Kelley, or Witt are going pro is if they are willing to accept less than 1st round money because I don’t see any team with enough remaining slot money to make it happen.

 

11 hours ago, Snake Diggity said:

One thing that gives me hope is that bonuses are deferred this year, so players aren’t even getting the money until next year at the earliest.  If Kelley or Jones think they’re first round talents they need to head to Texas.  But in traditional drafts very few players from the 2nd round go unsigned, so all in all I expect them to be gone.  But things are looking good for Witt and Halpin.

 

11 hours ago, Snake Diggity said:

F.  I assume Halpin will sign.  Witt is the only hope at this point.

 

10 hours ago, Snake Diggity said:

We will if he doesn’t get picked.  40 to go.

 

8 hours ago, Snake Diggity said:

Son of a bitch.  Elder to the Braves in the 5th, best of luck to him.  Horns likely to lose 5 to the draft.  Tanner Witt headed to Austin.  

lulz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


mpu


Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion
×
×
  • Create New...