Texas basketball 2020-21: Not even Shaka can fuck this up...right?

Goo Punch

You implied that Tennessee finishing near the top of their conference may be part of the reason that they haven't been matched up against us. I merely pointed out that the same supposed protocol would've prevented Kentucky from being matched up against us as well. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

12 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

You implied that Tennessee finishing near the top of their conference may be part of the reason that they haven't been matched up against us. I merely pointed out that the same supposed protocol would've prevented Kentucky from being matched up against us as well. 

i did not imply anything, i out and out described the process they use to select the matchups for this event. that's why the bottom 4 SEC teams are playing in an altogether different tournament against some AAC teams for something like that. they match the teams up based and previous conference standings. 

there's been speculation as to why this year's bracket has not followed the traditional formula (i've read that they're going off of the 17-18 standings for this year for some reason), but traditionally they make the pairings by conference standings. but please don't let that get in the way of you being all upset over nothing again. 

2 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

there's been speculation as to why this year's bracket has not followed the traditional formula (i've read that they're going off of the 17-18 standings for this year for some reason), but traditionally they make the pairings by conference standings. but please don't let that get in the way of you being all upset over nothing again. 

We played LSU last year. What was the reason for that? I'm not upset I just don't think your theory with respect to Tennessee holds weight given it hasn't for the past 2 seasons. It's much more likely that either Shaka or Rick specifically made it known that they don't want to play each other. 

13 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

BU, KU, WVU, and TTU as four of our first six games. Gonna be an interesting start to conference play.

In this conference, unless there's a rule change and you could start the season with 4 games against TCU, any combination of opening opponents is going to be interesting.

5 hours ago, Steamboat1874 said:

0-2 at least to start.

A reason why I have a small amount of hope about the game in Lawrence: it's during break so the students aren't around and Kansas emailed their season ticket holders that capacity is likely capped around 1,500 this year. (There's a tweet from a Kansas beat writer talking about this I retweeted last night, but I don't have it in front of me.) So they're going to The Phog, but it won't exactly be The Phog.

Texas will be the underdog, and given the Longhorns' record in Lawrence it's entirely reasonable to believe a win when you'll see it and not a moment before. This just might not be quite the normal circumstances.

Edited by Bitterwhiteguy

On 4/24/2020 at 6:56 PM, Goo Punch said:

I'll say it right now: Roy Williams would win 25-30 games and go to the EE or Final Four with this roster. It's built for speed, and we may honestly have the most athletic lineup in America. Hamm, Sims, Kai Jones, Donovan Williams, and GB III is as athletic a fivesome as any team in country has, and that's not even considering that Andrew Jones was once a pretty damn athlete before cancer and chemo ravaged his body, so let's not count him all the way out of this list either. Shaka is an absolute moron if he doesn't run up and down like every game is a track meet with this team, and the days of Texas being painfully slow and low scoring *should* be a thing of the past, if only for one year. This is by far the best team Shaka Smart has ever coached. Anything less than a summarily satisfying season should result in his immediate termination. Good luck Shaka- you seriously shouldn't need it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We’ve been running up and down ever since Barnes. Our problem is when teams slow us down and make us run a half court set. We have four players ball watching with an occasional half ass screen. I’m not taking the bait with this team.

1 hour ago, Bitterwhiteguy said:

A reason why I have a small amount of hope about the game in Lawrence: it's during break so the students aren't around and Kansas emailed their season ticket holders that capacity is likely capped around 1,500 this year. (There's a tweet from a Kansas beat writer talking about this I retweeted last night, but I don't have it in front of me.) So they're going to The Phog, but it won't exactly be The Phog.

Texas will be the underdog, and given the Longhorns' record in Lawrence it's entirely reasonable to believe a win when you'll see it and not a moment before. This just might not be quite the normal circumstances.

Man I hope you are right.

6 hours ago, Steamboat1874 said:

0-2 at least to start.

Well our 2nd conference game is actually OSU at home, so no reason to assume 0-2 although it's certainly possible.

Bottom line is we have 100% of our team back from last year and added greg brown. Shaka should be competing for the conference championship. If he cant beat the Baylors and KU's of the conference this year, with this roster, it wont happen. My guess is 11-7 or 10-8, cause Shaka.

Edited by Blotto
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Well our 2nd conference game is actually OSU at home, so no reason to assume 0-2 although it's certainly possible.

Bottom line is we have 100% of our team back from last year and added greg brown. Shaka should be competing for the conference championship. If he cant beat the Baylors and KU's of the conference this year, with this roster, it wont happen. My guess is 11-7 or 10-8, cause Shaka.

Oh we aren't beating Baylor.  They are basically returning their entire team that was one of the favorites to win it all last year.  We are returning out entire team and just adding one player from one of the favorites to be in the First Four last year. 

Womp womp. 

8 hours ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

We’ve been running up and down ever since Barnes. Our problem is when teams slow us down and make us run a half court set. We have four players ball watching with an occasional half ass screen. I’m not taking the bait with this team.

we've been one of the slowest teams in America since Barnes left. Barnes and Penders used to run up and down here, but under Shaka all we do is slow it down. you don't score 64 ppg by running up and down. 

edit:

Average possession length national rankings for Texas under Shaka Smart:

2020- 271st nationally

2019- 284

2018- 252

2017- 137

2016- 235

Edited by shadow_operative

That actually sounds about right.  Maybe a spot too high, but who the fuck knows in 2020?  We can't get any worse.  Or maybe.  Who the fuck knows?  Who the fuck cares?  

But we've got a salty schedule, the team has got a lot of great young men on it, so let's play ball.  

4 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

our talent, depth, and athleticism buys him another year. then, when we go 10-21 in 2021, THEN Shaka Smart might finally be on the hot seat. 

I struggle to see how this team doesn't perform well enough to buy Shaka another year, but then again Shaka has exceeded my pessimism routinely in the past. 

On 10/31/2020 at 4:57 PM, Blotto said:

I struggle to see how this team doesn't perform well enough to buy Shaka another year, but then again Shaka has exceeded my pessimism routinely in the past. 

Esp since "well enough" means "win 20 games and make the NCAA Tournament". He doesn't have to win the Big 12 or make a deep post-season run over even put together a 27-win season w post-season flameout. He just has to go 20-10 or thereabouts and make the tournament. We can finish 6th in the conference, even.

On 10/31/2020 at 10:35 AM, Xian said:

Guessing Herman suckage buys Shaka another year?

I don't think it hurts that the football program is in crisis mode right now, but I think Shaka had this year pretty much no matter what anyway.  I think the following year might be a different story.  

y'all we are going to be the worst team in the league and finish dead last while scoring about 60 ppg next season when we lose essentially this year's entire roster. just as this year should easily be Shaka's best year at Texas, next season should be his worst, which is obviously saying something. and what's fucked up about that is that when we do fire this loser we will be facing a full rebuild, something we were *not* facing when we hired this assclown.

the 21-22 roster will be embarrassingly thin and devoid of talent, and whoever takes over next is going to have to un-fuck this situation from square one. point being, Shaka will survive this season, but he won't survive the next one. barring some idiot AD hiring him away after this campaign, we should have exactly two more years of this joke of a coach before finally and mercifully being able to move on. 

projected 2022 roster at this point:

Starting Five:

Courtney Ramey, Sr

Donovan Williams, Jr

Kai Jones, Jr

Brock Cunningham, Jr

Will Baker, Jr

Bench players:

Kamaka Hepa, Jr

Tamar Bates, Fr

Emarion Ellis, Fr

David Joplin, Fr

Keeyan Itejere, Fr

a good coach could probably get that squad on the verge of playing in the tournament; with Shaka running the show we'll be lucky to go 6-12 in league play. although i will say that it would really be something to see a team attempt 28 3PA/gm with nobody shooting over 30%.

Edited by shadow_operative

8 hours ago, SwanderedTalent said:

Esp since "well enough" means "win 20 games and make the NCAA Tournament". He doesn't have to win the Big 12 or make a deep post-season run over even put together a 27-win season w post-season flameout. He just has to go 20-10 or thereabouts and make the tournament. We can finish 6th in the conference, even.

Downgrade that to whatever the 25-game equivalent is (16-9? 17-8?) because everybody's non-con is basically cut in half this year.