Texas basketball 2020-21: Not even Shaka can fuck this up...right?

Goo Punch

1 hour ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

JFC can people express any disappointment in players not playing up to expectation so far without getting told to relax or calm down? 

No one is saying He sucks or that Jones is terrible

He said Jones might be done in by leukemia, which is pretty fucking stupid. Should I call him pretty fucking stupid next time? 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, CheesePie said:

He said Jones might be done in by leukemia, which is pretty fucking stupid. Should I call him pretty fucking stupid next time? 

Sure it’s a free country call him what you want but it doesn’t change someone having a opinion and me calling you a fucking pussy that can’t handle an opinion. That cool?

3 hours ago, Hard Times said:

Andrew Jones was 1-7 from the field last night w/ 5 turnovers. He wasn't much better against IN. I'd like to see Brockingham and Kai get more of his minutes. He's been a liability at this point. Unfortunately I'm afraid the Leukemia might have done him in. Would love to see a turnaround and I hope I'm wrong, but at this point he needs to see the court less. Febres can't get back soon enough.

AJ is one of our best players and is going to be fine. Hepa and Febres will not/should not take any of his minutes.

Edited by shadow_operative

Interesting post. Anyone who watches the games can see that the team is better when Brock is on the court. He improves everyone's game with his defense, unselfishness and contagious hustle. I've said he reminds me a little of Ginobli, but now I'm thinking that mixed with Eduardo Najara. He is a straight up winner and needs more minutes.

Plus, he will almost certainly be a 4-year player and is only going to get better.  He is the perfect player to have in addition to the 5-star one and done types as he will make them better and also do the dirty work. Hamm may also be in this category. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, HookEm said:

Interesting post. Anyone who watches the games can see that the team is better when Brock is on the court. He improves everyone's game with his defense, unselfishness and contagious hustle. I've said he reminds me a little of Ginobli, but now I'm thinking that mixed with Eduardo Najara. He is a straight up winner and needs more minutes.

Plus, he will almost certainly be a 4-year player and is only going to get better.  He is the perfect player to have in addition to the 5-star one and done types as he will make them better and also do the dirty work. Hamm may also be in this category. 

He's 3rd in minutes on the team. 

1 hour ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

I hope he keeps compiling this data as the season goes on, but 4 games is way too small of a sample size to take anything meaningful from lineup combinations or any of these metrics.  Some of his conclusions certainly seem to match up with the eye test, but it's too early to give those metrics any significance right now.  

I confess I have basketball PTSD, but this feels like every other year. We start with wins and look to have turned the corner. Even beat a team like NC. Then lose a tough game to a high ranked team, even though we kept it close and looked like we could take a bunch of positives from the loss. Then we start Big 12 play and totally collapse. We become very predictable and continue to struggle like were did today from behind the arc. We try to keep running the same offense and the more tape that exists, the easier it is to shut us down. Shaka never adjusts, we are average the rest of the year, and maybe we sneak into the tournament. I hope I'm wrong, but this feels like deja vu all over again. 

• Rage+1 2

On 11/28/2020 at 3:55 PM, shadow_operative said:

true, but when you add the fact that Kendal Yancy and and Demarcus Holland couldn't get a look either (with Holland coming off a Big XII All-Defense Team season/being the unquestioned team leader), while a guy like Tevin Mack (one of Shaka's guys) got chance after chance (even when he was just plain bad), to me it seems clear that Shaka had zero interest in giving anyone who wasn't one of "his guys" a fair shake. that's how i see it. 

edit: this trait is not unique to Shaka. in fact it's pretty much SOP. but it is what it is. he's misused his rosters in a litany of other ways, and while this one might be common, it still happened, and it still sucks to guys never get a shot and then go somewhere else and shine.

Especially when you recall that until recently transferring to another school could be an absolute nightmare.  Nobody wanted to be forced to take that step unless they felt desperate or had gotten into trouble.

• Hook 'Em 1

x/post from the Nova game thread (with some added thoughts), as it's relevant here as well:

one criticism of Shaka that even this team has proven still needs work is that he doesn't seem to do anything in regards to shaking guys of bad habits. whether he just doesn't see them, doesn't address them, or simply doesn't follow through with any punishment for making the same mistakes/bad plays over and over, his guys hold onto bad habits for far too long. 

with Ramey, the most obvious one is that he- literally 5-7 times per game minimum- aggressively drives the lane with his head down with zero plan for what he's going to do with the ball, usually ending him with him leaving his feet at which point he will then figure out whether he's going to pass the ball or shoot it. it drives me insane.

the other really noticeable thing is what a ball-stopper he is. he's the anti-Brock Cunningham, who usually holds onto the ball for about 0.3 seconds before either taking an open jumper or making a crisp pass. Ramey stops the ball, looks around, tries to figure something out, and then usually either shoots a terrible three or aggressively drives the lane with no plan (see above). how Shaka just sits around watching this happen all of the time I cannot explain.

if, instead of just allowing these wasted possessions to occur every single game as if it's just the cost of doing business, our HC would demand that we value the ball and hold ourselves accountable, well that could seriously be the difference in finishing 5th in the league or finishing first. we're gonna have a bunch of close games, and every possession in Big XII play is going to matter. i know that i should resign myself to this facet of Ramey's game remaining a fixture of our offense, but i'm still going to hope against hope that this improves somehow over the course of the season. 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 3

14 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

x/post from the Nova game thread (with some added thoughts), as it's relevant here as well:

one criticism of Shaka that even this team has proven still needs work is that he doesn't seem to do anything in regards to shaking guys of bad habits. whether he just doesn't see them, doesn't address them, or simply doesn't follow through with any punishment for making the same mistakes/bad plays over and over, his guys hold onto bad habits for far too long. 

with Ramey, the most obvious one is that he- literally 5-7 times per game minimum- aggressively drives the lane with his head down with zero plan for what he's going to do with the ball, usually ending him with him leaving his feet at which point he will then figure out whether he's going to pass the ball or shoot it. it drives me insane.

the other really noticeable thing is what a ball-stopper he is. he's the anti-Brock Cunningham, who usually holds onto the ball for about 0.3 seconds before either taking an open jumper or making a crisp pass. Ramey stops the ball, looks around, tries to figure something out, and then usually either shoots a terrible three or aggressively drives the lane with no plan (see above). how Shaka just sits around watching this happen all of the time I cannot explain.

if, instead of just allowing these wasted possessions to occur every single game as if it's just the cost of doing business, our HC would demand that we value the ball and hold ourselves accountable, well that could seriously be the difference in finishing 5th in the league or finishing first. we're gonna have a bunch of close games, and every possession in Big XII play is going to matter. i know that i should resign myself to this facet of Ramey's game remaining a fixture of our offense, but i'm still going to hope against hope that this improves somehow over the course of the season. 

Yep. This is a Shaka trademark.  He also allows us to settle for a bunch of bad 3s in a row without doing anything and lets the other team make a huge run.  Our teams under him have the same mistakes every year. Poor shot selection, too much perimeter dribbling and passing that accomplishes nothing, lack of attacking in transition, the weakest screens you've ever seen in your life, and completely ignoring the roll man in the PnR.  Our personnel has at least finally made him quit trying to utilize stretch 4s that can't shoot, but I'm sure if DO was on the roster, he'd still be trying to make a square peg fit into a round hole. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Shaka was a little more forthcoming than usual. Talks about how so far into the season, statistically, the starting 5 hasn't been our best lineup and even admits to Hamm playing better than Jericho at times this year. He was a lot more direct about his assessments than he is typically. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

3 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

the weakest screens you've ever seen in your life, and completely ignoring the roll man in the PnR.

i'm not sure we've set a legal screen all year, and i'm not even joking. some of us have been complaining about these screens for years now, and somehow it only seems to have gotten worse. our forwards don't know how to set a screen, our guards don't know how to properly utilize the screening action, and then as you said, even if they did they still completely ignore the screener once the screen has been taken. 

I remember at the end of last year when all of the shitty players who Shaka loved so much all got hurt, forcing him to play the guys who previously never got PT, and we won five in a row against some tough competition, which resulted pundits all over the country opining that Shaka had finally figured it out was really doing an amazing job. 🙄

the same thing is going to happen this year. our senior laden, uber athletic roster/stifling defense is going to have us winning more and making more highlight reel plays, and all of the people who don't actually watch Texas with any regularity are going to start singing his praises again. my only hope is that this causes some idiot AD back east to throw a ton of money at him after this season and save us from the blood soaked, nightmarish hellscape that will be Shaka Ball 2021-22.

• Hook 'Em 2

30 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Shaka was a little more forthcoming than usual. Talks about how so far into the season, statistically, the starting 5 hasn't been our best lineup and even admits to Hamm playing better than Jericho at times this year. He was a lot more direct about his assessments than he is typically. 

i can't watch the video right now, but i'm glad to hear that he's talking like this.

5 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

i'm not sure we've set a legal screen all year, and i'm not even joking. some of us have been complaining about these screens for years now, and somehow it only seems to have gotten worse. our forwards don't know how to set a screen, our guards don't know how to properly utilize the screening action, and then as you said, even if they did they still completely ignore the screener once the screen has been taken. 

I remember at the end of last year when all of the shitty players who Shaka loved so much all got hurt, forcing him to play the guys who previously never got PT, and we won five in a row against some tough competition, which resulted pundits all over the country opining that Shaka had finally figured it out was really doing an amazing job. 🙄

the same thing is going to happen this year. our senior laden, uber athletic roster/stifling defense is going to have us winning more and making more highlight reel plays, and all of the people who don't actually watch Texas with any regularity are going to start singing his praises again. my only hope is that this causes some idiot AD back east to throw a ton of money at him after this season and save us from the blood soaked, nightmarish hellscape that will be Shaka Ball 2021-22.

Was just about to say this exact same thing. It's frustrating as shit because its such an easy thing to teach and there's fucking youtube videos they could watch that would improve our pick and roll game tremendously. From what I've seen Hamm and Simms are the only ones that roll, everyone else pops out beyond the 3 pt line.

22 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

New season and you're still a clueless village idiot. Newsflash. With maybe a couple of occasional exceptions, no team at any level sets proper screens. In a proper screen, the ball handler actually rubs against the screener so there is no room for the defender to go through him. You don't dribble 3 feet behind the screener. Go watch a Duke game. Kentucky game, Tennessee game or any pro game and watch all of the improper screening.. Please stick to telling the board who the next hot 16 year old young man is.

• Fuck You 1

5 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

btw, didn't we have a guy dislocate his shoulder during practice when he properly took a screen from Gabe Muoneke? I want to say it might have been Clack. either way, we knew how to set and utilize screens under our previous coach. or do you not remember DJ Augustin and Damion James/Gary Johnson?

I remember just about everyone that played even before you were born. Practice is a different animal but then again, you probably didn't participate in many practices so you wouldn't understand..

9 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

as I said, sims needs less minutes

6 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

come on son. do i appear to be taking anything he says seriously? 

Not really. It's funny to me because I would never challenge your knowledge of Texas basketball. Something you seem to know more about than probably anyone here.

10 hours ago, realgreggym said:

I remember just about everyone that played even before you were born. Practice is a different animal but then again, you probably didn't participate in many practices so you wouldn't understand..

Ok, boomer.

Now, can you kindly shut the fuck up and quit shitting all over this thread?

22 minutes ago, Horn80 said:

Like to see Hepa get some minutes as I think he has gotten zero.  What is the deal is he injured?

Don't know, but he's the best cheerleader we have!

It sucks, I was pretty pumped when he signed here and expected bigger things from him.  I don't know what 6A Basketball in Alaska is like, but can't help but think his top 50 ranking coming out of high school might've been a little inflated.

He seems like a good dude, and good teammate...being enthusiastic while not getting minutes is usually reserved for the Walk-ons.

Edited by Tylerocks

1 hour ago, Tylerocks said:

It sucks, I was pretty pumped when he signed here and expected bigger things from him.  I don't know what 6A Basketball in Alaska is like, but can't help but think his top 50 ranking coming out of high school might've been a little inflated.

Didn't he play his junior & senior years in Oregon?

1 hour ago, MotownHorn said:

I don’t get it. He’s so talented but so timid

Except for when he aggressively commits shitty fouls on meaningless plays 

we need him, we just need him to focus and play hard in limited minutes.  we just should not try to force offense through him.

2 hours ago, dcar00 said:

we need him, we just need him to focus and play hard in limited minutes.  we just should not try to force offense through him.

One thing that got me in the Villanova game was anytime he tried to post up he ended up getting the ball around the 3 point line

Not sure if that's his fault or the passers but it was odd that he'd try to post up and end up catching it closer to the 3 point line than the block