Texas basketball 2020-21: Not even Shaka can fuck this up...right?

Goo Punch

On 12/8/2020 at 2:17 PM, realgreggym said:

With maybe a couple of occasional exceptions, no team at any level sets proper screens. 

ignoring how stupid and obviously untrue this statement is on its face, you're really going to sit there and tell the rest of us that this:

is the status quo? I don't think so. Our attempts to set/utilize screens under Shaka Smart have been futile and embarrassing. It's ridiculous. 

Edited by shadow_operative

there are no words to describe the complete ineptitude that every single member of this team displays when it comes to screens, and yet we use them as a base of our offense. shaka should be embarrassed by this shit. 

https://youtu.be/pRL9YNyNLg

.....or slip screens never meant to be real.  Sometimes it's only an exchange of matchups for a defense that switches.  Regardless the person most responsible for executing a good screen is the ball handler or the player being screened for. The screener is really only responsible for setting it at the correct angle. You don't want the screener "chasing" a screen especially not with the way they've been calling moving screens this year.  The off ball screens are where we really lack execution.  The ball screens are a bit more difficult to judge because we don't really know what's being asked specifically on any given play. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

2 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

The off ball screens are where we really lack execution.  The ball screens are a bit more difficult to judge because we don't really know what's being asked specifically on any given play. 

yes to both of these, plus a couple of thoughts:

A)I thought that clip of the Andrew Jones off-ball screen was the worst. He screened Brown's man so poorly that the guy was smothering Brown by the time he got the ball 

B)the fact that none of us can say exactly what we are watching with these screens, combined with the fact that the ensuing play in every single clip was ineffectual garbage is proof enough that whatever we are doing is not helping us out in any way.

i hate to say it, but i think Baylor handles us with relative ease tomorrow. i think we might struggle to score 60. Baylor was probably the best team in the country last year, and they're better this year. seeing how many stupid threes and empty possessions we take on offense, i just can't see us really being competitive unless those threes are falling. 

4 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

i hate to say it, but i think Baylor handles us with relative ease tomorrow. i think we might struggle to score 60. Baylor was probably the best team in the country last year, and they're better this year. seeing how many stupid threes and empty possessions we take on offense, i just can't see us really being competitive unless those threes are falling. 

Yeah, better offensively, much improved defensively, and better coached.  Yeah, I expect Bailor to win by 20+pts in Waco...

x/post from game thread:

i'm convinced that our shot selection from deep will be the no.1 factor in regards to where we finish in this conference, barring anything like injuries or suspensions. we take so many terrible threes that are just wasted possessions, with the long rebounds negating our size advantage and often leading to transition for the other team. we could have easily put OSU away and won this game by 15-20 today, but we let them stay in it with a couple of different periods where we just chunked up one terrible pull-up three after another. 

also, i think that a lot of people are really excited and are quick to claim that we are "for real" this year based on what we've seen, but i still see the same cracks that this program has always suffered for under Shaka, and he is still going to get out-coached on a regular basis in a very tough league. stupid shot selection, stupid turnovers, way too many stupid fouls for multiple key players every game; it's all still there. we've been winning because of our talent, but when we struggle in this league it will be because of our coaching disadvantage and lack of accountability. it's the same as it ever was, except that we finally have a senior laden, super experienced, uber athletic team where the one-and-done is a featuring perimeter player, and not a focal point who plays down low. that kind of talent and experience can cover a lot of those cracks, but make no mistake- they're still there. 

More Kai Jones and Greg Brown please.

G Matt Coleman

G Andrew Jones

G Courtney Ramey

F Greg Brown

F Kai Jones

That's a top 10, and maybe top 5, starting lineup in college basketball IMO. I'm not sure if the bench has enough offensive firepower, but this SHOULD be a very good basketball team. I'd like to see how much Williams has improved. He could be needed later on. A tall guard can be a lifesaver in certain matchups. I think this team has the capability to go with a 3 forward lineup in certain matchups, when you consider Brown and Kai can both play on the perimeter.

Texas is in a good spot if they keep winning - even if it's by a small margins to less talented teams like today. Sparty lost by 14 today @ NW and #13 Illinois got edged by Rutgers.

Just hang around in the B12 - winning the conference doesn't seem super realistic but you never know. Try and play for a top 4 or 5 seed and see where the chips fall in the tourney. 

Shaka is still holding them back in some ways but that shouldn't necessarily be a death sentence for these guys. There are certain things he coaches well - intensity on both ends and defense being the chief ones.

Who knows where things go from here, but I at least like the way the roster is constructed. We have defense when we need it. And scoring. We have glue guys and athletes. One and dones to go with experienced players.

And we are set up well to keep it going for another year or two with potentially very good but not NBA level players. Development of top 30-60 type players and keeping them in the program is crucial in college hoops and isn’t something that we have done well over the last 5-6 years.

It is possible we could run it back next year with:
SR Courtney Ramey
SR Jase Febres
SR Andrew Jones
JR Brock Cunningham
JR Kai Jones

And you have SR Hepa and SR Liddell off the bench. Plus whatever freshmen we end up with.

Could be a nice 2-year run.

Or we could crap the bed again. I’m trying to not get too emotionally attached to this team, but it is hard. They are good.

Our depth is a big positive.  I don't recall a 'horns squad in a while where this many guys can come off the bench and bring a positive to the game.

It's really hard to argue against Coleman/AJ/Brown.  Sims needs to come out of his funk.  Kai deserves far more minutes.  I don't know what to think about Ramey -- his effort and D are hard to discount but his offensive game is a mess.  To me, Hamm provides a great stabilizing guy off the bench, and he should be getting more minutes.  But, Cunningham, and even Donovan.

Nice problem to have.  Solve it, Shaka.  I do think this year is different.  It's not a bunch of band-aids, this is a legit top 20 team, at least so far.

Edited by jimmyjazz

D0D20F0E-6992-47C4-B4B9-073888F225DB.jpeg

believe it or not these rankings are actually a vast improvement over a typical Shaka Smart Texas team. still, we have got to improve these numbers if we want to even approach contending for the conference title. the three point numbers are especially disconcerting. if we cut our stupid three point attempts in half we could be making more threes on fewer attempts, and that could be the difference in finishing 1st or 2nd in the league, or finishing 4th or 5th. it's the most easily fixable problem with our current offense. unfortunately, history says that discouraging stupid three point attempts is not likely to happen any time soon. just have to hope we're hitting against the best teams. 

7 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

If Derka's inference is correct, those are two of the Longhorns' most important players, with Coleman arguably being No.1.

Texas has had two schools postpone/cancel for COVID reasons ... can it not do the same?

Big 12: oh you’re having COVID problems and 2 major players out? And playing who? Kansas, you say. Nah you have to play. 

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

so then it's Kai and Coleman. i was going to post that as a joke earlier, but now i'm worried .

Kai has an IG post where it appears he's with his teammates in Lawrence as they dismount the plane.  I say it appears because it's a POV reference and you don't actually see Kai. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn