Bourbon

Jimbaround

On 8/15/2020 at 1:48 PM, Yev Kassem said:

Just has an amazing mail call Saturday. My Joseph Magnus Cigar Blend (batch 24) and Bardstown Chateau de Laubade just arrived. I received these in a trade for a Weller Single Barrel (Plus $50 and shipping).  MSRP on the Magnus is $150-$200 and for the Bardstown is $150 or so (and it’s not even distributed in Texas).  For the $50 MSRP I paid for Weller SiB, I think I did pretty well here.

The Bardstown is 12 year MGP sourced juice, finished 18 months in armagnac barrels.

It's great that you enjoy those 2 bottles, I've seen the Weller Single barrel selling for about $700 on secondary. To each his own...

I’ve had the Weller SiB and it’s meh. It’s not better than WFP, which is going for $300 less than WSB on secondary.

Cigar Blend and Chateau de Laubade (each going for around $300 each on secondary) are two of the most flavorful and complex bourbons on the market right now. They both shitstomp WSB from both a taste and value perspective. 

6 hours ago, RaylanGivens said:

It's great that you enjoy those 2 bottles, I've seen the Weller Single barrel selling for about $700 on secondary. To each his own...

2 hours ago, Yev Kassem said:

I’ve had the Weller SiB and it’s meh. It’s not better than WFP, which is going for $300 less than WSB on secondary.

Cigar Blend and Chateau de Laubade (each going for around $300 each on secondary) are two of the most flavorful and complex bourbons on the market right now. They both shitstomp WSB from both a taste and value perspective. 

BOURBON FIGHT!!! Loser has to drink Garrison Bros Small Batch for an entire month. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Party_Taco said:

Tried to warn ya on the Old Tub... makes me sad given the number of lists it was on when it was “Kentucky Only”.

Wonder if they changed (read: fucked up) the recipe when they decided to go wide, or if it was always this way and nobody noticed because it was such a rarity...

I'm thinking the latter, but it's hard to say. 

Beam guys could y'all explain why Knob Creek and Booker's tastes so much better than anything labeled Jim Beam? It looks like they keep their mashbill consistent between products, Knob Creek/Baker's/Beam. 75% Corn, 13% Rye, 12% Barley. Old Granddad being the exception, 63% Corn, 27% Rye, 10% Barley. 

Well, I'll be drinking the "best bourbon in the world" tonight. EHT Single Barrel. 
I had a couple of pours of Bowman Single Barrel to wash the taste of Old Tub out of my mouth. Bowman wasn't as good as I remember it being. 

I had a similar experience with Bowman single barrel awhile back. Hadn’t touched it in awhile and I tasted a lot more of the barrel than I remembered tasting in the past. Not sure if my palate has changed that much or if the extra oxidation changed the flavor that much. Possibly some combination of the two.

Struck out on my goals for today so said fuck it and took a flyer on this guy:

ba675283a5929dcc85d28b6f4704de16.jpg

If it’s good, I may put down the whole bottle... been that kinda week!

I sure think it’s good, but it’s pretty unique. Feel free to send me your bottle if it doesn’t work for you.

47 minutes ago, RichUT said:

I had a similar experience with Bowman single barrel awhile back. Hadn’t touched it in awhile and I tasted a lot more of the barrel than I remembered tasting in the past. Not sure if my palate has changed that much or if the extra oxidation changed the flavor that much. Possibly some combination of the two.

It might have the Old Tub aftertaste. 

On 8/18/2020 at 6:45 PM, ousuxndallas said:

What's the flavor profile of EHT? More Rye or wheat? What does it compare to?

As I drink EHT SiB, I’d say a lot of bourbon drinkers could confuse it with Eagle Rare in a blind tasting.  Really similar taste on the palette, but EHT of course is hotter and finishes longer. 

I pick up more caramel in Eagle Rare, and it’s smooth throughout. 

I sure think it’s good, but it’s pretty unique. Feel free to send me your bottle if it doesn’t work for you.

It’s really good... very unique mouthfeel and that nose is something. Enticing like a gypsy whore, in that every sniff pre-poke is lovely, but she keeps you guessing all the way through.

What is the story on that bottle?

Not sure, it’s a store pick that has had a huge following in the bourbon groups in DFW.
It’s gone for anywhere from 120-150 the last few months secondary.
I’ve had it for about 9 months. Got it in a trade for an OWA.
It’s fucking great. Won’t last long.
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, ousuxndallas said:

Collection is growing. 207212d8885897b13821596b3c4f87ab.jpg5ddbe6e4ea4d64aafd0bfd4d7eaf93af.jpg4b961c80735c8dfb54433f875481be4d.jpg

Impressive. I’m finally going to inventory everything. I’m moving soon. I expect a few surprises. I know I haven’t forgotten about BTAC or something like that, but there should be a couple smiles. 

At a minimum I should have a home office and a walk in closet. If I can figure out how to post pictures on Surly, I’ll post some pictures once everything is settled. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, huge said:

Heaven Hill bib 7 would be really good if it had a different name and expectations at the price point.

Agreed.  Can't blame them for doing some profit-taking over the their previous 6-year product.  Just not really worth it considering all the other drinkable product out there.

I don't dislike it.  Just not a favorite to my palate.  

12 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Impressive. I’m finally going to inventory everything. I’m moving soon. I expect a few surprises. I know I haven’t forgotten about BTAC or something like that, but there should be a couple smiles. 

At a minimum I should have a home office and a walk in closet. If I can figure out how to post pictures on Surly, I’ll post some pictures once everything is settled. 

Movin' on up?

12 hours ago, RichUT said:

A buddy saw a bottle at a shop in Pflugerville that was priced at $700 yesterday.

Weller mania is in full effect.

It makes you appreciate family stores like Shaker and Oak Liquor Cabinet that much more. They don’t mark up, but they certainly could get away with it if they wanted to.

11 hours ago, huge said:

Heaven Hill bib 7 would be really good if it had a different name and expectations at the price point.

It’s worth buying one bottle so you can say you tried it. I didn’t care for it. You can do much better at that price point. 

Heaven Hill BiB 7 year lost to the 6 year in a  blind tasting on It’s Bourbon Night. Pretty telling.

Any of y’all in Austin tried this yet?
Picked this up for a virtual tasting on the 31st.
Gotta say, a free 375 ml bottle is a nice way to get people to try your bourbon.
Came with a piece of the barrel too.
Gonna crack it open tonight and try it.
69573437bdea5c84c3e5e00741281929.jpg

it’s pretty good, it’s young. Most Kentucky tasting Texas Bourbon I think I’ve tasted.
Finish on it is extremely short though.
I’ll definitely enjoy the rest of this bottle, but can’t honestly say I’d look for another.
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, SuperSport said:

Sometimes it’s nice to have family in Kentucky. And I don’t mean that in a West Virginia/Arkansas/Oklahoma kind of way.

24c529185bd0df003e9ce7aa4f7dbccf.jpg

Blanton’s is always a good score. I’ve heard  horror stories from locals about waiting in line for 3 hours at Buffalo Trace and not getting a bottle. 

I’d ask the family to pick up some cask strength Four Roses, and for them to pay a visit to the Heaven Hill Gift Shop.

Blanton’s is always a good score. I’ve heard  horror stories from locals about waiting in line for 3 hours at Buffalo Trace and not getting a bottle. 

I’d ask the family to pick up some cask strength Four Roses, and for them to pay a visit to the Heaven Hill Gift Shop.
I like ER more than Blantons, there I said it
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1