Hellraiser97

Scifi/Fantasy Book Recs

On 2/5/2020 at 11:09 PM, Chewbacca said:
On 2/5/2020 at 10:34 PM, Thujone said:
Yep. It will be released audio at the same time it comes out in other formats. 

Who reads it? You?

No. They send me samples of various pro readers and I pick one. If they agree with my choice, then that's who does it. Otherwise, publisher has final say.

2 hours ago, Thujone said:

No. They send me samples of various pro readers and I pick one. If they agree with my choice, then that's who does it. Otherwise, publisher has final say.

Well that's a lot less fun.

2 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Well that's a lot less fun.

I've got a short story coming out next month that I am doing the narration for. You can get your fill of me then.

Reading the Quantum Magician by Derek Kunsken. Phenomenal. Big book. Bigger concepts. Fast read. And it has this line: "Eat shit, you ball-sucking rim-jobber."

Edited by Thujone

I've been steadily consuming the CJ Cherryh "Foreigner" series recommended earlier. Not hard science at all (quite the opposite, it really makes no attempt to explain why things are or how they work; the sci-fi is really just a setting for the plot), but is great for the social interactions between different alien civilizations. She's done a great job of really creating these very fleshed-out races of aliens, with detailed distinctly different societies and cultures, and showing how they work (or don't work) together. I find the series especially interesting as one of my side interests is anthropology, and my own life and work is a constant awareness exercise bridging many cultures and societies. I connect with Bren, the protagonist, a lot.

I'm up to book 7 so far. In the books I've finished so far, there have been a few segments that dragged, but most of the time I haven't been able to put the book down. There's a ton of action in there, whether it be relationship problems, government problems, violence (revolts and assassinations), or even social comedy. This would make a great "grand-epic" TV series like GOT. Must make mention of the character Ilisidi, she's wonderful. Thanks for the recommendation, very enjoyable so far.

Just finished the Lightbringer series by Brent Weeks.  It's a finished series and was really well done imo.  sword and magic (heavy on the magic).

normally I have stuck with Kindle Unlimited 'free' books but no problem buying these. 

On 3/2/2020 at 3:50 PM, gyroprotagonist said:

Just finished the Lightbringer series by Brent Weeks.  It's a finished series and was really well done imo.  sword and magic (heavy on the magic).

normally I have stuck with Kindle Unlimited 'free' books but no problem buying these. 

His Night Angel trilogy is good too

On 3/2/2020 at 3:50 PM, gyroprotagonist said:

Good to know. I liked Night Angel but was waiting for the full set to be finished before I picked up Lightbringer.

Kingkiller and GOT have stopped me from picking up most unfinished works not written by Sanderson (who by the way it about to start partnering with other writers to increase the number of books in the Cosmere, awesome news, also just picked up Sanderson’s White Sands vol 3 which I’ll read when I need a break from the Malazhan books).

Update for those who care: I’m currently on book 11 of the 21 Malazhan books about to finish the original set of 10 soon.  Just found out and am a little irritated that they didn’t finish out one of the trilogies and have it listed as on hold while they started a new set of books but at this point it’s a sunk cost for me.

Just finished "Gun, with occasional Music".  Kinda' a sci-fi/detective novel.  Lots of "make" (term used in book) snorting, advanced shit talking babies, and a gangster Kangaroo are just a few things in this book.  Enjoyable read.

Ok, latest releases read this last month that didn't suck:

Tim Pratt - Axiom Trilogy

Django Wexler - Wells of Sorcery books 1 and 2

Chuck Wendig - Miriam Black series

Tamsyn Muir - Gideon the Ninth

Leigh Bardugo - Ninth House

Re-reads:

Kevin Hearne - Iron Druid Series

Books I wouldn't pollute a roaring fireplace with:

Jeff VanderMeer - Dead Astronauts

4 hours ago, Llogg said:

any neal stephenson fans? I'm near the end of Fall : Dodge in Hell. Read some harsh reviews but I kind of love it.

love him but still have only made it through half of that one, bit of a slog

I think it's actually very meta. Parts of it are really quick other parts slow as hell. Kind of how Meatspace denizens watching the Bitworld sometimes see a blur and other times see things crawling along at a snails pace. 

On 4/1/2020 at 11:36 PM, rage-a-holic said:

Ok, latest releases read this last month that didn't suck:

Tim Pratt - Axiom Trilogy

Django Wexler - Wells of Sorcery books 1 and 2

Chuck Wendig - Miriam Black series

Tamsyn Muir - Gideon the Ninth

Leigh Bardugo - Ninth House

Re-reads:

Kevin Hearne - Iron Druid Series

Books I wouldn't pollute a roaring fireplace with:

Jeff VanderMeer - Dead Astronauts

I am halfway through Wendig's Wanderers and enjoying it. I don't think he needed all the POVs but it's an opus and quite good. 

I LOVE Jeff vandermeer and have repeatedly picked up and put back down Dead Astronauts. I will read it, as I am a huge fan boi but it's a bit obtuse and I have read a lot of his stuff, including Borne and Strange Bird, which are in the same world as DA. I hope it picks up. Bit fart smelly.

On 4/2/2020 at 9:23 AM, Llogg said:

any neal stephenson fans? I'm near the end of Fall : Dodge in Hell. Read some harsh reviews but I kind of love it.

Seven Eves was just awesome. I blasted through that book.