Jump to content
skipperj

Time to visit Waco

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

So they have a $20m plan to develop an area rapid transit (I think they should call it WART) that would run from I think downtown to out in Hewitt where the mfg. jobs are.  It will run down Franklin and supposedly sink up with the lights so it could be a 15min trip. 

I believe that was supposed to start this year but my details are a little fuzzy. I'll see if I can find a link.

They need to focus on mobility and urban density now to stay ahead of population growth.  Especially with 35 being under construction for the next few years.

Ok my details were off.

Here's what I found

**************************

Meanwhile, Evilia said creating a bus rapid transit line remains a priority for local transportation leaders. AECOM Technical Services, under a contract with the city of Waco, conducted a $468,000 study that envisioned an east-west trunk line that followed Franklin Avenue. Four express buses would serve this backbone, while circulator buses would feed into it from up to 14 citywide stations. The system would eliminate the need to end and begin all routes at Waco Transit’s downtown hub.

The BRT was included in the 2040 transportation plan and was adopted as a goal last year by the MPO and Waco City Council.

“The consultant has finished the report, and it met all feasibility criteria. They came back with some really impressive numbers on reducing travel times on the system,” said Evilia. “The next phase, which Waco Transit has begun, involves the engineering and design phase, taking steps to get funding for the infrastructure and physical things needed to have such a system. This would be done with input from the Federal Transit Administration.”

 

That process could take another two years, Evilia said.

“Instead of taking an hour or longer to get across town, we might see 20-minute loops,” said Evilia. That time savings becomes critical, said Evilia, considering projections that job creation between now and 2045 will be heavily concentrated along West Loop 340, near Woodway and Hewitt, Texas Central Industrial Park, Providence Health Center, Hillcrest Scott & White Health Center Waco, Richland Mall and Central Texas Marketplace

Meanwhile, Evilia said creating a bus rapid transit line remains a priority for local transportation leaders. AECOM Technical Services, under a contract with the city of Waco, conducted a $468,000 study that envisioned an east-west trunk line that followed Franklin Avenue. Four express buses would serve this backbone, while circulator buses would feed into it from up to 14 citywide stations. The system would eliminate the need to end and begin all routes at Waco Transit’s downtown hub.

The BRT was included in the 2040 transportation plan and was adopted as a goal last year by the MPO and Waco City Council.

“The consultant has finished the report, and it met all feasibility criteria. They came back with some really impressive numbers on reducing travel times on the system,” said Evilia. “The next phase, which Waco Transit has begun, involves the engineering and design phase, taking steps to get funding for the infrastructure and physical things needed to have such a system. This would be done with input from the Federal Transit Administration.”

That process could take another two years, Evilia said.

“Instead of taking an hour or longer to get across town, we might see 20-minute loops,” said Evilia. That time savings becomes critical, said Evilia, considering projections that job creation between now and 2045 will be heavily concentrated along West Loop 340, near Woodway and Hewitt, Texas Central Industrial Park, Providence Health Center, Hillcrest Scott & White Health Center Waco, Richland Mall and Central Texas Marketplace.

.

Edited by Post Oak

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Post Oak said:

It will run down Franklin and supposedly sink up with the lights so it could be a 15min trip.

Chip and Joanna talk not going away. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

Chip and Joanna talk not going away. 

Farmhouse sink up

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The wife and I were talking about which restaurants we were gonna support during the lockdown.  We decided on 

Dubl R.  - Honestly if you can use the bathroom there you are probably immune. But I need my Dubl-Dubl with tots

Revival- they are doing to go family meals with that will free 4 for $30 plus we are gonna get a couple of Tshirts.  It's not my favorite place to eat but I really like the woman who opened it and think we should support her courage.  Check out her Instagram for the meals.  Think you have to order it a day ahead

Moroso - the pizza is great but doesn't travel well to go because it steams on the box and gets floppy.  So we'll order meals. Plus he had wine for 25%off

Jesse's Tortilla Factory - time to stock up on tortillas, tamales, chips, and salsa

Lula Janes

Hecho En Waco

900 Degrees Pizza

Sergio's food truck. Best Bacon Potato Egg and Cheese breakfast tacos I've ever eaten. And I've eaten 1000s of breakfast tacos

 

Anybody doing similar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Post Oak said:

Moroso - the pizza is great but doesn't travel well to go because it steams on the box and gets floppy. 

Specific to this, unless it's a really short drive and I'll be eating immediately, I always open the box of a takeout pizza and let it cool as quickly as possible. Prevents the steamed floppy crust, and you can reheat in an oven or on a hot pan on the stove and it's nearly the same as hot and fresh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Post Oak said:

The wife and I were talking about which restaurants we were gonna support during the lockdown.  We decided on 

Dubl R.  - Honestly if you can use the bathroom there you are probably immune. But I need my Dubl-Dubl with tots

Revival- they are doing to go family meals with that will free 4 for $30 plus we are gonna get a couple of Tshirts.  It's not my favorite place to eat but I really like the woman who opened it and think we should support her courage.  Check out her Instagram for the meals.  Think you have to order it a day ahead

Moroso - the pizza is great but doesn't travel well to go because it steams on the box and gets floppy.  So we'll order meals. Plus he had wine for 25%off

Jesse's Tortilla Factory - time to stock up on tortillas, tamales, chips, and salsa

Lula Janes

Hecho En Waco

900 Degrees Pizza

Sergio's food truck. Best Bacon Potato Egg and Cheese breakfast tacos I've ever eaten. And I've eaten 1000s of breakfast tacos

 

Anybody doing similar

We had Whizzbangs on Wed Night

A group of us had Barnett’s do a spread Monday with a whiskey bar/beer delivered.
 

Did a Sergio’s beef fajita burrito and picked up some Waco Ale Co.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Health Camp

Casa de Castillo

135 Prime

Jesse's

 

135 is gearing up to prepare a weekly meal for Meals on Wheels.

 

 

Probably try to pick up at Luigi's next week. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know if any of you fellow hell dwellers listen to the local ESPN sports talk radio affiliate 1660, but they apparently went thru a major divorce in the last week or so. David Smoak, his son Craig and one of the other guys left to join an "internet radio" station. Whole deal seemed weird.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Post Oak said:

I heard about that but I don't listen to them much.

Their programming has been my background noise for years. I guess it was around 2010 or so when David Smoak came to town from East Texas and he did up the quality of the broadcasting a good bit. Just seems like a weird deal, to leave an ESPN affiliate to go to work for a Baylor-centric internet radio startup. I guess there may be more to the story. Baylor has used 1660 as their "flagship" station for most of my life. If the university is behind all of this then it would make some sense but outside of that I can't understand it. The AD at Baylor, Mack Rhoades, has been pretty progressive in his approach to utilizing the internet to further the school's branding efforts. They, with considerable derision from the olds, "broadcast" one of the OOC football games on Facebook. Maybe they're just ahead of the curve here but somehow I doubt it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, El Diablo said:

Their programming has been my background noise for years. I guess it was around 2010 or so when David Smoak came to town from East Texas and he did up the quality of the broadcasting a good bit. Just seems like a weird deal, to leave an ESPN affiliate to go to work for a Baylor-centric internet radio startup. I guess there may be more to the story. Baylor has used 1660 as their "flagship" station for most of my life. If the university is behind all of this then it would make some sense but outside of that I can't understand it. The AD at Baylor, Mack Rhoades, has been pretty progressive in his approach to utilizing the internet to further the school's branding efforts. They, with considerable derision from the olds, "broadcast" one of the OOC football games on Facebook. Maybe they're just ahead of the curve here but somehow I doubt it.

Man I hope they bring back Butch & Tom. More naner puddin' talk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kyle said:

Man I hope they bring back Butch & Tom. More naner puddin' talk.

Butch is still around I think, seems like he moved to one of the earlier hours and maybe paired with one of the other guys. They have a couple of smaller market stations they broadcast on and I think that's where they are.

Barfield is sitting in a custom kayak on the Brazos hoping to feed the beaver.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

Butch is still around I think, seems like he moved to one of the earlier hours and maybe paired with one of the other guys. They have a couple of smaller market stations they broadcast on and I think that's where they are.

Barfield is sitting in a custom kayak on the Brazos hoping to feed the beaver.

I feel like I should understand your Tom comment, but I honestly don't ... he selling boats?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MILO...Corey’s a good dude and we’re doing what we can.

Revival

Martha’s on 19th...best Mexican in town

Moroso’s

and a few others as we think of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

MILO...Corey’s a good dude and we’re doing what we can.

Revival

Martha’s on 19th...best Mexican in town

Moroso’s

and a few others as we think of them.

We’ll probably do Moroso sometime this week.    Shit is gonna get ugly everywhere in a few weeks.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/12/2020 at 3:57 PM, El Diablo said:

My cousin owns a home in a neighborhood where some Magnolians have a house. The neighbors are all pissed that their tax valuations went up, lol.

Read this as Mongolians at first. Considering we're talking fucking Waco, it makes sense either way but I think more so with Mongolians.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Chopper said:

Read this as Mongolians at first. Considering we're talking fucking Waco, it makes sense either way but I think more so with Mongolians.

Please don't put any ideas into Joanna Gaines' head or we'll all be living next door to a yurt in the near future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, El Diablo said:

Please don't put any ideas into Joanna Gaines' head or we'll all be living next door to a yurt in the near future.

This shit lasts much longer and a lot of people will be living in yurts

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


mpu


Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion
×
×
  • Create New...