Bernie Sanders 2020 Watch

Dropout

5 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

so are you saying it's imaginary, or are you saying that only the very-online people are aware of it, which actually represents a small amount of people in real life?

You have absolutely busted me regarding "not real life" as being metaphorical and not 100% literal. #b_tDestroyed

My response to him was, "People fight online and get their feelings hurt."

He laughed and asked if there was any violence or anything. I said no. He said, "Oh, OK" and then was extremely polite as my few attempts to persuade him failed. (I tried "FUCK YOU SHITLIB" which didn't work. Then I said "PETE IS CIA!" and that didn't work. Screaming "PETE ISN'T A REAL GAY!" had his interest briefly but ultimately was unpersuasive.)

4 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

You have absolutely busted me regarding "not real life" as being metaphorical and not 100% literal. #b_tDestroyed

My response to him was, "People fight online and get their feelings hurt."

He laughed and asked if there was any violence or anything. I said no. He said, "Oh, OK" and then was extremely polite as my few attempts to persuade him failed. (I tried "FUCK YOU SHITLIB" which didn't work. Then I said "PETE IS CIA!" and that didn't work. Screaming "PETE ISN'T A REAL GAY!" had his interest briefly but ultimately was unpersuasive.)

well this amount of hostility was certainly warranted, way to break that stereotype.

i was actually asking, because i wasn't sure what your point was.  if it was the second thing i mentioned, then i agree, and think it's been blown out of proportion, which is something someone like you would've seen/heard firsthand, since you were on the phone with actual people.

Brisket and others demean and deride those who fight for unpopular values and take on lonely battles and risk isolation by taking bold stands, but it is those people who move what is possible. It is people like Bernie Sanders who blaze the trails that more timid and compromising politicians follow meekly behind along.

4 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Brisket and others demean and deride those who fight for unpopular values and take on lonely battles and risk isolation by taking bold stands, but it is those people who move what is possible. It is people like Bernie Sanders who blaze the trails that more timid and compromising politicians follow meekly behind along.

The neverbernie bros do not want change. They punch down at those most vulnerable in the United States.

And they do not care about economic policy. They are know-nothings and proud of it. 

Science - they are fact averse.

https://www.epi.org/publication/medicare-for-all-would-help-the-labor-market/

"Fundamental health reform like “Medicare for All” would be a hugely ambitious policy undertaking with profound effects on the economy and the economic security of households in America. But despite oft-repeated claims of large-scale job losses, a national program that would guarantee health insurance for every American would not profoundly affect the total number of jobs in the U.S. economy. In fact, such reform could boost wages and jobs and lead to more efficient labor markets that better match jobs and workers. Specifically, it could:

• Boost wages and salaries by allowing employers to redirect money they are spending on health care costs to their workers’ wages.
  • Increase job quality by ensuring that every job now comes bundled with a guarantee of health care—with the boost to job quality even greater among women workers, who are less likely to have employer-sponsored health care.
  • Lessen the stress and economic shock of losing a job or moving between jobs by eliminating the loss of health care that now accompanies job losses and transitions.
  • Support self-employment and small business development—which is currently super low in the U.S. relative to other rich countries—by eliminating the daunting loss of/cost of health care from startup costs.
  • Inject new dynamism and adaptability into the overall economy by reducing “job lock”—with workers going where their skills and preferences best fit the job, not just to workplaces (usually large ones) that have affordable health plans.
  • Produce a net increase in jobs as public spending boosts aggregate demand, with job losses in health insurance and billing administration being outweighed by job gains in provision of health care, including the expansion of long-term care."

• Like 2

1 hour ago, washparkhorn said:

Sanders and Biden need Secret Service protection - now. 

they should already have it.

high-profile candidates have been getting protection details since bobby kennedy.

(i have a side project going about the history of the secret service and have way too much useless shit about it on the brain)

22 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

How?

To me, that last line seems like inauthentic pandering.  At a time where Bernie desperately needs to expand his support, do you see a statement like this doing anything other than a) increasing the "us against the world" feeling among his already volatile online supporters and b) alienating the thousands of African American voters who made a stand on who they support over the last week?  Good on Bernie for sticking up for Nina, but dragging Joe into a twitter battle just seems like something a politician like Matt Gaetz would do.

Obviously, all just my opinion.  But the comments on that tweet are either "YAAASSS KIIINGGGGG" or "okay now do your supporters."  Just solidifying that line in the sand.

Edited by Chuckie Finster

6 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

To me, that last line seems like inauthentic pandering.  At a time where Bernie desperately needs to expand his support, do you see a statement like this doing anything other than a) increasing the "us against the world" feeling among his already volatile online supporters and b) alienating the thousands of African American voters who made a stand on who they support over the last week? 

Why would this alienate black voters?

Good on Bernie for sticking up for Nina, but dragging Joe into a twitter battle just seems like something a politician like Matt Gaetz would do.

I'm sure Bernie would be fine with Joe apologizing on television or in a newspaper.

If the new standard is that candidates themselves are responsible for their supporters, then I'm very happy to see Bernie taking the fight to his opponents who have been hammering at him. It's been one-sided because Bernie is too nice and too policy-focused to engage with this dumb shit, but it's time to throw punches and I like this one.

38 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

they should already have it.

high-profile candidates have been getting protection details since bobby kennedy.

(i have a side project going about the history of the secret service and have way too much useless shit about it on the brain)

They don't yet. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/its-clear-that-biden-and-sanders-need-secret-service-protection/2020/03/04/f59f9c24-5e5a-11ea-b014-4fafa866bb81_story.html

White Fragility

White people in North America live in a social environment that protects and insulates them from race-based stress. This insulated environment of racial protection builds white expectations for racial comfort while at the same time lowering the ability to tolerate racial stress, leading to what I refer to as White Fragility. White Fragility is a state in which even a minimum amount of racial stress becomes intolerable, triggering a range of defensive moves. These moves include the outward display of emotions such as anger, fear, and guilt, and behaviors such as argumentation, silence, and leaving the stress-inducing situation. These behaviors, in turn, function to reinstate white racial equilibrium.

This is what Nina stirs up in white liberals.

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

Thank you BT and Wash for all of your recent posts. It’s been a tremendous reminder that I and many other moderate voters want nothing to do with your craziness.

Sweet dude. MLK said the path to progress would always be blocked by - moderates. Dr. King is an American hero!

Edited by washparkhorn
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Thank you BT and Wash for all of your recent posts. It’s been a tremendous reminder that I and many other moderate voters want nothing to do with your craziness.

It’s astonishing to me, that people think Sanders is anything more than a troll. In his nearly four decades he has accomplished exactly none of the things he has ever talked about. He takes pride in taking the most extreme view that shows he is either delusional or extremely unintelligent (perhaps there is some overlap). If he has a choice between saying something that is sensible and likely to build a coalition of support versus the most radical, insane thing you have ever heard he always chooses the latter. It’s like he runs for president and while building his platform he is in a room with his friends drinking beer and taking dares on if he will take the most absurd position possible. His failure to win over larger states that are not chalked full of looms is as surprising as seeing Charlie Strong fail at South Florida. 

Biden is going to curb stomp this guy now. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

Bernie is going to leave it all out on the field.

Meanwhile, Biden spoke for SEVEN MINUTES at his St. Louis rally today.

You do realize the more that loon talks and people learn about him, the worse it is for him? From a distance he’s an outsider willing to speak against the establishment. Up close it’s a cranky old man who has no idea what the fuck he is talking about. 

22 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

You do realize the more that loon talks and people learn about him, the worse it is for him? From a distance he’s an outsider willing to speak against the establishment. Up close it’s a cranky old man who has no idea what the fuck he is talking about. 

Go on. Why do you say he "has no idea what the fuck he is talking about"?  I am all ears. Thanks!

4 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Selectively edited videos, month old polls, all we need now is to get y’all some red hats to complete the trifecta.

Good to have a reminder of what it looked like when Biden wasn't being artificially propped up by incessant fawning media. He's going to run out of endorsements and there will be a reversion to the mean at some point. Not saying Bernie has a good chance, but it's worth thinking about Biden's strengths over time.

As for selectively-edited videos, what are you talking about?

Good to have a reminder of what it looked like when Biden wasn't being artificially propped up by incessant fawning media. He's going to run out of endorsements and there will be a reversion to the mean at some point. Not saying Bernie has a good chance, but it's worth thinking about Biden's strengths over time.
As for selectively-edited videos, what are you talking about?

The one that every single BernieBro on Twitter was losing their minds over yesterday.

https://mobile.twitter.com/billscher/status/1236506788129910785

4 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

The one that every single BernieBro on Twitter was losing their minds over yesterday.

https://mobile.twitter.com/billscher/status/1236506788129910785

The longer version makes it even worse. 

If he is going to be the nominee and have any chance against Trump - he will need to improve quickly or we are toast. As repeated over and over this cycle, electability for the centrists was the main issue. He is not electable at this point and his own speeches prove it. It's not a stutter. I saw his debate against Paul Ryan and he crushed him. This is not the same Fightin' Biden. If Job One is to beat Trump, today's Biden does not get us there. 

I watched loved ones descend down this path {if it is "cognitive decline").  It does not get better. It is sad beyond words.

But there are many people in America whose actual lives depend on the outcome of election. I know the centrists want to protect what is theirs, but try to consider the less fortunate who actually bear the hell of another four years of Trump. Some of them will not survive. Please consider them. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, washparkhorn said:

Go on. Why do you say he "has no idea what the fuck he is talking about"?  I am all ears. Thanks!

“I just cannot understand how a car or home loan can have lower interest rates than a student loan.” 

An exact quote from yesterday. He is, honestly not a very smart person. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

“I just cannot understand how a car or home loan can have lower interest rates than a student loan.” 

That's not really a fair assessment.  Granted, an education can't be repossessed, but given the fact that plenty of Americans think a college education should be free or at least much more affordable, then it's not at all disingenuous to think that part of that solution could be a cap on student loan rates lower than where it is now.

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

I know you are a smart person, but you do understand "student loans" changed dramatically in 2010, correct? And you understand student loans are rarely dischargeable in bankruptcy? And you understand who is responsible for making them loans v. grants? 

So tell me why anything more than nominal interest is charged at all on student "loans" by the Federal Government?

26 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Plenty of Americans think a lot of things should be free, but that’s not how pricing works.

Student loans are loans to 18 year olds with no assets to foreclose on and no guarantee of them even finishing college or having any kind of income stream for years (or ever).   It’s much riskier for the lender than a mortgage or car loan. 

I don't think you understand federal student loans - especially after the 2007-08 Great Financial Crisis. There is no "lender" making a credit risk assessment. Everyone pays the same rate. This is not a market. Market forces do not apply.