Jump to content
Sbbruin

All encompassing PAC 12 thread

Recommended Posts

Well 

6 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Always one of my favs

giphy.gif

And the vid

 

Haha, let's hope I don't go overboard, I look forward to seeing the Sooners & Bruins in action from one of the most iconic locations in all of America..! ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like every indication is that Speight is going to get the start for UCLA.  I just don't think Kelly is ready to throw DTR to wolves out of the gate.  But I also think he doesn't hesitate to burn his RS if he thinks he's ready at some point this season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most frivolous and inconsequential contribution to the thread:  was listening to the Athlon Cover 2 podcast and they made the argument that the PAC 12 is the most aesthetically pleasing conference based on a variety of factors including style of play, cities, stadiums, uniforms and the like.  I tend to agree.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, mdleast said:

Most frivolous and inconsequential contribution to the thread:  was listening to the Athlon Cover 2 podcast and they made the argument that the PAC 12 is the most aesthetically pleasing conference based on a variety of factors including style of play, cities, stadiums, uniforms and the like.  I tend to agree.

Well, the PAC has to rank #1 at somethin' pertaining to football at the start of the season, right..?

A lot of built in advantages for the members of the conference if & when the coaches get things in order...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, kopp0e said:

Just a few days until the Huskies take on War Eagle..!

 

I mean, it is more than 600 miles from Seattle to Atlanta.  More than 2,600 even.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, miguelito said:

I mean, it is more than 600 miles from Seattle to Atlanta.  More than 2,600 even.

The irony: Environmentalist heading to the game leaving such a large carbon footprint... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/10/2018 at 8:47 PM, ButtFumble said:

Christobal looks like he could really get things going at Oregon I was surprised by the hire, but he is a real momentum type of coach if he can get things on a roll then he could do well

I am really surprised by how well he is recruiting right now and pretty surprised about how bad some Pac 12 teams seem to be recruiting

I think USC might be ready for another "your taxi is over there" runway incident and Utah seems to be off to a really slow recruiting start.....no surprise where WSU is mike is reaching full self destruct mode and I think Stanford is on a possible glide path to 5 or 6 win seasons

Cal is having a pretty decent recruiting season so far (for Cal qualifier) and UW seems to be off, but their coach can coach so that helps

Colorado is having a pretty good year and AU and ASU seem to be in "wait until next year" mode to see what Herm and Rummy do....I am surprised Rummy is not recruiting a little better so far because recruiting was never an issue for him at aggy and lets face it aggy or AU for people choosing a school to play sport and fuck chicks 

Oregon State needs help bad

Oregon is the easiest recruiting sell in the Pac 12, except maybe SC. No surprise at all that the Ducks are doing well. As for the team, Justin Herbert is the best QB in the conference, aside from possibly...

Kahlil Tate is the real deal. If Sumlin can field a decent defense then Zona will be scary good and recruiting will work itself out.

Cal has only one WR commit so far. That's not good for a position of need, but it's early. OTOH, the team seems to be loading up on TEs after going several years without any.

I'm not buying the CU hype, yet. 

It is odd that Stanford has apparently become the team with the one phenom player (McCaffery then, now Love) followed by everyone else. They used to have several standouts at a time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My week 1 Pac predictions (ATS):
Oregon -28.5 vs. Bowling Green

Colorado -6 v CSU- CU

Stanford -14  v SDSU- Stanford

Oregon State +38 at Ohio State- Ohio St
Arizona -14.5 vs BYU- BYU
Arizona State -17.5 vs. UT-San Antonio- ASU
USC -27 vs. UNLV- SC
UCLA -15.5 vs. Cincinnati- UCLA
Washington +3.5 vs. Auburn (neutral site in Atlanta)- UW
Cal -6 vs. North Carolina- Cal
Washington State -4 at Wyoming- WSU

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SC names true FR JT Daniels the starter for game 1 (he is the son of one of my wife's close HS friends- who was hot but later turned into a bit of a trainwreck. /csb).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

SC names true FR JT Daniels the starter for game 1 (he is the son of one of my wife's close HS friends- who was hot but later turned into a bit of a trainwreck. /csb).

Pics, you fuck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, berlinerbaer said:

It is odd that Stanford has apparently become the team with the one phenom player (McCaffery then, now Love) followed by everyone else. They used to have several standouts at a time.

Their defense is not going to be good.  But they have a few standouts on offense.

Love, Arcega-Whiteside (WR), Parkinson/Kaden Smith (TE), Little (T), Herbig (G)

QB is a baller coming into his second season. 

Stanford's offense is loaded.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I posted in the Soso thread.  No one is too devastating, but makes us thin.  Asiasi and Tagaloa are for 3 games and Soso for 2.  All others 1 game.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Machinator said:

 

Story now on USAToday:

Quote

Santino Marchiol dismissed by Arizona after video with racist term ...

4 hours ago - Santino Marchiol dismissed by Arizona after video appears to show him using racist term. ... Arizona dismissed linebacker Santino Marchiol from the program Monday, coach Kevin Sumlin announced, after a video surfaced over the weekend in which he twice appeared to refer to former Texas ...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/27/2018 at 9:05 AM, Sbbruin said:

My week 1 Pac predictions (ATS):
Oregon -28.5 vs. Bowling Green

Colorado -6 v CSU- CU

Stanford -14  v SDSU- Stanford

Oregon State +38 at Ohio State- Ohio St
Arizona -14.5 vs BYU- BYU
Arizona State -17.5 vs. UT-San Antonio- ASU
USC -27 vs. UNLV- SC
UCLA -15.5 vs. Cincinnati- UCLA
Washington +3.5 vs. Auburn (neutral site in Atlanta)- UW
Cal -6 vs. North Carolina- Cal
Washington State -4 at Wyoming- WSU

Sleeping on my Aztecs, huh?  That's a dangerous game to play. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

Sleeping on my Aztecs, huh?  That's a dangerous game to play. 

We have a home and home with the Aztecs in 19 and 20

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gil Bang said:

Aztecs have Stanford and Ariz. State this year.  They LOVE to schedule Pac teams. 

Seeing them beat Stanford last year was glorious. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, kopp0e said:

Huskies expected to earn a spot in the CFP:

 

A very likely scenario, except I’m taking Wisky instead of Penn State.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

Aztecs have Stanford and Ariz. State this year.  They LOVE to schedule Pac teams. 

Come tailgate with us Gil Sept 15

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Upgrayedd said:

Come tailgate with us Gil Sept 15

I would LOVE to but I can't.  Thanks for the invite. I'm headed to Italy on Monday. Going Miami-Milan, and doing Rome-JFK on the 14th.  Staying there in New York for a few days and won't be back home until 16th or 17th.

Really appreciate the invite, and I hate to miss a good tailgate.  I hope it's a great game.  The Murph is a fun tailgate.  I don't get crazy for SDSU games as much, but we had a blast at the old hornfans Holiday Bowl tailgates. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

I would LOVE to but I can't.  Thanks for the invite. I'm headed to Italy on Monday. Going Miami-Milan, and doing Rome-JFK on the 14th.  Staying there in New York for a few days and won't be back home until 16th or 17th.

Really appreciate the invite, and I hate to miss a good tailgate.  I hope it's a great game.  The Murph is a fun tailgate.  I don't get crazy for SDSU games as much, but we had a blast at the old hornfans Holiday Bowl tailgates. 

Better plans for sure.  

Hey- leave the key under the mat would ya?  I'm staying at my brother's in La Jolla, but could always use a spare place in case I get lucky (the Avatar isn't going).

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pfft.  Like it's not that way already.

Trying to post some content from an article in the San Jose Mercury News on the expansion from Pac-8 to Pac-10.  Told from the first-person perspective of John Sandbrook who was the assistant to then UCLA chancellor Charles Young.  Interesting read.  AU was the original school that wanted in.  ASU needed to come with.  Good background on the politics and finances of the Pac at the time and how two schools (looking at you UW and Tree) looked to thwart the movement until someone threatened to blow the whole conference up.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/08/29/40-years-ago-the-arizona-schools-joined-the-pac-8-an-insiders-account-of-the-process-that-nearly-destroyed-the-conference/

Somehow Mercury News thinks I'm at my article quota, even though this was the only article I read.  Clowns.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For those that don't want to up for the whole 99 cents, there's a short recap on this topic here:

 

 

Quote

 

Let's Celebrate the 40th Anniversary of Arizona and ASU Joining the Pac-12

POSTED BY CHRISTOPHER BOAN ON WED, AUG 29, 2018 AT 4:43 PM

The Pac-12 Conference added Arizona and ASU 40 years ago.

 
This year marks the 40th anniversary of the then-Pac-8 adding two vagabond programs, Arizona and Arizona State, to its conference. 

https://www.tucsonweekly.com/TheRange/archives/2018/08/29/lets-celebrate-the-40th-anniversary-of-arizona-and-asu-joining-the-pac-12

 

 

Edited by kopp0e

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Upgrayedd said:

Pfft.  Like it's not that way already.

Trying to post some content from an article in the San Jose Mercury News on the expansion from Pac-8 to Pac-10.  Told from the first-person perspective of John Sandbrook who was the assistant to then UCLA chancellor Charles Young.  Interesting read.  AU was the original school that wanted in.  ASU needed to come with.  Good background on the politics and finances of the Pac at the time and how two schools (looking at you UW and Tree) looked to thwart the movement until someone threatened to blow the whole conference up.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/08/29/40-years-ago-the-arizona-schools-joined-the-pac-8-an-insiders-account-of-the-process-that-nearly-destroyed-the-conference/

Somehow Mercury News thinks I'm at my article quota, even though this was the only article I read.  Clowns.

This is pretty excellent. 

In hindsight, adding AZ and ASU has been a great decision -- they're both better schools than OSU or WSU and there is sooooooooo much money in Phoenix. 

And it's comical to read that ASU was reluctant to join the Pac because their football team was doing so well in the WAC. 

But this:

Quote

Young then told us that Hubbard had stated, loudly, that if Washington and Stanford voted ‘no’ on the proposal, then USC would announce to the assembled press downstairs that, instead of the Pac-8 expanding with an invitation to UA and ASU, USC was instead providing public notice that it would be withdrawing immediately as a member of the Pac-8. Young told J.D., Doug, and I that everyone had turned white in the meeting room and a recess was called.

Young turned to the three of us and asked “What should we do, if Jack does this?” And I remember that J.D. replied without a moment’s hesitation, “Chuck, you will stand next to Jack Hubbard and say that UCLA is joining USC in withdrawing from the Pac-8 also.”

That's just not a credible threat.  I can't believe that swung the vote.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, berlinerbaer said:

Nice to see realignment talk not going away.

If we are talking chick realignment not going away, maybe... Here is the sights of Arizona:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/29/2018 at 7:29 PM, Gil Bang said:

Sleeping on my Aztecs, huh?  That's a dangerous game to play. 

Those guys sucked.

My rankings after week one. 

USC

California A&M/Westwood

Washington

Utah

Stanford

Washington State

Oregon

Arizona State

Colorado

Arizona

Oregon State

The Berkeley Academy

 

I actually didn't see shit.  This is mostly intuition but mainly an attempt to limit kopp0e replies.

 

 
     
                     
                     
                     
                     
                     
                     
                     
                     
                     
                     
                     
                     
                     
   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/27/2018 at 9:05 AM, Sbbruin said:

My week 1 Pac predictions (ATS):
Oregon -28.5 vs. Bowling Green

Colorado -6 v CSU- CU

Stanford -14  v SDSU- Stanford

Oregon State +38 at Ohio State- Ohio St
Arizona -14.5 vs BYU- BYU
Arizona State -17.5 vs. UT-San Antonio- ASU
USC -27 vs. UNLV- SC
UCLA -15.5 vs. Cincinnati- UCLA
Washington +3.5 vs. Auburn (neutral site in Atlanta)- UW
Cal -6 vs. North Carolina- Cal
Washington State -4 at Wyoming- WSU

Wazzu saved my betting weekend after UW and Texas shit the bed...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Cincy game was arguably the easiest game on our schedule.  I am massively deflated.  I’m going sailing and forgetting about college football today.  At least the Dodgers have caught the Snakes for first.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

The Cincy game was arguably the easiest game on our schedule.  I am massively deflated.  I’m going sailing and forgetting about college football today.  At least the Dodgers have caught the Snakes for first.

Always thought that the best thing about he Pac12 is that if your team sucks, you can more quickly put it into perspective (sailing, Pacific Ocean, mountains) than you can in other conferences. (Lake Texoma).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

Always thought that the best thing about he Pac12 is that if your team sucks, you can more quickly put it into perspective (sailing, Pacific Ocean, mountains) than you can in other conferences. (Lake Texoma).

Yep. When I was in Boulder and the Buffs sucked, life was still amazing with the mountains right outside my door.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

The Cincy game was arguably the easiest game on our schedule.  I am massively deflated.  I’m going sailing and forgetting about college football today.  At least the Dodgers have caught the Snakes for first.

I watched Maryland depants Texas.  Then I watched Auburn manhandle UDub.  And then I watched Archie Bradley give up a game-winning bomb to Matt Kemp.

Yesterday was not one of the better days in my life.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


mpu


Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion
×
×
  • Create New...