Tell me about New York City

23 hours ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Hey @PenelopeWitherspoon when Broadway reopens and we resume our monthly theater weekend trips, let’s get a drink together. 

Sounds like a plan.

I think we will start seeing Broadway open up perhaps after summer.  The Music Man with Hugh Jackman is slated to go into previews in December (that is the ONE show I am absolutely going to go see).

Also, last night at Katana Kitten, that felt more like pre-COVID times and it was very, very nice.  That is a great bar.

37 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Sounds like a plan.

I think we will start seeing Broadway open up perhaps after summer.  The Music Man with Hugh Jackman is slated to go into previews in December (that is the ONE show I am absolutely going to go see).

Also, last night at Katana Kitten, that felt more like pre-COVID times and it was very, very nice.  That is a great bar.

Some off Broadway will open late summer but I think the grand reopening will be in October. 

We have MM tickets - only ones they didn’t cancel. We have lost 17 shows to date with the closure ... 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Some off Broadway will open late summer but I think the grand reopening will be in October. 

We have MM tickets - only ones they didn’t cancel. We have lost 17 shows to date with the closure ... 

We are scheduled for one of the touring shows here in September, which is a good sign for Broadway. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/14/2021 at 11:00 PM, The Ace of Aces said:

Yeah, I am not super hopeful on being able to get good tickets for reasonable.  If I go by myself, yeah, probably can do.  I have found the best of luck when trying to snag one ticket.  Two, forget about it.  

Just now, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Yeah, I am not super hopeful on being able to get good tickets for reasonable.  If I go by myself, yeah, probably can do.  I have found the best of luck when trying to snag one ticket.  Two, forget about it.  

For hot shows, we have done the buy one ticket each and sit apart. I don’t mind to all, it saves money, and you get better seats. 

Spring starting to come back out in the city.  It started week before last, and then it got cold again, so the normal false Spring which raises everyone's hopes.

So starting to get out more.  I am doing a write up on our dinner at King (And my subsequent visit for the "Raclette Window" on the weekend.  

Over the next few weeks, have lots of things planned.  Also, last Sunday, we went up on top of the Edge.  The views, stunning.  The massive queue to get in, not so much.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

For hot shows, we have done the buy one ticket each and sit apart. I don’t mind to all, it saves money, and you get better seats. 

Yeah, I did that with Hamilton when it was first getting all the hot buzz in August 2015.  I paid $187 for my ticket, sat center about 5-7 rows back, and that was original cast.  Makes it hard to think to spend more than that to see replacements in worse seats.  

Edited by PenelopeWitherspoon

11 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Yeah, I did that with Hamilton when it was first getting all the hot buzz in August 2015.  I paid $187 for my ticket, sat center about 5-7 rows back, and that was original cast.  Makes it hard to think to spend more than that to see replacements in worse seats.  

We saw Hamilton at the Public but did the single seat thing a few weeks after it opened on Broadway - saved a metric ton of money  lol.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I am actually surprised more of the Surly NYC denizens are not chiming in here. 

Hell, maybe in the summer when COVID is a bit more in the rear view mirror, we could have a Surly NYC HH.  I suggest Katana Kitten simply on the music they play there.  Fucking awesome.

You are by far the best Chamber of Commerce I have ever seen. And I mean that as a compliment. You have posted some really neat stuff.

On 3/20/2021 at 12:50 PM, The Ace of Aces said:

We saw Hamilton at the Public but did the single seat thing a few weeks after it opened on Broadway - saved a metric ton of money  lol.

Total random factoid, did you know the Public Theater is housed in the Astor Library, which through mergers became the New York Public Library?  Once the Library moved, this building eventually fell into disuse and the Public Theater (then known as the New York Shakespeare Festival) bought the building in 1965 (also when it was designated as a landmark).

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/20/2021 at 1:41 PM, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I am actually surprised more of the Surly NYC denizens are not chiming in here. 

Hell, maybe in the summer when COVID is a bit more in the rear view mirror, we could have a Surly NYC HH.  I suggest Katana Kitten simply on the music they play there.  Fucking awesome.

Katana is right around the corner from my apartment; love that place. We haven't done much of note recently. Mostly have stuck to the usual places in and around the West Village. I'm sure we'll branch out as the weather warms and outdoor seating becomes more tolerable. 

7 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Katana is right around the corner from my apartment; love that place. We haven't done much of note recently. Mostly have stuck to the usual places in and around the West Village. I'm sure we'll branch out as the weather warms and outdoor seating becomes more tolerable. 

I long to live in the West Village.  Alas, I need a larger apartment formy two pups and all my stuff, so UES/Sutton Place it is.  Plus, two good dog parks and Central Park all really close.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I long to live in the West Village.  Alas, I need a larger apartment formy two pups and all my stuff, so UES/Sutton Place it is.  Plus, two good dog parks and Central Park all really close.

What about 59th & 5th?  Could we make that work?  

On 3/26/2021 at 5:03 PM, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Welp, The Nomad Hotel is closing indefinitely for renovations. Last day of service at the restaurant is March 28. Last day of service at the hotel is April 2.

We had a great meal there on Christmas Day (on the rooftop).

This makes me sad. Seeing if I can in for Brunch or Dinner on Saturday.

That seems like ... poor planning and timing.  But given the tire firefire of its management I kinda doubt the hotel reopens. 

Edited by The Ace of Aces
  • Hook 'Em 1

not csb/

I was about to be seated at Via Carota on Monday night, and David Byrne walked up and asked me where he could put his name in. He then asks the host for a table.

Host: “Is your entire party here?”

DB: “2 of 3”

Host: “Get back to me when your entire party is here.”

Really made me chuckle to see David Byrne chilling in front of Marie’s Crisis waiting to eat at Via like the rest of us normals.

• Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

not csb/

I was about to be seated at Via Carota on Monday night, and David Byrne walked up and asked me where he could put his name in. He then asks the host for a table.

Host: “Is your entire party here?”

DB: “2 of 3”

Host: “Get back to me when your entire party is here.”

Really made me chuckle to see David Byrne chilling in front of Marie’s Crisis waiting to eat at Via like the rest of us normals.

Thanks for the invite.  

I was at King a few weekends ago (March 13) doing the Raclette window for a late lunch before hitting up an afternoon/night of drinking at Katana Kitten, and Patti Smith walked by.  She lives near there.  She has not aged well.

This weekend, plans are still up in the air, but I have Sunrise access at the Empire State Building. Figured it would be worth it to go up at 6 with only 40 others and get some good sunrise shots.  Have Easter lunch planned at Olmsted.  

Next weekend, my underwater spin studio reopens, so I am trying to take a class Friday afternoon, then go to King for dinner after.  Then Saturday, have a late lunch at Frenchette planned (so glad they are back!).

There are a ton of exhibits at the Met I want to see, so I need a museum day soon. Also want to go to a number of others soon.  Will pick days when the weather is yucky.

On 4/4/2021 at 2:04 PM, midtown said:

What's the current tourism status? I haven't kept up with what's open. Regulations. Etc

So, most the big restaurants are opened, and those that are not will be opening sometime soon (EMP is one of the biggest ones still yet to open, but it has plans to later this year...assume it is waiting until more vaccinations are completed).  I am not sure if Le CouCou or Veronika are opened as of yet either.  Both are Starr restaurants.  Museums are half and half.  The major art museums are open with timed entry and reduced capcity, but all Smithsonian museums are still closed.   Other smaller museums are still closed as well. 

Broadway is closed, but set to open in September as of now.  Most other attractions are open with timed entry and capacity limits. 

I believe sports venues are opening up as are live performances (other than broadway), but with capacity restrictions and possibly requirement of proof of vaccine.

As far as I am aware, all travel requirements to NY State have been rescinded with the exception of having to fill out a health form if you are arriving from a state outside of PA, NJ, CT, MA, or VT (i.e. New York's contiguous states).

• 3 weeks later...

Well, NYC is going to be fucking lit this summer.  

Decriminalization of prostitution

Legalization of weed

Gambling (Not so fast, but I believe there is a proposal on the table in Albany)

Oh, and deBlas just announced a 30M campaign (most NYC has EVER spent) to try and get tourists back in the city.  

God help us all.

On another note, have a lot of write-ups of stuff I have done over the last month or two, but not gotten them out yet.  Had a big deadline and worked 70 hours last week trying to get it out.  Accomplished by 4PM on Friday, so yay!

In one of those “if I could do it all over again but end up in the same place today” scenarios, I would’ve moved to NYC after graduating to law school and worked there a couple years before coming back to Austin. Really love that town. Haven’t been since December 2016 and can’t wait to get back.

2 hours ago, South Austin said:

In one of those “if I could do it all over again but end up in the same place today” scenarios, I would’ve moved to NYC after graduating to law school and worked there a couple years before coming back to Austin. Really love that town. Haven’t been since December 2016 and can’t wait to get back.

That’s exactly what I told my wife we would do when I convinced her to move here 7 years ago. Now I can’t get her to even consider leaving...

But I will admit to having some envy when I see my law school classmates post photos from their ridiculous backyards with pools and what not. 

1 hour ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Central Park was packed yesterday. It is going to be a good summer, I think.

Same at Washington Square Park. Finished off the day with dinner at Little Owl, smoking a joint on Grove Street, and a cognac night cap at Buvette. Hard to believe what an absolute shell of a city it was this time last year.  Agree it’s going to be a great summer.

• Hook 'Em 1