Patricio Swayze

The "Post a Picture You Took" thread

One trick pony with a drone is back. My wife is now a day past her due date, so not sure I’m gonna be able to get those sweet Saharan dust sunset pics, so you get this instead....

50045066938_278c65c815_b.jpg

I'm hoping that SOMEONE can make good use of this impending dust storm! 

Sad news for me, the equestrian place that I was planning on playing in this weekend has new more restrictive attendance policies going into effect. NO SPECTATORS. I'm still thinking that maybe I'll fill out one of their releases/indemnification forms and just show up and announce myself as the photographer and see if I can get in that way. Would be nice to have the place to myself. Sigh. Probably won't though. Furk. I had all my gear out last night and did all my pre-checks and packed my bags. Oh well, that cemetery photo has me thinking I could just head down to Fort Fisher or perhaps even Oakwood cemetery. There's a lot of pretty famous Texans buried there. Once upon a time I snapped a picture there of W.C. Brann's marker, the one with the bullet pock mark in it. Sadly the bust of Brann that sat on top of the grave has since been stolen, most likely by some Baylor frat fucks. Anyway, plans are a changing. 

On 6/24/2020 at 9:19 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

I've about had it with these damn Mississippi Kites.  I just can't seem to get a shot of them that I like.  I was stoked about the Barred Owl. 

50041489138_491604a763_o.jpg

50042044151_1376470b82_o.jpg

50042317417_cf7107f0a3_o.jpg

50041470198_2f26a12c1b_o.jpg

I take a lot of pictures of birds and kites are among the hardest ones to catch in fight.  They're really fast and change directions erratically without warning.  It's much easier if you can find them perched like that.  Swallows are the same way but probably worse.

Nice barred owl.  I got this one alongside a CR on the way to my parents' place.

P4191313.JPG

WBT, that is a great owl shot.  Coloring of the feathers is much nicer than the one I captured.  You need to post more to this thread.

A few from the last couple of days.  Some not as sharp as I like.

50048056043_b45df12248_o.jpg

50048616661_bf78f8c871_o.jpg

50048871192_42ef3e33d4_o.jpg

Was messing around with that little $150 70-300 this week. Just for the hell of it I took a couple shots at 300mm and 1/80s handheld. They looked like they'd been taken at 1/800s. Crazy what a little technology can do.

Getting a bit bored so I decided to go back and play with the off camera flash again. I took "Monica" outside for the first time, in the shade on the patio with the pond and parking lot in full sun in the background. This is at ISO 200, f5 and 1/6400s. 2 speedlights, HSS. Not great but more a proof of concept and to get some idea of the limitations of my gear.

DSC_7100_00001.thumb.jpg.d61d101d3b51fa2e3a15c09619321637.jpg

This is with just the available light, same settings but shutter speed at 1/60s.

DSC_7047_00001.thumb.jpg.621ccc1f455fc59ee28f06f73e399899.jpg

All you need is to slow down the shutter speed to match the exposure of the ambient background, perhaps with sight underexposure, and/or a reflector or second light to give some edge light to the hair to separate it from the darker part of the background. The key light looks good.