The "Post a Picture You Took" thread

Patricio Swayze

Yep, it was River Legacy. They were only a couple hundred yards from the bobcat info sign, actually. The picture was tough to screw up too much. He couldn't have been more than 10 feet from me when he crossed the trail. I've seen one at Northwest Community Park in Blue Mound a couple times as well. It's always a pleasant surprise when they show up though.

18 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

“Barn find Duster”. I can almost see $25,000 asking price now. 

Great pics as alway Patricio. 

Thanks.  I know much more about Pontiac than Plymouth, so I had to do a bit of research.  I guess the Gold Duster was only made mid year in 1970.  I guess that might add some value.  From about 40 feet away, through some broken boards in the barn, it almost looked like a Cuda...and I about shit myself.  Then I got closer and was like "well, shit...I guess that is still kind of cool".  haha.

For all the years I have been doing photography, I still miss a lot of shots because of bad habits.  I need to remember to continuously shoot through the moment, even if it is street photography (pretty obvious concept for sports photography).  I saw this man waiting for the bus on my way home from work.  I turned around and positioned myself to get a candid shot.  I wanted him to look my way, but not at me.  However, he looked straight at me and I took the shot.  I dropped the camera away from my eye and right then he shot me the finger with angry face.  THAT was the shot.  I mean, I like the portrait, but the other would have been fantastic.  Especially as a series.  Oh well, live and learn.

Oh yeah, the image seems a bit out of focus and I am wondering if something is up with my lens.  I did some processing that increased the bokeh and vignetting, but that shouldn't have affected the center of the image. 

46074278435_2a4e10cd20_b.jpg

Edited by Patricio Swayze
  • Like 1

I need to put a some of my bird pics on an actual web page on my site, which I have just used for hosting images for boards and stuff in recent years.

Anybody know a good free code for a click-through gallery type thing? I can make basic web pages easy enough. I used to always do separate thumbnail images as links to the full size image, but that's kind of a pain.

That morning last week when it was real cold I had a rare opportunity for a great shot. The bird feeders in the yard had long icicles all over them and they were full of birds, including some goldfinches. I hurried to get my camera and got to the door. I can't shoot through the double pane glass in the door without the image being distorted, so I had to try to open it quietly. But the cold and dampness made the door swell up and it was stuck, it popped open loudly and they birds all scattered. I waited there a half hour for the birds to return, but the never did, and I had to leave.

That morning last week when it was real cold I had a rare opportunity for a great shot. The bird feeders in the yard had long icicles all over them and they were full of birds, including some goldfinches. I hurried to get my camera and got to the door. I can't shoot through the double pane glass in the door without the image being distorted, so I had to try to open it quietly. But the cold and dampness made the door swell up and it was stuck, it popped open loudly and they birds all scattered. I waited there a half hour for the birds to return, but the never did, and I had to leave.

Bummer. But various versions of this are about 75% of my shooting experience when it comes to birds.

A leucitic red tailed hawk has been spotted near my neighborhood. I have stopped by the field where it has been seen but no luck yet.

Yesterday I saw two northern harriers fighting mid air, but they were well beyond my 400mm range.

My recent success is largely due to the fact that I'm going out and looking a lot more than I used to and shooting more, and getting better at birding. I'm finding stuff that I didn't know to look for a year ago, and I know more places to look that aren't far away. I take a lot of shitty pictures, too, but I don't show those. I just have a larger cache to choose from.

Maybe the birds are kinda getting used to me hanging around all the time, too. But I still have more days when I didn't get much of anything than good shooting days. It just takes a few seconds of good fortune to make a good week.

1 hour ago, DougO said:

My recent success is largely due to the fact that I'm going out and looking a lot more than I used to and shooting more, and getting better at birding. I'm finding stuff that I didn't know to look for a year ago, and I know more places to look that aren't far away. I take a lot of shitty pictures, too, but I don't show those. I just have a larger cache to choose from.

Maybe the birds are kinda getting used to me hanging around all the time, too. But I still have more days when I didn't get much of anything than good shooting days. It just takes a few seconds of good fortune to make a good week.

It definitely takes a ton of patience and some luck.

One from today, not pretty birds...

46202756915_14fb50b207_b.jpg

Man Patricio hits the “gritty” parts of town. I’m getting a little more comfortable photographing in town and such. But mainly building and street stuff when the people are just in the background. I’m not yet ready to be yelled at by angry homeless. Kudos to you. You get great pics. 

On 1/28/2019 at 8:38 PM, hookem2010 said:

I spend most weekends wandering around urban wilderness. I really need to invest in at least a decent point-and-shoot. Any recs for a beginners camera for birds and other wildlife?

It's been a while since this was posted, but I was snooping around at Adorma just now and was thinking something like this would be a better way to get started and do a lot of shooting than a point-n-shoot.

https://www.adorama.com/inkd3500k2a.html

41% Off

Nikon D3500 24MP DSLR Camera with NIKKOR 18-55mm and 70-300mm Lens With Free Kit

Final Price

$496.95 You save: $350.00 (41%)

Regular Price: $846.95 - Instant Rebate: $350.00 $496.95 Get 497 Reward Points

Well, on my 3rd attempt to find the leucistic red-tailed hawk, I saw her (I think its a her).  I desperately need an extension and I still think my lens is not focusing correctly at 400mm (this lens was repaired once by Canon).  This is the one shot I got that was somewhat ok.  Cropped to holy hell.  I will try again soon.

47075569172_10833fe222_b.jpg

• Like 3

Amazing hawk! That's a great capture.

I don't like using extenders if I have a choice. Right now I'm using my 300mm f2.8 with extenders (1.4x and 1.7x) because I sent my 200-500 f5.6 in for repair. I don't like the look of photos with extenders I have used, and they usually come with some AF issues. If you can stop them down a bit from wide open it helps, but I still have some kind of funkiness most of the time.  The 200-500 performs better for birding in most cases than the 300 with a TC attached. But the 200-500 doesn't have the fancy professional lens multi-coatings that cut down on flare/abberation that makes soaring bird and other bright contrasty situations look fuzzy.

You might see if you can get your hands on a Sigma or Tamron 150-600 models and give it a try. They get great reviews for bird photos, very similar to the Nikon model I use. They are reasonable affordable in terms of photo equipment.

https://photographylife.com/nikon-200-500mm-vs-tamron-150-600mm-vs-sigma-150-600mm-c

For sports the AF tracking and performance isn't really fast enough for football, but good for baseball with a lot of range for reaching outfield shots and still being able to shoot infield action.

• Like 1

I don’t think so. He was moving a bit before I made the block.

Doug, thanks man. Trying to catch up to you. My pop’s has the canon x1.4 extension and I like the quality of the images he is getting. Definitely the more affordable option for me.

The 1.4x is so much better than the 2x extender. You lose two stops and I swear you have to stop down another to get stuff in focus.

Not a photog by any stretch of the imagination but we spent 7 full days in Cuba last summer and this is one of my favorite pics from Central Havana.  This was taken just a few blocks from where we were staying.  Taken with an iphone because I dont think I had my camera with me on this night.  I love the buildings, small goals, and the street soccer scene.  The motion blur screws up the ball but it was beat up and tattered.  IMG-0296.jpg   

• Like 6

Not a photog by any stretch of the imagination but we spent 7 full days in Cuba last summer and this is one of my favorite pics from Central Havana.  This was taken just a few blocks from where we were staying.  Taken with an iphone because I dont think I had my camera with me on this night.  I love the buildings, small goals, and the street soccer scene.  The motion blur screws up the ball but it was beat up and tattered.  IMG-0296.jpg   

I was lucky enough to go to Cuba a few years back. It’s so cinematic. Nobody is every inside, everyone is on the streets. The architecture is incredible, even with it being dilapidated and the cars add to the effect.
I remember being in a car driving at night and all these silhouettes in doorways and on the street, backlit by the warm light from the buildings. It’s a cool place.

IMG-5243.jpg

We took a day trip to the city of Vinales and along the way, we stopped at a roadside tourist trap.  All the tour buses and private cars stopped there on their way somewhere out of Havanna.   This cart was also at the roadside bar/restroom (pay for toilet paper)/snack/souvenir stop.   On the highway, we passed many of there horse-drawn carts moseying down the road.  The building in the pic is used to dry tobacco after the harvest.  The pic could probably use a crop on the right side but the sweat on the horse and the machete are what caught my eye.     

2 hours ago, nycHorn said:

How do you like that camera? I’m in the market for a new medium format camera. I’d love a Mamiya 7ii but they’ve (like all film cameras) skyrocketed in price the last few years.

I like it quite a bit. Wouldn't say I love it, but I do get surprised sometimes by the images it produces. I would say the lens has a more modern rendering, and perhaps that's what keeps me from loving it. Nothin wrong with that as it is sharp and contrasty, but looking around I think I prefer how the Hasselblad and Pentax 67 lenses render. I'm told the Mamiya 7ii lenses are top in class but also have the same sort of sharp, contrasty look.

One thing you can't beat though is how portable this camera is for a medium format. A medium format camera you can easily do street photography with. Also, I was able to successfully travel with it to the Bahamas and got some great pictures. Because it has bellows, you do have to be more careful with it

Also not a cheap camera either. Going for $2,000 - $2,700 on ebay

Edited by naija

I like it quite a bit. Wouldn't say I love it, but I do get surprised sometimes by the images it produces. I would say the lens has a more modern rendering, and perhaps that's what keeps me from loving it. Nothin wrong with that as it is sharp and contrasty, but looking around I think I prefer how the Hasselblad and Pentax 67 lenses render. I'm told the Mamiya 7ii lenses are top in class but also have the same sort of sharp, contrasty look.
One thing you can't beat though is how portable this camera is for a medium format. A medium format camera you can easily do street photography with. Also, I was able to successfully travel with it to the Bahamas and got some great pictures. Because it has bellows, you do have to be more careful with it
Also not a cheap camera either. Going for $2,000 - $2,700 on ebay

Oh yeah, I hear you. Portability is key at this point. I love my Pentax 67 but it’s like traveling with a bowling ball. I’ve looked into everything from the Pentacon 6 to Bronica RF645 to Makina 67. I just really love the 6x7 format.

5 hours ago, nycHorn said:

Oh yeah, I hear you. Portability is key at this point. I love my Pentax 67 but it’s like traveling with a bowling ball. I’ve looked into everything from the Pentacon 6 to Bronica RF645 to Makina 67. I just really love the 6x7 format.

one other thing: the GF670 alternates between 6x6 and 6x7. There is a switch for this. Of course, you select it before you load the film and have to shoot the entire roll in whatever format you pick, but it is a slick option to have

2 hours ago, Loco said:

YESSSS.  Thanks, now I have a photo/exploring boner.  If only I had the time and freedom to travel the world to these places.

Some action today in East Houston...

47200723221_616312748a_b.jpg

32258570217_c2747289ac_b.jpg

46286280005_8369f1886b_b.jpg

• Like 2

Is there such thing as inexpensive medium format?  Feel like I’ve seen Bronica and Pentax 6x7 on CL for under 500 but I know nothing about it. Are lenses and film crazy expensive?  I’ve always loved Pentax when I was young and into the hobby. The 67 is such a cool looking camera. I hear it’s crazy heavy and the shutter is LOUD. 

Is there such thing as inexpensive medium format?  Feel like I’ve seen Bronica and Pentax 6x7 on CL for under 500 but I know nothing about it. Are lenses and film crazy expensive?  I’ve always loved Pentax when I was young and into the hobby. The 67 is such a cool looking camera. I hear it’s crazy heavy and the shutter is LOUD. 

http:// https://www.lomography.com/magazine/219632-the-curious-debonair-super-lens-camera

I kid, I kid. But I do have one.

1 hour ago, Lhorn said:

The 645s are inexpensive. That's how I started. Got a Mamiya 645 1000s. Pentax also has 645s. The expensive 645 is the Contax, for a number of reasons. A lot of what is expensive these days is driven by popularity. If you want relatively inexpensive 6x7 cameras, you can get the Mamiya RB or RZ. Stellar optics, but bigger and hefty, so not as popular hence the lower price. Some 35mm cameras are more expensive than some medium format cameras. Again, popularity

Edited by naija
  • Like 1

My first Merlin, a small falcon species. Got my 200-500mm back from repair and was giving it a workout. Saw the mysterious bird in a tall tree from the car, driving slow on a country road, and stopped to investigate. It was still pretty far out, so I slapped on the 1.7x converter. Four of five shots with that combo were off focus, but I got this one decently clean one, cropped but not too crazy. Cloudy weather has been kicking my ass so I really wish I had better, but it's a good one to have in the bag to improve on if I get another opportunity. The bird stayed on that same limb for about half an hour so I kept trying different setups. My 1.4x shots were OK at full frame, but don't hold up as well to cropping.

merlin.jpg

• Like 1