Greenland, because why not

XYZ

We saw a peregrine falcon, two eagles, a whale (who took an interest in us and swam right by us), a seal (dove right in front of me), a big herd of caribou, and an arctic fox.

Six days of kayaking. In one of those days it rained all day. That day was miserable. The other days it was cloudy/sunny and it was great. The guide told us that sometimes it rains every day. So, yeah, it’s a crapshoot.

• Like 1

On 9/14/2018 at 1:45 PM, miguelito said:

Join the air force and get to live at Thule air base for a year like my old man.

Yeah, fuck that.

Went there twice, '85 and then '86. March and April both years, almost 24 hrs of daylight, but not quite. Bitter fucking cold. Term, "Out in the Thules (Toolies) comes from there.....First year was a week and second around a month. Made multiple trips North from Thule onto the ice cap. There were provisions in every building should whiteout/storms roll through and it wasn't safe or allowed to move from one building to the next (think the movie, The Thing). The base did have one of the best gyms though.

Also had some nice looking AF nurses that worked the clinic and a few hot Danish women that worked at the hotel (BOQ) front desk. They ALL most likely worked other ways too......heard stories how they would sunbathe nude (sorry no pics) down by the fjord once summer came around and it would warm up to maybe 65. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/25/2018 at 8:04 PM, BillyGoatHill said:

Yes. 24 hr darkness to light switched in late March , early April. When we went onto the ice cap you could follow the sun around (below) the horizon. You had to force yourself to go sleep,.... 3am was no light difference from 3pm.

Spent 2 days at Thule in 89. Virtually all daylight with a bare hint of dusk. As a Flight Medicine medic, I agree on the nurses. Food was ok. Glad I did my 13 month remote in Iceland, for sure.