Survivor (whatever season this is)

19 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Agree.  Sometimes the edit (or stuff we don’t see) makes people look smarter or dumber.  In this case, how could he have possibly felt safe enough not to play it?  Hell, he snuck off in the middle of the night because he actually said he needed an idol for the next tribal.  

F’s sake.  There’s a blindside at almost every tribal these days.  

As far as the blindsides go, Jeff is playing it up. Technically every vote is a blindside to at least one person in the great majority of cases. Sure on occasion someone knows they are going home before the vote but they have been editing it to look like one side changes their mind at the very last minute to increase the TV drama that probably in most cases isn't actually there. 

Blindsides were not that common until about 5 seasons ago.  At least as far as one can tell from the reaction of the person that was blindsided.  At this point in Survivor play, you should never assume safety - especially in the case of two players overtly going after one another.  Chris said as much on the show.  Hell the show’s actual theme revolves around idiots that didn’t play their idols.

I get that there’s a lot we don’t see, but I just can’t see a scenario in which not playing the idol was a responsible play.

5 hours ago, idigTexas said:

I love Chris's snide little "at least I didn't leave it at camp" remark, which was somehow supposed to make him appear to be less of an idiot.  I'm sure I have faulted players for playing idols unnecessarily, but Knox is right.  With so many blindsides and other idols and advantages these days, it's always justifiable to play one if you have it.  An idol may or may not be more useful later, but it's worth nothing if you aren't still in the game. 

I think, if I understood the rules when he was on Ghost Island, it was an even dumber move than you're thinking.  Wasn't that idol only good for the next two tribals?  So he decided to save it for next week, even though he was talking about how this was the big show down tribal between him and Dom.  And the Dom played an idol and he still thought he was safe?  

Now that I typed that out, I've come to one of two conclusions.  I'm either wrong about something or Chris may very well be the 2nd stupidest person to ever play Survivor (tips cap to Erik who looked like one of the Bee Gees).  

I think, if I understood the rules when he was on Ghost Island, it was an even dumber move than you're thinking.  Wasn't that idol only good for the next two tribals?  So he decided to save it for next week, even though he was talking about how this was the big show down tribal between him and Dom.  And the Dom played an idol and he still thought he was safe?  
Now that I typed that out, I've come to one of two conclusions.  I'm either wrong about something or Chris may very well be the 2nd stupidest person to ever play Survivor (tips cap to Erik who looked like one of the Bee Gees).  

You’re right about it only being good for two weeks. So saving it this week just meant it would have been use it lose it next week.

So everything being even, u play the idol this week just based off the fact that u could possibly win immunity OR find another idol by the next week.  Add to the fact that there is an obvious showdown between u and another and the lack of play is even more idiotic.

3 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

So everything being even, u play the idol this week just based off the fact that u could possibly win immunity OR find another idol by the next week.  Add to the fact that there is an obvious showdown between u and another and the lack of play is even more idiotic.

but what are the chances he could possible find another idol this week?  Pretty sparse this season, lol.

Edited by pied
  • Like 1

Boooooooooooo.  Other than common female jealousy, I still don't see why Libby was targeted so often.  She wasn't a threat in any way.  The writing is on the wall for Michael.  No one voted with him, not even Libby.  He is going to have to go on an epic immunity run or someone is going to have to start making moves.  Editing suggests that no one will, or that they won't be successful if they try. 

The producers clearly like Dom, Wendel, Laurel, and Donathan. 

Going to miss Libby.  She was very easy on the eyes.  She should have worked harder to save herself instead of whining about getting votes at prior tribal councils.

Back to Chris Noble, here is his answer from his exit interview on RHAP about not playing his idol; 

"I don't play that idol because for me to win the game I needed to get more out of it than just that tribal. And, I have to have faith in all the work I put in for 22-days creating bonds and relationships to protect me from a possible blindside.  Unfortunately, that was not the case and I got blindsided.  I knew Dom was going to vote for me, so... and Wendell, so that was not a surprise.  I went in thinking that if Dom and Wendell- especially if he had an idol- if they both had idols, I was playing mine.  If neither of them played anything I was playing my idol and it was really just a tossup whether I was going to play it if Dom played, you know an advantage or an idol.  So, I took the risk because if I take that risk and I don't get voted out, I have that idol with the power of [?] finally, next time around, and who knows what happens there."

I get the first part about building relationships and relying on them, but he loses me quickly thereafter.  My interpretation of his thought process is that if either Dom or Wendell, or both, played an idol or advantage Chris would play his.  If neither played an idol or advantage, Chris would play his- but it was a tossup if Dom played his. I can only surmise that it boiled down to Wendell and whether Wendell played his idol (if he had one, which he did).  For whatever reason, had Wendell played his idol that would have have been the trigger for Chris to play his.  Based upon his statement regarding relationships, he must have thought that he could out-muscle Wendell in a head-to-head vote among the tribe.  

Oh, and production took his idol from him.  Snatched it up right away.  He didn't get to keep it.

5 hours ago, idigTexas said:

Well what is he going to say, "I'm a delusional dumbass?" 

I wouldn't go so far as to call him "delusional."  Overconfident for certain.  I do find it amusing that ten-months after the fact and he still can't put together a coherent or believable CYA 

3 hours ago, Saint Tacky said:

I wouldn't go so far as to call him "delusional."  Overconfident for certain.  I do find it amusing that ten-months after the fact and he still can't put together a coherent or believable CYA 

On ‎4‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 8:10 PM, WBT said:

Wendell's vote speech was great

delusionally over confident?

On 4/19/2018 at 5:45 AM, idigTexas said:

Boooooooooooo.  Other than common female jealousy, I still don't see why Libby was targeted so often.  

The producers clearly like Dom, Wendel, Laurel, and Donathan. 

Agree on both counts. 

That four is clearly making it to the end if they stick together. And even if they don't they are the focus of the producer driven "story line" the rest of the way. 

What a weird season.  No one seems to have a good read on anyone else, and it is making for some really questionable game play.  Maybe Des thought she was close enough to Laurel to trust her, but we haven't seen anything to support that assumption.  It would have been funny if her over the top lying worked.  At least Des tried to make a move, which is more than I can say for anyone else. 

I'm still waiting for Ghost Island to be meaningful.  It's pointless to have the team that wins a challenge choose whom to send, as the teams are all mixtures of original tribes and alliances, so it's always going to be drawing rocks.  I think shaking up the tribes so much in the beginning really hurt that aspect of the game.  On the other hand, I'm surprised that the alliances still seem to be about original tribe membership.  Why?  It's as though no bonding at all has occurred since Day 1.   

Yeah.  That was weird.  Again, there’s prob a lot that we don’t see.

i get that the game is about deception, but I was getting a little annoyed at the attitude coming from Des after getting caught in a lie.  Reminded me far too much of some of the students I teach.  That being said, her exit speech cleared it up and it kind of ended up being funny.  She was putting on a show because she knew she’d been busted.

Yep.  She went down swinging, and I give her a little credit for doubling down on the lie.  The only other option would have been to try to get out of the lie by claiming that she was simply trying to get intel from Malolo on possible voting targets or something.  That may have been more plausible, especially if she explained it to her inner circle. 

On 4/22/2018 at 7:46 PM, Scraps said:

#TeamWendell

Same here. At least in this show he consistently comes off as a straight up legit good dude with a good head on his shoulders. His physical/agile abilities pair well with his strong mental “I can do” attitude. That will all likely get him ejected, but I would put my mony on that guy coming out of this show with a good future. 

• Like 1

the only problem i have with des going home is it re-emphasizes the keep a low profile mode.  if she had kept her mouth shut there was no way she was going home for another 4-5 votes.  she was quiet, zero threat, well liked.  i hate that the moral is when you attempt a big move you put the target on your back.  at some point the girls are going to have to get together and take out dom, michael, and wendell.  those are the three leaders and clearly most deserving of the win to date.  none of the girls can win the jury vote as long as one of those three is still in.

14 hours ago, DanRydell said:

That’s not really new though. It’s always been important (and a struggle) for players to find a balance between keeping the target off their back but still having a resume if they get to the end.

Yeah, it's always been about the balance of timing, making the right move, and probably the biggest factor knowing who you are going to approach about that move. If you don't play it right or choose the wrong person you will be the easy target to vote out as your plan blows up in your face. 

That happens at least once every season if not more. The reason I hate the multitude of idols and advantages is it somewhat takes away from what made the game so great and that was strangers from all different walks of life and backgrounds having to trust each other to not only win challenges but to get far in the game and give themselves a chance to win. 

Well that kind of sucked but this is weird.  My daughter actually knows, and graduated with, Michael Yerger.  My wife mentioned something about him graduating from Bearden High School in Knoxville.  His bio says that he lives in LA.  Talked to my daughter tonight.  She went to both middle and high school with him.  Said she didn't run in the same circles with him as he was more of a prep/football player.  She said is was a pretty nice guy and won "Most Likely to Succeed".

• Like 1

Looks like the producers tried to shake up the Pagong situation by creating two Pagong situations, thus expediting it.  Nice!

I'm shocked, SHOCKED, I tell you, that Dom found another advantage.  I think he will eventually try to use it to get rid of Wendell.

Michael almost pulled it off.  I missed who voted for whom, but I assume he is who voted for Wendell.  If he had voted Laurel, he'd still be playing, but there was no way for him to know that the girls had bought his story and were targeting each other.  It would have been very interesting if he had been able to convince Donathan to loan him the idol.  Would he have just used it for show as promised, or played it?  What if Donathan had loaned him half?  Would half an idol be convincing? 

It's a bummer that Donathan used his idol, but better safe than sorry, and at least he didn't waste it on saving Jenna.  I'm not sure which I enjoyed more.  The look on her face when Donathan played the idol for himself, or the one where she realized she had been played by the Naviti alliance.  I would have rather seen a Naviti person head to the jury, but since that wasn't happening, at least there was a little drama. 

Chelsea is turning into an immunity whore.  She has received almost no air time, so I have zero hope that she will go much further. 

Michael, thought he was gone 5 or 6 votes ago.  He's been on thin ice for a long time and it finally caught up to him.  donathan will need that idol in weeks to come.  too bad he burned it but yes, better safe than sorry.  i hope jenna is next to go.  

It really doesn't matter if someone plans a big move or not if it's not what the producers want to happen this season.  They are manipulating things more than they ever have and the only thing left is for Jeff to start throwing away votes he doesn't like at tribal.

• Like 1

Gee I just can't imagine why Kellyn is divorced.  She's insufferable.  

The edit was far too obvious as far as Wendell not going home.

I don't want to dredge up an old debate from the last site, but I can't believe Sebastian chose an afternoon with his sister over an advantage to the game.

I agree with Wendell's edit.  No way was he going home.  It was a golden opportunity for Donathan and Laurel to make a move, but they continue to sit on their hands and wait and wait and wait.  What would it have mattered if Wendell played his idol?  Chelsea would go home anyway, and they would still have numbers to get rid of him next time.  Now he still has an idol to play and is good at challenges.  They may not get another chance.  I don't understand the excessive fear of retribution.  Voting numbers still matter.

I suppose the thought is that Dom and Wendell won't want to face each other in final tribal, so one will turn on the other eventually, leaving room to sneak in with absolutely nothing accomplished to win votes.  It's definitely an easier path than actually doing anything proactive to control the game, but it is a losing strategy.  This season is very meh.

I was actually a little surprised that Dom didn't go for the advantage, though if he had, his clingy codependent wife would have been pissed.

I found it strange that only one person had a significant other as their loved one.  I guess that speaks more to the demographics of this year's cast...mostly a bunch of millennials.  Even more strange was the extreme butthurt of missing out on a reward with sibling love.  Don't get me wrong, I love my sibs too, but some of that seemed a bit "so that's how it is in their family."   

• Haha 1

I wonder if placement payoff ever comes in to play. From everything I’ve seen, one seems to earn about $10,000 for every vote survived after the first jury member.

So, stick with your three, guarantee that u get around $100k plus a minor shot at a mil OR make a move at 8, target yourself, earn ~ 30-40k and no shot at a mil.

I’d go with the former.

10 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Gee I just can't imagine why Kellyn is divorced.  She's insufferable.  

The edit was far too obvious as far as Wendell not going home.

I don't want to dredge up an old debate from the last site, but I can't believe Sebastian chose an afternoon with his sister over an advantage to the game.

SeaBass: "But did ya see her ass hanging out of her shorts?" 

Principal Rooney: "So that's how it is in that family."

Fuck, I didn't read iDig's before I posted! 😡  Sorry.

Edited by Vito Andolini

i thought laurel summed up her thinking nicely.  do i go with the people i trust but cant beat, or the people i can beat but dont trust?  she opted for trust.  not smart.  neither she nor donathan are playing a smart game.  weak, lameass clingons.   in the end i think it came down to laurel wanting revenge for kellyn voting twice for her last week. kellyn and angela are next to go.  they are the two out of the alliance.

i'd forgotten he said that.  i was actually a bit miffed because it seemed like he had spoiled the plan and would cause wendell to play his idol.  guess he knew all along that they were voting for chelsea, so it was all just for show.  i wonder if dom and wendell saying they were worried was all just for show too.  maybe  they knew all along that donathan and laurel were with them.

I was sad to see Tara Knowles bite the dust. She had quickly, and shockingly, become a legit Immunity threat and was easy on the eyes. Can't for the life of me understand why Donny spoiled the plan so damn quickly. I guess it was an attempt to flush out Wendell's idol, but he failed in that, so not seeing why he did that. I guess Laurel really is the boys' doormat since she clearly has no spine.  I guess I'm rooting for Donathan or the army chick, but I don't really care at this point. I like major moves and blindsides and this season has been pretty dull in that regard. 

3 hours ago, thrillhammer said:

i'd forgotten he said that.  i was actually a bit miffed because it seemed like he had spoiled the plan and would cause wendell to play his idol.  guess he knew all along that they were voting for chelsea, so it was all just for show.  i wonder if dom and wendell saying they were worried was all just for show too.  maybe  they knew all along that donathan and laurel were with them.

Or maybe Donathan was actually trying to get Wendell to play his idol, but it didn't work.

1 hour ago, idigTexas said:

The crack comment is being over-analyzed.  Chelsea was original Naviti, so Naviti eating its own was the crack.

This late in the season I still have no clue which player started where from all of the damn switches and twist. 

Team Wendell. Total meh season.