we have animals in our chimney/walls

Goo Punch

sounds like squirrels or something. the house was built in 1991'amd the outer portion of the house/chimney has worn and rotted some and we've been able to hear these critters inside the chimney/walls for a while now. whatever it is isn't actually in the usable part of the chimney but in the space in the walls surrounding it. who do we call about this, and does anyone have any idea how much fixing this problem may cost?

When do you hear the noises? If at night then rats, if during the light maybe the beloved tree rat.  Since it sounds like you have a wooden clad chimney what you really have is just a wooden box arount a round flue.  Here is a fix that worked for me once.  I once complained to a landlord about a hole and a creature in the attic.  He quickly had a guy out that sealed the hole... during the day with sheet metal.  That night the damn thing was going nuts trying to get out. Next day I took out a couple of screwes in the corner.  Just enough to let the racoon squeeze out.  

So I would cover the hole with sheet metal today and screw it down. You will likely really hear something in the wall that day or evening trying to get out.  Next day barely leave the corner flap of the sheet metal loose enough for an exit, but difficult for a return.  It's worked for me twice so far.