2018-19 Big 12 Basketball Thread

Horny Bull

42 minutes ago, Go Pokes said:

Has nothing to do with reasonable conversation. Has everything to do with you being half that conversation.

So you don’t like me?

LOLZ.  So you made it about me anyway.  Nice inverted Derka move...

1 hour ago, qwertyu1234 said:

With the recruiting class they've built, i'd be surprised if Memphis is NIT bound. 

Still have to coach them.  Pastner did a lot of good recruiting and didn't get them to the tourney often enough.  But yeah... if Penny brings in this talent and doesn't get to the tourney then the big name recruits will look the other way real fast.

16 hours ago, Brian Fantana said:

Agreed. His best shot is probably Kansas. He can play at Memphis and be the best player in the NIT or Kansas where he'll be the starter day 1 on a guaranteed tournament team. Beard would obviously take him but I don't think Tech really needs an RJ Hampton right now.

4 star PF out of Dallas, Tyreek Smith,  who visited TT last week end, now says he'll take one more visit this week end, that being to LSU and then will announce soon.

The  bad news for TT fans is he's originally from La.  I suppose the good news might be all the recent goings on around the LSU program.

6 hours ago, Brian Fantana said:

The Baylor 247 nerd has been losing he/she/it's mind over Tech recruiting lately. It's great.

2019-20 is going to be a revelation...

On 5/13/2019 at 9:50 AM, slorch said:

Players aren’t going to Duke because Coach K coddles them.  He challenges the living hell out of them.  So does Bill Self, among others.

My response was addressing the notion that coaches these days gotta back off to get players to go there.

Might be true in some cases, but if the player is serious about making the next level, hey are going to have to put in the work if they want PT. That is accountability.  With regard to Beard, he has made it explicitly clear on that front.

It’s basically impossible to discern what level of commitment you’ll get in the weight room and on the defensive end in the recruiting process and AAU basketball. Bill Self and Chris Beard don’t have some magical ability to make guys adapt when they get one that doesn’t buy all the way in. How you handle those guys largely depends on your options and how much worse you’ll make the team benching him. Self has planted high profile guys on the bench but also occasionally tolerated surprising stuff. Beard will too given enough success landing 5 stars.

Just this year K did nothing about RJ Barrett jacking more shots than Zion even though he couldn’t throw it in the ocean. And it was obvious and correctable after the Gonzaga loss. It happens everywhere at this level.

On 5/15/2019 at 5:40 AM, slorch said:

If he picks LSU, it just means he needs the money NOW, as opposed to after he gets drafted.

Tyreek Smith says today he's canceling his LSU visit that was scheduled to take place this week end   Got to be good news for TT.

Edited by pigmeat markham

55 minutes ago, Moby Ric said:

Beard is recruiting some major talent.  Tech is going to go through the conference like the Harlem Globetrotters next year.  

The thing that is most shocking to me during this late spring recruiting period is how many fucking scholarships tech and memphis have and how fast they are filling them up.  Can someone give a breakdown of how many scholarships each of those schools have remaining?

Tech has one remaining. Yes they have signed a bunch, but also lost 4 Seniors, Khavon Moore and Josh Mballa transferred, and then Culver entered the draft.

From Palehosefan on RP:

1. Clarke 
2. Corprew 
3. Edwards 
4. Holyfield 
5. McCullar 
6. Moretti 
7. Nadolny 
8. Ramsey 
9. Savrasov 
10. Shannon 
11. Tchewa 
12. Thomas 
13. Available

Edited by slorch

Tyreek Smith commits to Tech

"Class of 2019 power forward Tyreek Smith announced on Twitter that he has committed to Chris Beard and the Texas Tech Basketball team.

Smith played at Trinity Christian in Cedar Hills, Texas and was previously committed to Texas A&M.

Rivals had Smith rated as a four star recruit and the 101st best prospect nationally".

Edited by Dirk X West
  • Like 1

Another transfer! UNLV's Joel Ntambwe commits to Texas Tech

In his freshman season with UNLV, the 6-foot-9, 210-pound Ntambwe averaged 11.8 points and 5.5 rebounds in 24 minutes per game. 

Ntambwe hails from Kinshasa of the Democratic Republic of the Congo, but played high school basketball in the U.S. 

During his senior season at Aspire Academy in Louisville, Kentucky, Ntambwe averaged 13.3 points on 48.3% shooting. 

On 5/25/2019 at 1:04 PM, qwertyu1234 said:

I'd be shocked if Grimes returns, he thought of himself as a 1 and done before coming to Lawrence.  

He isn’t even expected to be drafted. Staying in the draft would be incredibly dumb regardless of what he wants or sees himself as. That being said, I’m not sure if I even want him back unless he really commits to getting better. I don’t think he felt he had to put in the work because he was a top 10 recruit. Transferring isn’t an option because he isn’t going to sacrifice another year. If bill allows him back (we need depth) and he has an ounce of rationality in his body then he should be back. I’m not betting that he will but I wouldn’t doubt it. 

Oh Ntabwe's little bro is a 5-star rated recruit for the Class of 2021.  currently committed to St John's...with a departing Chris Mullen.  Kid needs a place to land, right?

8413237.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=150:200,offsJonathan Kuminga
Centereach, NY (Our Savior New American School)
SF
6-8 
CLASS OF 21
247Sports Composite
NATL.
SF
NY

3 hours ago, slorch said:

Oh Ntabwe's little bro is a 5-star rated recruit for the Class of 2021.  currently committed to St John's...with a departing Chris Mullen.  Kid needs a place to land, right?

Shaka will be all over this.

tenor.gif

or not.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, slorch said:

8413237.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=150:200,offsJonathan Kuminga
Centereach, NY (Our Savior New American School)
SF
6-8 
CLASS OF 21
247Sports Composite
NATL.
SF
NY

TT, as well as 20 other schools has already offered.

On 5/14/2019 at 12:16 AM, pigmeat markham said:

If you believe this piece anyway, supposedly tonight's Boogie Ellis commitment to Memphis narrows the field to three for Hampton.  I personally now think it'll be Kansas.

https://usatodayhss.com/2019/does-boogie-ellis-memphis-commitment-change-rj-hampton-path

No college for RJ

Little Elm (Texas) High School point guard R.J. Hampton opted to play professionally in New Zealand over Kansas, Memphis and Texas Tech.

https://usatodayhss.com/2019/do-not-publish-video-the-r-j-hampton-blog-this-is-why-i-chose-to-play-overseas-new-zealand

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

It's interesting how these dudes justify decisions like this. As it stands now none of the guys who've chosen this route have had much of impact in the NBA. And furthermore they lose out on the early career endorsement money playing college ball in the United States gives them access to. Ja Morant just signed a significant deal with Nike. No way he even sniffs a deal like that had he played 1 year overseas before entering the league. Yeah college athletes should be paid or at the very least make money off their likeness.  And the NCAA on some level exploits student athletes with making them participate in autograph signings or punishing them when not wearing NCAA endorsed clothing,  but with all that being said it doesn't mean there aren't any benefits to playing college ball. And an improved q rating is one of them. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

The one guy on Phog who called this a few weeks ago said that RJ already had a deal in had and was just working to get a shoe deal.  It sounds like Under Armor is giving him some money to go to NZ.  Which is a great play for UA.  Instead of getting caught up in the NCAA/FBI type crap, just give the kids money to turn pro in a different country and then bring them back.  Probably less risk from a regulatory standpoint and from a public perception look too.

Tomorrow is the biggest day of the year for KU with Dotson and Grimes needing to stay in or pull out.  We get them back and we return a contending team. Without Dotson the season is over before it began.

Yeah with the FBI stuff and it becoming more difficult for shoe companies to pay college players under the table perhaps this is the best way to avoid all of that. I mean other than the NCAA finally coming to their senses and allowing people who are good at basketball to be paid for it while they play.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

It's interesting how these dudes justify decisions like this. As it stands now none of the guys who've chosen this route have had much of impact in the NBA. And furthermore they lose out on the early career endorsement money playing college ball in the United States gives them access to. Ja Morant just signed a significant deal with Nike. No way he even sniffs a deal like that had he played 1 year overseas before entering the league. Yeah college athletes should be paid or at the very least make money off their likeness.  And the NCAA on some level exploits student athletes with making them participate in autograph signings or punishing them when not wearing NCAA endorsed clothing,  but with all that being said it doesn't mean there aren't any benefits to playing college ball. And an improved q rating is one of them. 

This type of thing is going to start getting more popular.  It already is in baseball where players are going right out of high school/college to play in Pro ball in Japan to get paid and not have to play shitty AA or AAA ball before making to the majors.  I am surprised it is not more prevalent in basketball to get around the whole school thing and go straight to getting paid...........legally.

One guy has been doing this every year or three and we always say this is going to be more popular. It’s never caught on and it won’t. The guys who have done it in the past haven’t been able to qualify academically so they had no choice. The nba is about to kill OAD too so there are really only 3-4 more years of this even being feasible. It still isn’t going to effect enough people for it to even be a yearly occurrence by the time the nba is ready to take kids out of high school. 

The shoe companies are tossing a lot of money around but they aren’t stupid. They aren’t going to give guys million dollar contracts to play overseas. They’ll give them something but nothing big time. Then if the guy isn’t a 1 and done type player they will abandon them in Europe or Australia. If RJ Hampton doesn’t dominate down there next year he’s going to be stuck over there. That experiment would kill any potential for lift off. This will always make sense for a guy like Zion but will never make sense for a dude that isn’t already a sensation like Zion or AD. 

Jennings is the best example and he got $3.65M. 2M from UA and 1.65 from the team. He was basically a bust in Europe but still got drafted 10 overall. His 10 years in the league probably weren’t worth the investment for UA. I doubt shoe companies are willing to risk that much again unless the hype is Zion level. 

Edited by Jhawk

18 hours ago, Js1 said:

Jeff Goodman called it yesterday.  Saw one estimate today that said he'd make about 400k a year.in New Zealand.  Being selfish, if Texas Tech didn't get him, I'm glad he passed on KU as well.

• Like 1

Tough year for Ku recruiting. The fbi stuff, rumor of self to bulls, Silvio uncertainty with suspension, and then all of the departures from the program and guys testing the draft. 

it isn’t often you have 7 scholarships to fill where 4 of the guys could return and an 8th scholarship on hold because of a suspension appeal. Technically, I believe we have zero scholarships to offer until tomorrow. If we return the same team sans the Lawsons, Moore, and vick then we had a hell of an offseason and filled all but one spot with 2 guys still making a visit to Ku.