Star Trek: The USS Orville season 2 (Dec 30)

atomheartbevo

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

Nice budget increase! 

53 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

That’s what I said. Along with, no wonder it’s taken so long if they’re going for broke on the cgi stuff. 

(guessing a lot of the effect studios are/were swamped)

I wondered how they would fare under The Mouse.  Looks like it benefitted them.

And FX studios were and are swamped.

• 2 months later...

https://deadline.com/2022/04/the-orville-season-4-uncertain-seth-macfarlane-cast-hulu-1235001564/

As the series is preparing for the June 2 launch of Season 3 on Hulu, there are no current plans for a fourth season. I hear the cast of the series was released in August when their most recent options expired.

While there are no plans for Season 4 of 
The Orville, I hear Season 3 is not designed as a definitive ending to the series. The door has been left open for MacFarlane to revisit it with a new installment if/when he wants to do it in the future. In case he decides to do it, the cast will have to 

Womp 

5 hours ago, Js1 said:

Nice that Hulu/Disney left the door open for MacFarlane, given that he's at another network.  I was kind of surprised by that.  Then again, Family Guy is a part of Disney now, so MacFarlane probably has a lot of sway there.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/2/2022 at 11:14 PM, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

I was hoping for a lighter first episode, but I guess they wanted to address the end of the last season.

Orville went dark and Star Trek went light-hearted.

Solid first episode of the season.

Also, the new ensign....

the-orville-new-horizons-charly.jpg

On 6/2/2022 at 11:14 PM, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

I was hoping for a lighter first episode, but I guess they wanted to address the end of the last season.

Seems like they are going dark and serious this season.  And I’m good with that. It’s solid and the episodes are long and damn near mini-movies.

Ep 2 could have had a better storyline (you knew who was going to die the instant you saw them) but overall a pretty great episode. My only bitch is the shuttle scenes. They just look SNL skit level quality because everyone is just standing there behind the seated pilots. At least on Star Trek everyone is strapped in.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, RPM said:

Ep 2 could have had a better storyline (you knew who was going to die the instant you saw them) but overall a pretty great episode. My only bitch is the shuttle scenes. They just look SNL skit level quality because everyone is just standing there behind the seated pilots. At least on Star Trek everyone is strapped in.

Yeah, and the more they went into who he was (Doc's ex), the more I knew bad things were going to happen to him.  I figured he would sacrifice himself to save her boys.

Shuttle scenes were cheesy.

It was a good episode, but I saw a tweet from Seth MacFarlane that ruined it for me. He said it would be very trippy or something like that. I was expecting an X-Files Jose Chung level of weirdness. With that framing, it fell quite short. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/23/2022 at 6:22 PM, Js1 said:

All 3 seasons moving to Disney+ after the season ends, TBD on season 4. Up to Disney, per MacFarlane

Yeah saw that, I’m guessing there will be a season 4, as there’s been several people associated with production stating that more was planned (of course one or two actors said there want another season planned).

It’s  cheaper than the Star Wars shows, and maybe cheaper than Marvel shows, so maybe an exclusive Season 4 on D+ would pad things out for them.

Putting it on D+ Is an an easy/free way to get some more eyeballs on it in anticipation of another season, and they didn’t do a massive upgrade of the S3 budget on a whim.  Putting it on D+ without there being a season 4 would be odd, as it’s not going to get more D+ subscribers (and in fact could cost them some Hulu subs).