Errestaurants

Cattle & Ranching

1 hour ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

My 8th grader is getting into football and sports and lifting weights and wants to get bigger. I might suggest hay bales as an alternative workout. 

Mine's going into 9th.  Wish I had a tractor tire he could flip up and down the side yard.  

On 6/15/2020 at 1:54 PM, Amos Moses said:

I’m getting too old to mess with square bales.

We are all too old for square bales. Man I don't miss that 

2 hours ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

My 8th grader is getting into football and sports and lifting weights and wants to get bigger. I might suggest hay bales as an alternative workout. 

A&M will offer based on his forearms alone. 

Yea there is good money to be made in small bales. Lots of people with smaller farms have every God damn farm animal as pets and buy small bales especially those in and around large cities. They don't have a tractor big enough to buy and put out large bales. 

Posted (edited)

My hand-me-down chute finally gave out.  Had been pricing new w-w chutes, but at $4000K a pop, it was hard to justify for 150 cows.  Picked up a used Powder River chute at a farm sale this last week.  You guys can look forward to me posting pictures when all of those low handles knock my teeth into my brains.

Edited by Kennythetiger

Our tenant just showed up to collect his calves. Tomorrow will be the saddest day of the year for all the mama cows on our farm. 

The oldest one was born on New Years Eve about 2 hours before kickoff of the Alamo Bowl. 

Circle of life....

B3142AA2-CDCB-4265-A06D-E864FFCCE268.jpeg

Posted (edited)

Is there a pre-emergent that any of you use to keep weeds in your gravel drives in check? We had 10" of rain in July and already have had 2 1/2" in August and the weeds are going nuts. It's mostly crabgrass, goosegrass and Mexican sandburrs (goatheads) but there are lots of low spreading weeds that look like sandburrs without the stickers. My house and landscape plantings are downhill from the drive so I hesitate to put down a sterilizer. Anybody have any suggestions?

Edited by Shoxthemonkey
can't spel for shit

Sorry. I do use glyphosate but it only kills what is already sprouted. Less than a week later there is more green to cover the brown. I need something to stop the germination. I use Preen in my landscaping but I can't afford to use it on almost an acre. I'm lower tier surly.

13 hours ago, Shoxthemonkey said:

Sorry. I do use glyphosate but it only kills what is already sprouted. Less than a week later there is more green to cover the brown. I need something to stop the germination. I use Preen in my landscaping but I can't afford to use it on almost an acre. I'm lower tier surly.

Casoron is what I have used when I lived in a house with a large(relatively speaking) gravel driveway and parking area

Not sure of the cost effectiveness for the area you are trying to treat.

3 hours ago, Incredulity said:

Casoron is what I have used when I lived in a house with a large(relatively speaking) gravel driveway and parking area

Not sure of the cost effectiveness for the area you are trying to treat.

Thanks. I will give that a try next spring.

“3 day weekend, lots of chores to get done. Plus we’d like to leave a little free time in the late afternoon to swim or try for some dove.

Stop. What was that?”

{cattle}lulz fuck your plans. Look at me! I gotta pretty necklace! Look at me, I’m doing dumbass bull calf things. Moooo! 419e14946e483a627adb5e09e1a7621f.jpg

04d341b2ab5aaa8313535d3719f4e22d.jpg

43 minutes ago, Llano Estacado said:

“3 day weekend, lots of chores to get done. Plus we’d like to leave a little free time in the late afternoon to swim or try for some dove.

Stop. What was that?”

{cattle}lulz fuck your plans. Look at me! I gotta pretty necklace! Look at me, I’m doing dumbass bull calf things. Moooo! 419e14946e483a627adb5e09e1a7621f.jpg

Least they are hardy.  G-father used to bitch about his sheep:  "born looking for a way to die" was one of his go-to phrases.  

Stop. What was that?”

This song is always appropriate when dealing with cattle:

On 9/8/2020 at 10:26 AM, Llano Estacado said:

Stop. What was that?”

The world would be much less fun without bull calves. 

I worked farm and ranch full time for the last seven years... Focusing on mobile welding now but it occurred to me that you might’ve worked in ranching too long when:

You drive by other peoples ranches and you start counting their cows as you pass by on the highway 🤣 Hey, wait where’s the bull!? Catch myself doing that a lot 

On 8/10/2020 at 8:16 PM, Shoxthemonkey said:

Cimarron is very low cost & kills over 100 different types of weeds iirc. It will even kill horehound (which sprouted up like mad in our overgrazed deer pens) and cimarron won’t kill your grass. I believe it has a pre-emergent action also. 

Edited by Marfa Low Crown
They make two of them iirc & one has 2 4 D (not oak safe)

Noticed my tenant’s friendly Brahma bull was limping this week. Tenant came and got him Friday.

Bull has an abscess in his foot that they are going to try and treat. They hope he can recover and come back in a couple of months, but there’s no guarantee he won’t end up as hamburger, either. 

My kids are sad - they liked that guy a lot. 

3 hours ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

Noticed my tenant’s friendly Brahma bull was limping this week. Tenant came and got him Friday.

Bull has an abscess in his foot that they are going to try and treat. They hope he can recover and come back in a couple of months, but there’s no guarantee he won’t end up as hamburger, either. 

My kids are sad - they liked that guy a lot. 

Kids are always intrigued by Brahman cattle since they looked different. Little do they know what an ass whooping they can be.