Aladdin with Will Smith as The Genie

crash_davis

Went to see it with wife.  I fell asleep about 15 minutes in.  Not making it up, either.

Will Smithwasn’t as bad as I imagined he would be.  2nd half of movie was better...

On 5/25/2019 at 7:53 AM, Horny04 said:

I'm wary of Will Smith and I know nobody can top Robin Williams, but has anyone seen this? Initial reviews are mixed. My kids really want to see it this holiday weekend but I've got a 8 6 and 4 year old. I've seen some parent reviews saying this one is for 8 yr olds and up. Even if it's tacky I'm more concerned if it's too scary for the little ones.

I am taking a 7 and 4 year old tomorrow, all the people I know who have watched it say it is fun for kids. 

Wife informed me a few minutes ago there was a 615 and 715 showing tonight, since our kids want to go.

I suggested she could take them while I stayed at home.  The look she gave me was enough to know I should tread lightly.

I'm going to go to the theatre tonight.  Yay me.

Saw it today with the wife and kid. Both the wife and I walked out thinking it is better than we expected. Will Smith isn’t horrible, but he’s playing a role made iconic by a comedic genius. No one could come close to the original. My daughter (she’s six and likes the original) loved it; danced in her seat during a few of the songs. 

I would have used a wish on a threesome with Jasmine and her handmaiden. 

Edited by Dutch

5 hours ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

Biggest delta between trailer and movie.  Really liked it.  Great nostalgia factor.  Every song from the original they redid great.  

Agree. The beginning for me was bad but once it picked up it was much better than I expected. 

6 minutes ago, Horny04 said:

I went in ready to be disappointed and really enjoyed it. I thought Jasmine was hot but her new songs were annoying.

This is where I am too. Actually pretty decent, Will Smith did much better than I thought he would based on the previews.

Also agree that the #metoo movement had its fingerprints all over it. I guess it’s not necessarily a bad thing but it was a noticeable difference.

The dancing scenes were also enjoyable- the one where the genie possesses him and the one during the credits.

Edited by Billy Pilgrim

• 9 months later...