Lurch

2019 Golf Thread of Dominance

Walked Memorial Park on Tuesday. Love what Doak did bringing this course to life. Use of the barranca, green size and complexes to go with the clearing of unnecessary trees. So much fun for such a flat site. Bravo Houston.

We have great land for courses here in Austin but we refuse to go hire a Doak or Coore because our city leaders suck.

Edited by Goodman

On 10/24/2019 at 9:12 PM, pops said:

Great week in St George. Green springs, copper rock, sand hollow and a bunch of holes at Bloomington CC. Perfect weather. Fall in the Utah desert is tough to beat. 

20191019_123857.jpg

20191019_143312.jpg

20191019_190000.jpg

20191018_104641.jpg

When you have a min, tell us about Sand Hollow. It has a following similar to Sweetens in that part of the country.

Is this just a tee it up anywhere arrangement ? Sure don't see any tee markers

We were playing the plates (tips) that round. Had to get permission from head pro. We’ve been going out there for the last 15 years so they let us.

Just finished my fitting at club champion. What a difference shafts make. Ended up with 115g KBS tour V shafts and cobra tec forged heads. We had to adjust my loft 3 degrees because I was peppering my 6 iron out to 210-212. I’m pumped. It was a great session and the guy explained everything very well. Wasn’t going to golf in Cabo in 2 weeks. Now I’m thinking about taking my new weapons. 

@DDD Dad how many guys are you out there with? How do you play that format? Do you choose teams? I’m headed to pinehurst in the spring with a 4some. Might be interesting to switch up our typical stroke play. 

21 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

Just finished my fitting at club champion. What a difference shafts make. Ended up with 115g KBS tour V shafts and cobra tec forged heads. We had to adjust my loft 3 degrees because I was peppering my 6 iron out to 210-212. I’m pumped. It was a great session and the guy explained everything very well. Wasn’t going to golf in Cabo in 2 weeks. Now I’m thinking about taking my new weapons. 

@DDD Dad how many guys are you out there with? How do you play that format? Do you choose teams? I’m headed to pinehurst in the spring with a 4some. Might be interesting to switch up our typical stroke play. 

We’ve done different formats over the years but for the last 7 or 8 it’s been a Ryder Cup format.  Four ball matches over two days (36 holes each day) and then singles over 18 holes the final day. Typically will have two singles matches per player the final day (both players from each team have matches against both of the other team’s players in the foursome).   We also do an individual quota competition on the par 3 course the first day, which followed our round on the tips (which wasn’t part of the team matches).

We have a trophy that gets engraved each year.  Pretty good little tradition.  It’s called the Bandon Shoe and named after a shoe that you can see in the Inn if you’re ever there.

I think I posted the story behind that shoe back on TOS.

Nice. I need to think of a good 4 man circuit. This year at Erin and whistling we played 3 rounds. Had fourball in each round. winning team took a point. Then we had a point for the low net individual each day. Then another point for the low weekend net. Worked out ok, everyone got to play their ball all weekend. 

Might want to do a quota game next spring since we’re adding a round this year. Also have a par 3 course contest. 

Nice. I need to think of a good 4 man circuit. This year at Erin and whistling we played 3 rounds. Had fourball in each round. winning team took a point. Then we had a point for the low net individual each day. Then another point for the low weekend net. Worked out ok, everyone got to play their ball all weekend. 
Might want to do a quota game next spring since we’re adding a round this year. Also have a par 3 course contest. 

Forgot to mention. We had 8 this year. Usually we have 12-16.

Need to start playing again. Just lazy/kid stuff. I havent played in over a year and that's my longest layoff ever. JuCo scholly and can still shoot high 70s but no reason to want to play since my kids love basketball and football so that's all we do. Wish they wanted to play golf. But I do love playing hoops with them, and beating their ass in horse.

On 11/28/2019 at 11:38 AM, Goodman said:

When you have a min, tell us about Sand Hollow. It has a following similar to Sweetens in that part of the country.

Interesting that you say that.  Sweeten's is kind of weird/cool old school design mecca right now.  Sand Hollow is fun, and the 9 hole links course is really fun, but I don't know that it has that kind of cult following down there.  That being said, if you are planning a golf trip in that part of the country I would say it is a must hit.  It is good desert golf and better than most in St. George.  But I also think Wolf Creek is a dumb course that was built for no purpose other than saying they built it, so what do I know?

Side note, entrada just approved a huge redesign by McKlay-Kidd.  Which is great because Miller built a stupid course on one of the best pieces of land in the desert southwest.  Also, a new course is going in next to entrada to be designed by Weiskopf.  good things happening down there.  I'm headed down this weekend for my last golf of the year.