Gary Clark, Jr. "This Land"

jimmyjazz

This might be the one that vaults Gary Clark, Jr. into the stratosphere.  A seething commentary on modern racism, it deftly melds Hendrix riffs with Gary's muddier southern blues tone, a furious lyric, hints of reggae, and a brilliant video.  I'm a bit flabbergasted.  I'm pretty sure lazy critics are gonna offer up Childish Gambino's "This Is America" as the easy touchstone, but that's not fair to either tune.  There's more than enough room for two.  Honestly, I wasn't really sure GCJ had this level of artistry in him beyond a pure player.  I was wrong.

Official video:

Live performance on Colbert -- he did a good job of stripping down the lyrics for mainstream broadcast, although I'm a little surprised "nigga" is apparently going too far:

• Like 5

Just listened on Spotify. Pretty badass. A little hip/hop, a little blues, a little rock and roll. 

Reminds me of TV on the radio - you a fan of theirs? If not, you should be. 

Loyal Forever, baby. 

Edited by ztejas
Now I'm listening to TV on the radio. See what you did?
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, PantsTent said:

The chorus is kind of catchy.  But I'm not sure those lyrics should be playing in my head throughout the day.

Yup.  Really good song, but I just hope I'm not exercising in a public place, while listening to that song.  I often catch myself mouthing the lyrics to what I'm listening to in a low volume while working out.

• 4 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Very Prince-ian.  Nice.

I watched Purple Rain a couple nights ago. (For like the nth time).

I dont know if there's ever been a movie so bad that manages to cram in so many amazing moments. It's like an album with 2 all-time songs and then a bunch of the worst shit you've ever heard (as an analogy - not describing the album Purple Rain).

Played an album preview show last night at Antone's. After years of telling myself I'd luck into a small Austin show sooner or later.... Of course it came a month after I paid $60 to see him at ACL Live. Added a keyboard player to the band, sounded really good last night. Also a lot more falsetto, which also sounded great.

And since there was some Prince-speak on this thread, I liked this jam:

10 minutes ago, BurdineBandit said:

Played an album preview show last night at Antone's. After years of telling myself I'd luck into a small Austin show sooner or later.... Of course it came a month after I paid $60 to see him at ACL Live. Added a keyboard player to the band, sounded really good last night. Also a lot more falsetto, which also sounded great.

And since there was some Prince-speak on this thread, I liked this jam:

Nice, that jam I posted just 4 posts up? I liked it too. 

GCJr absolutely killed it on SNL.  His band was fantastically tight, he played with great tone and control, and his singing (certainly not his biggest strength) was on point.  You can tell when an SNL crowd is really blown away, and they rightfully were.

I think the train has left the station.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Grandioso said:

This. Album. Shreds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Listened once through.  Pretty dope indeed.  I'm mostly familiar with him from the blues, guitar slingin' point of view and listening to live albums.  This one's got rock, blues, R&B, reggae, and all kinds of vibes throughout all the songs.  Nice to see a 17 track album too! 

Side note: Anybody remember when they used to sit him (and other local musicians) with the Longhorn Pep Band at basketball games as a way to draw fans?  I'd say he's come a long way.  From FEC to SNL, 50 acres and a Model A....

Man, I'm loving this album.  I've been familiar with Gary Clark Jr for a while but had never really listened to him.  A couple months ago I listened to a few songs of his to check it out and I liked what I heard but just never made it through the Gary Clark Jr wormhole.  After hearing This Land the other day, I listened to all 3 of his albums at work and damn.....the dude's good, I don't know why I waited so long to get into his stuff.  I'm really loving his second album, The Story of Sonny Boy Slim, "The Healing" is a killer track.  

If you've gone down the wormhole, you've probably already seen this, but I'll post it anyway. GCJ at the Crossroads Festival in Chicago in 2010. This was him stepping on a big stage for the first time, and doing it in front of dudes like Clapton, BB King, Jeff Beck, Ronnie Wood and Buddy Guy.

• Like 1

I stopped in Austin to see some friends in 2001 on my way to move out to California. I'd never been so my buddy took me down to 6th the first night. We stumbled into Joe's Generic and watched GCJ, 17 years old and mostly unknown. That kid absolutely floored me. That was the kind of Austin that everyone talked about and you could just tell he was special. 

I said fuck California and ended up in Austin for 14 years, partly because that's one of the first things I saw. Where else are you gonna stumble into a bar like Joe's Generic, piss out back and then listen to a GCJ for a couple hours with his high school friends cheering him on at 1 in the morning on a Wednesday? 

• Like 5

• 2 months later...
On 3/2/2019 at 12:03 PM, Ten Bears said:

I've seen GCJ several times over the years, but I think my favorite show was a few years ago at Warehouse Live when Eve and her band opened. Later in his set, they jammed together and he brought his sister out to sing "Church". He's probably played there 4-5 times at this point and it's good(for him) and too bad (for me) that he's probably never going to play that small of a venue in Houston again.

Edited by TWHOOKEM
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...