New Houston Restaurant Recommendations

Jimbaround

1 hour ago, huge said:

I drove by one time and was planning on seeing if they have a bar to sit at and eat but the entire parking lot was coned off for valet and I didn't want to futz with that.

First the gumbo, and now this.  When are you going to publish your book of stories that go nowhere?

You should have gone to the Aquarium Lounge (RIP).

Edited by Jimbaround

1 hour ago, Cleo McDowell said:

The original Beaver's is apparently close to reopening. Anyone know if Southern Goods is ever gonna reopen?

Is Feges gone for good from SG?  If so there isn't a reason for them to re-open.

41 minutes ago, bularry said:

anyone tried BuffBurger?

Went on Sunday to the Wirt location. 

Floor was slippery like the whole thing was brushed with bacon fat. Almost busted ass 3 times. 

Burgers were expensive as fuck at $11. However, taste was there. Solid size and taste. Truffle fries were great. Burger price doesnt include fries

$6 shake was shitty. Almost straight ice cream. Had to use a spoon. Whole place smelled like a backyard bbq and was a little overwhelming. Prolly wont be back, as $40 for 2 burgers, 1 fry, 1 kids meal and 1 shake is a little much

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Mack Tripper said:

BuffBurger is solid. Greenspoint isn’t lying about the floor. I’ve been going there since they opened and have probably been a couple dozen times. I’ve witnessed no less than three people bust their asses with what looked like fairly painful falls.

So weird. Thought it might have been an aberration when i was there

• Like 1

On 3/26/2018 at 2:03 PM, mycox said:

La Sicilia Italian Bakery & Cafe is pretty good. It's next to the new Papa Geno's location.

Second the La Sicilia rec - they only offer 2-3 pasta dishes for lunch so far, but they are good. I’ve tried the cannelloni as well as a couple of their sandwiches/pita bread. 

Anyone been to Emmeline (Formerly Tesla's on West Dallas) ?  Wine prices seem very reasonable. 
Been 2x, lunch and dinner. Solid both times, not too pricey. Good scallops.

The space is great for sunny day with all the windows

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

https://www.chron.com/entertainment/restaurants-bars/article/Chris-Shepherd-s-new-UB-Preserv-to-open-week-of-12799450.php

Chris Shepherd’s new UB Preserv to open week of April 16

No sooner did Underbelly close than an opening date is posted for the restaurant's much-anticipated follow-up. James Beard Award-winning chef Chris Shepherd will open his new restaurant, UB Preserv, 1609 Westheimer, the week of April 16.

Shepherd shared other big news: he has hired former Momofuku wiz Nick Wong at UB Preserv's chef de cuisine. Wong, a native Californian, who joined David Chang's Momofuku team after attending the French Culinary Institute in New York, working at Momofuku Ko and Momofuku Ssam Bar in New York. After two years with Momofuku Ssam Bar he spent a year at Danny Meyer's Gramercy Tavern then at Chris Cosentino's Incanto in San Francisco. He returned to Momofuku Ssam Bar in 2013 as sous chef and was promoted to chef de cuisine a year later.

Shepherd said that Wong was looking for a change and took a road trip across country which brought him to Houston about three weeks after Hurricane Harvey. "He said he wanted to see if there was anything he could do to help out," Shepherd said. "I told him to come and see what you want to do. He spent a couple of days here and we talked."

Those talks led to others and two weeks ago Shepherd had a new chef de cuisine. In the next few days Shepherd said he and Wong will begin collaborating on the menu for UB Preserv, which Shepherd said will continue Underbelly's mission of telling the story of how Houston eats.

But, the Shepherd said, that has changed from when Underbelly first opened in 2012. That story has become more expansive and it will be reflected in the new UB Preserv menu, he added.

"You're starting to see the second generations doing their things," he said. "I think we want to try to venture out not into just Southeast Asian, but also more into Middle Eastern, African and Mexican. We want to expand our vision of what's going on. We want to see it all."

Together, Shepherd and Wong have dumplings on the mind, too. They are conspiring to create the best dumplings in Houston, as well as planning to offer Sunday dim sum brunch, a rarity inside the Loop.

Shepherd and his Underbelly staff have been busy lately. On March 31, the restaurant hosted its final service. On April 1 Underbelly threw a party before work began on transforming the space to Georgia James steakhouse, set to open mid-July. Next door, partner Kevin Floyd will close the Hay Merchant after service April 2 for repairs to the beer cooler, reopening April 22. After Shepherd opens UB Preserv he will have a few months to perfect the menu there before turning his attention to the last day of service at his One Fifth Romance Languages on July 31. One Fifth Mediterranean will open Sept. 1.

"Getting through the weekend was key for me – to be able to have closure and now focus on something new," Shepherd said. "That's the only way I'm going to be able to do this."

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Flying in mid-June and need to plan 3 evening meals for clients from both in and out of town.  Party of 5 - what are the current can't miss spots in town right now?

Last time in town with this group I did State of Grace and Xochi.  

Hay Merchant Happy hour is $3 for select beers, and $3 Houston beers when the home team is winning. It's a pretty average place other than that, but I'm there once aor twice a week.

UB Preserv just opened.

Edited by mycox

12 hours ago, Reagan1k said:

Flying in mid-June and need to plan 3 evening meals for clients from both in and out of town.  Party of 5 - what are the current can't miss spots in town right now?

Last time in town with this group I did State of Grace and Xochi.  

Doris Metropolitan 

B&B Butchers 

I believe there is a table that can fit 5 at Theodore Rex 

Riel 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lazarus Bocanegra said:

Doris Metropolitan 

B&B Butchers 

I believe there is a table that can fit 5 at Theodore Rex 

Riel 

good list, maybe Helen in Rice village and Nancy's Hustle as options?  Is Pax Americana still cool?

2 hours ago, HoustonHorn said:

Going to Coltivare tonight. Will report back. Ritual a couple weeks ago was really good - just sat at the bar for a quick bite before a show. Just saw they were cited for health code violations though.

Coltivare is fantastic. Have a cocktail or two outside while you wait for your table, because you’ll prob be waiting a while. Heads up, the olive oil and black pepper pasta is great, even though it’s not something I’d normally order from a menu. 

On 5/12/2018 at 10:49 AM, Etexhorn13 said:

Coltivare is fantastic. Have a cocktail or two outside while you wait for your table, because you’ll prob be waiting a while. Heads up, the olive oil and black pepper pasta is great, even though it’s not something I’d normally order from a menu. 

Yeah, this was our second time and it was as good as the first. Just fantastic. Wait was about 1.5 hours and we arrived about 5:20. Walked down to Onion Creek to wait so it wasn't too bad.

We did get the black pepper pasta - it was so good the last time that we had to get it again. Pizza was fantastic. Gnocchi starter was very good as was the Burrata. Roasted chicken was excellent. Definitely highly recommended.

Got to Brasserie 19 and enjoy the River Oaks scene.  It's quite interesting and the wine prices are decent - not a bad mark up at all.

Can't go wrong with Rainbow Lodge

Edited by mycox
  • Like 2

On 5/9/2018 at 10:18 PM, We’reTexas said:

Absolutely. Best burger in town, and everything else is excellent. 

Agreed.  Chris Sheperd planned the menu.  Everything is great.  Best wings in town.  They've added several Underbelly menu items; goat dumplings ftw.  Great place to watch an Astros game.  When they're winning Houston made beers are half off.