Abilene- is there any reason at to leave my hotel room?

On 4/10/2019 at 6:50 PM, cactusflinthead said:

Joe Allen's is pretty good barbecue. 

Second the biergarten in Buffalo Gap for the catfish. 

If you want a nice ride around the area, take Buffalo Gap Rd and then around to the shitty lake and on to 277. It will bring you back to town with a little scenery. Same route to get to Perini. Coronado's Corner is a good pitstop. 

Joe Allen’s hasn’t been good for a long time.  His wife’s place Sharons is better.  

Go to Perini for at least one dinner.  And then go back the next day for lunch and grab a burger.  They’re excellent.  

On 4/10/2019 at 11:33 PM, Assman said:

There's a new Hooters on the north side that's stumbling distance to a lot of the hotels on I-20.

Not sure how old you are, but if you're under 40 and have a taste for surprisingly good looking, north-central Texas white trash, Guitars and Cadillacs has college night on Thursdays.  You may think you're better than this, but you're not, and you should go.  It's the best nightlife scene of any night in Abilene. 

If you're into cougars, The Mill is your spot. 

tenor.gif?itemid=7494974

17 hours ago, thestud said:

How long ago? Cahoots was a big dark red building around the corner from the old Joe Allen’s bbq. I worked there in high school and parts of my short stint in college. It was hands down the best seafood in town. Joe got complacent with the restaurants due to his race horses winning him millions each year in Ruidoso and the restaurants went to shit around 2007. Cahoots closed shortly thereafter. As an 18 year old waiter I could make $300 on a Friday night. Joe and his son Josh really fucked up a good thing but they were so rich at that point that they didn’t give a shit.

That’s probably the place.  We had a hunting lease out by Sweetwater all throughout the 2000s and ate many meals on the front and back ends of hunting trips.  Outside of Perini Ranch and some Tex Mex spots, most of our meals are out at my friends’ ranch the last few years.

2 minutes ago, thestud said:

Hudson’s couldn’t carry Tom Perini’s Dutch oven.

Dude cooked for both 41 and 43. The White House even flew him to Japan to cook for some delegates. On any given night during the warmer months you can catch a limo pulling in the gravel drive carrying some sort of Hollywood asshole that flew in just for some of Perini’s peppered tenderloin and Bread pudding with whiskey sauce. He’s been on good morning America’s best burger challenge and he’s best friends with Robert Duvall and Tommy Lee Jones. Do I need to continue or are we good here?

Oh shit he won a Beard award in 2014. So I was missing a lot.

Nah. We're good. And Hudson's hasn't been worth the bill in 10+ years anyway. 

2 hours ago, thestud said:

Perini’s is fanfuckingtastic. I highly recommend if you’re ever within driving distance that you make the trip. I promise you won’t be disappointed. Plus there’s not many things more Texas than eating a steak dinner with longhorns grazing 30 feet away.

In addition to steaks and burger, his Sunday chuck wagon buffet is fucking fantastic.   Chicken fried steak and gravy.  Homemade biscuits.  Veggies.  

peronisides.jpg

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1