Grateful Dead General Thread

Hate

1 hour ago, Hate said:

I’ve posted Pride of Cucamonga before. It’s a great song that I never understood why it didn’t get played live. I guess because of the pedal steel that Jerry played? Did Jerry ever play the pedal live with the Grateful Dead?

Nope. But he played it with the New Riders of the Purple Sage who sometimes opened for the Dead. (This was opening at the Fillmore East.)

Edited by WhatTheBuck
  • Hook 'Em 3

21 hours ago, Hate said:

I’ve posted Pride of Cucamonga before. It’s a great song that I never understood why it didn’t get played live. I guess because of the pedal steel that Jerry played? Did Jerry ever play the pedal live with the Grateful Dead?

I believe he did in 69 and maybe 70.  The Good ole Grateful Deadcast had really good seasons about making Workingman’s Dead and American Beauty that covered this era. There are a few versions of Dire Wolf out there with Jerry on steel and Bob singing lead.  Check out 6/21/69. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Druggist said:

I believe he did in 69 and maybe 70.  The Good ole Grateful Deadcast had really good seasons about making Workingman’s Dead and American Beauty that covered this era. There are a few versions of Dire Wolf out there with Jerry on steel and Bob singing lead.  Check out 6/21/69. 

Yep, that’s correct.

https://archive.org/details/gd69-06-21.early-late.aud-sbd.cotsman.16334.sbeok.shnf/gd69-06-21d2t01.shn

In another bit of synchronicity, I’ve been meaning to share my story of seeing Phish in Cincinnati on 6/21/94. It’s kind of a long story so I’ve been putting it off. But it’s a really good story so keep an eye out for it.

11 hours ago, Druggist said:

I have been listening to the May Dave’s Pick due to the date (9/8/73 with 9/7 filler).

They are really well-played shows.  The Other One Jam>Eyes of the World from the 7th is awesome.  The Eyes is quickly becoming one of my favorite versions.

So I'm checking out the 9/8/73 show now (I love shows that start with Bertha) and I looked at the set list.  I thought you must have mixed up the years or something because there is no TOO>EOTW from that night.  So I looked at 9/7/73 and its from that show.  I have to work tomorrow so there is no chance I get very far into either show, but now I have a couple of shows queued up for when I have some time. 

On 9/11/2021 at 4:59 AM, Willfully Horn said:

Set two for you and yours.

Hartford 9/5/21

Thanks for posting this, I look forward to watching. 

I didn't realize Dead & Co played Eleven til I saw this set list for this show last week. I don't recall ever seeing a set list I like as much as the 2nd set+ encore. Werewolves as the encore... some Playin',  St Stephen > William Tell > Eleven... love it.

Edited by Travo

Weather was a nuisance (not a threat, though I get that lightning is unpredictable and I understand and don't disagree with taking the more cautious response) but there were two lightning delays. 

Our seats were directly under the closest edge of the balcony (see picture) so we stayed dry. The row in front of us got slightly moist, and the people two rows in front of us got wet, and the people with no cover whatsoever got soaked. 

Music was a little quieter (especially at the start) than ideal, but either they fixed it or it just seemed like less of a problem as the night went on. 

Not my favorite show in terms of a set list - not a ton of depth or deep cuts, but I am certainly not complaining. I'm sure that the uncertainty of the weather may have contributed to the creation of the set list. Playing "greatest hits" that are easy to wrap up at a moments notice, and that nobody is going to grumble at possibly missing part of might have been a factor. 

After 1.5 - 2 hours total of lightning delays, I expected a much longer encore, but I realize that they're old, and that they need to do it all again tonight. 

I expect tonight's show to really sizzle. 

20210917_184235.jpg

20210917_194535.jpg

20210917_194725.jpg

20210917_201304.jpg

20210917_233249.jpg

Edited by Prepuce of Doom
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Hate said:

That’s not a bad set list at all. I’m hoping to hear Bertha when they are here.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not disappointed or anything. Just not blown away, either. 

I don't have much use for FOTM, and NFA is often a little tedious in my opinion. But I'm not really a "sing along" kind of guy, though I don't begrudge those who find that appealing. 

I'm on a tear of "Liberty" tonight.  Anybody got a video of a version they love?  I found a really great one on audio.  Jealous of that Chicago show. Trying to figure out if I can make the Dead & Co. show in Dallas.  One of these days, it'll be the last show of anybody.

I'm on a tear of "Liberty" tonight.  Anybody got a video of a version they love?  I found a really great one on audio.  Jealous of that Chicago show. Trying to figure out if I can make the Dead & Co. show in Dallas.  One of these days, it'll be the last show of anybody.

You should join Us in The Woodlands.

I would in a heartbeat but I gotta be back in Austin at the ass-crack of dawn on that Saturday morning for a semi-work function.  

Even with just a few beers and no substances, I can't do it like I used to.  I pulled a Black Keys show in Austin followed by an early morning turn-around to OU in Dallas game.  I still don't shit right after I eat chicken.  

I may try and make Dallas but I doubt it'll happen.  Would do Woodlands with you if I didn't have to be back in Austin that Saturday morning.  I think I'll have on more crack at the egg someday soon.  

My whole work life is "remotely" in that I am physically there, but mentally---I am standing on the moon.  With cobwebs on my brain.  I gotta be there.  But yeah, I can't remember the last time I was actually in a room with anybody except my kids, cognitively speaking.  I don't know how people do it.  

Anyway, Atlanta 1994---'Liberty'       Good soundboard mix.  Not the best version by Jerry, but great mix/remaster.    Boston 1994 was more impassioned, but sound not quite as good.  But I'm flipping through 'em both along with the iTunes mix.  

Edited by Lobo

Listening to the Wrigley show on 9-18-21. Opens with “Althea.” The opening refrain is so quintessential. One reason it is one of my favorite Jerry songs.

https://archive.org/details/DeadCo2021-09-18.travitz.litz.schoepsCMC64v.flac16/DeadCo2021-09-18t01.flac

Edited to say I don’t know what the error message is about, but the link worked for me.

Edited by Willfully Horn
Explained

I’ll be at The Woodlands.  Dallas didn’t pan out.  I am pretty sure we are in the lawn.

to get ready, I pulled out one of my favorite vinyl releases 11/18/72 in Houston.  The Playin is as good as they get and the Greatest Story, Deal, and Mississippi Half-Step all are great versions too.

And the artwork rules, even though it doesn’t quite evoke Houston.

Jealous of anyone going tonight-have fun!

A1EA84A7-E15B-48E0-8AF1-24724B83969B.jpeg

I can’t wait for the show. I’ll be on the lawn as well tomorrow night! I’ll be listening to 10/14/77 to get in the right frame of mind tonight! I’m hoping to get there early enough to be as close to he front of the lawn as possible.

Was contemplating getting lawn tix for the wife and I for Houston over the last couple weeks..

Buddy called yesterday and has an extra Pit ticket.  Wife wasn't all that jazzed about going anyway, so she's sitting it out.

Plus it's some sort of VIP package comes with early entry, poster, commemorative ticket and separate merch booth

I'm excited.

• Hook 'Em 2

Dead & Co. opened the second set in Dallas last night with 'Deep Elem Blues'.  Gotta give 'em partial credit for that.  Second set looks awesome from the printed list anyway, closed with my latest addiction song---"Liberty".  Pretty fucking cool.  Look forward to hearing about/actually hearing both shows in Texas from y'all.  If I didn't have to get to work function at 8:00a on Saturday morning, I'd be joining 'Hate' for all kinds of bad decisions and good music tonight in the Woodlands.  Y'all have fun, be safe, and tip your hat to 'Estimated Prophet' for me...

I saw via a Facebook group that there is a Dead themed bar out in Spring that is having some sort of pre-show stuff going on.

Color me shocked that there is a Dead themed bar in Spring...but there is.  Called Franklin's Tower.

Looks very "dive-y"...my kind of place.

https://www.franklinstower.xyz/5iwltoc3pogntnwiioho3ztrc5l77m

Looks to be about 20min south of the venue.

Woodlands parking  is spread over 4 lots...so might be a lot of walking involved.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Druggist said:

Just got here.  Walking over to the lot soon.  I’ll be the guy wearing the gray Summer Tour ‘94 shirt.  My brother is wearing a Summer 95 tie dye.  it would be fun to run into some of you!

Somewhere I have a:

Some Are     Grateful

Summer          Dead

1990 Tour t-shirt

…unless I don’t anymore.

Edited by Napoleon