Rick Beato's YouTube channel is a must-subscribe

Rimbo

On 3/13/2022 at 7:31 PM, Rip76 said:

Why this is Rush’s greatest song.  (Posted today)

I don’t know if I can disagree.

Just watched this again.

I've never thought about this before, but do you think Slash got a little inspiration from the opening guitar riff from this song?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

If you like Beato, this guy is in that vein.  He’s a session guitarist (and probably gets more into equipment than Beato does), and in the video below he talks about some of Glenn Campbell’s work (he was in Glenn’s band in his later years).

• 2 weeks later...

That interview with Jimmy Chamberlin is the best Beato interview I've seen yet.  For one thing, Rick stayed out of it, at least for the most part.  Jimmy is incredibly insightful, articulate, and studied. 

Honestly, he's probably my favorite rock drummer of all time.

Watching his little "master class" at the end revealed something to this non-drummer that I never realized:  despite displaying a heaviness that is nearly unrivaled, he's a jazz guy at heart.  Watch his left foot.  He's keeping quarter note time on the hihat almost always.  He does his cymbal work almost exclusively on the ride.  Those are so characteristic of a jazz player, and in the preceding hour, it's very very clear he has studied all the greats, from Elvin Jones to Gene Krupa to Tony Williams and on to the rock guys.

His insight into finding what the song needs as opposed to cramming what he wants to play into the song should be burned into the minds of every young drummer.

And, he's clean.  Well done, Jimmy.  We almost lost you.  What a shame that would have been.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

That interview with Jimmy Chamberlin is the best Beato interview I've seen yet.  For one thing, Rick stayed out of it, at least for the most part.  Jimmy is incredibly insightful, articulate, and studied. 

Honestly, he's probably my favorite rock drummer of all time.

Watching his little "master class" at the end revealed something to this non-drummer that I never realized:  despite displaying a heaviness that is nearly unrivaled, he's a jazz guy at heart.  Watch his left foot.  He's keeping quarter note time on the hihat almost always.  He does his cymbal work almost exclusively on the ride.  Those are so characteristic of a jazz player, and in the preceding hour, it's very very clear he has studied all the greats, from Elvin Jones to Gene Krupa to Tony Williams and on to the rock guys.

His insight into finding what the song needs as opposed to cramming what he wants to play into the song should be burned into the minds of every young drummer.

And, he's clean.  Well done, Jimmy.  We almost lost you.  What a shame that would have been.

Honestly, before this I'd never really heard Chamberlin talk very much.  The guy is just super detailed when speaking.