Hastag Menswear - Win Instagram or Die Trying

G650

On 7/24/2023 at 2:38 PM, locodos said:

Question for the Surly Clotheshound mafia...

My son is finally looking to improve or develop some style in clothing.  He announced this a few weeks ago and his mother I were optimistic that he's beginning to mature some.  However, being his father, he pretty much will not hear a thing I have to say, unless it happens to align with his current thinking.  It's always been the case.

He's a good looking kid (20yrs old) in college and wears jeans, shorts, tees, and a few collared shirts.  It's hot here year round so winter clothes aren't really a thing.

The problem is that his last trip to the mall/stores (he's home for the summer)  yielded truly shocking results.  Literally some wife beaters and a new shitty gold chain that he ensures is constantly hanging outside his shirt.  Out of nowhere it's Jersey shore up in here.

My question is where would you encourage a young man to look for styles and looks that they can emulate?   I thought about magazines, but they're basically dead.  Is everything just social media, influencers, and fast fashion?   I was hoping he would go for a timeless/classic style vs douchebag chic.

Tell him to go watch Succession for some fashion inspiration....

• 5 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Rudiger said:

Say I wanted something nicer than Brooks Brothers but wasn't ready to go full-on Savile Row bespoke.

Are there good brands in between those two ends of the spectrum for made to measure?

For things like sports jackets and suits? Or just shirts and trousers? A lot of the Savile houses offer MTM options these days in addition to the full bespoke, and some off Row tailors as well like Anthony Sinclair.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, G650 said:

For things like sports jackets and suits? Or just shirts and trousers? A lot of the Savile houses offer MTM options these days in addition to the full bespoke, and some off Row tailors as well like Anthony Sinclair.

Suits and sports jackets, although I could be sold on some shirts and trousers to go with them.

I'm looking for a dignified but not stuffy look. If I understand silhouettes right, I like a natural shoulder, straight lapel, and lean and clean but not to the point of skinny. 

58 minutes ago, Rudiger said:

Suits and sports jackets, although I could be sold on some shirts and trousers to go with them.

I'm looking for a dignified but not stuffy look. If I understand silhouettes right, I like a natural shoulder, straight lapel, and lean and clean but not to the point of skinny. 

If you are looking for a natural shoulder, something like Isaia MTM might be up your alley. Zegna too but they are not a great value prop in my estimation.

Anthony Sinclair would be a not too structured middle of the road option. https://us.anthonysinclair.com/products/two-piece-french-navy-mohair-suit

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, Rudiger said:

That the price I had in mind, but I thought I heard Canali was cheap/crappy for what you got. I’m open to being corrected though. 

Canali and all the other higher end brands you see at Saks/Niemans and Nord to a lesser extent are not a good value.   But I would not call any of it "crappy".

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...

Was very briefly in the city during a visit to my sister in NJ, came away with these

IMG_4789.thumb.jpeg.e0c7995a9705ab3b42e6165cec268b85.jpeg

Rancourt ranger mocs. I have a pair of similar quoddy’s in a darker brown that never quite broke in right (although now I kinda want to try again). They are lined and these are not, I’m hoping they break in to be the extremely easy mid temperature casual shoes for quick pond strolls and park visits that I am looking for. Socks being worn because they are still stiff af. Natural chromexcel, I’m hoping these take on a bit less gray of a color as they become worn.

On 10/27/2023 at 2:14 PM, Celery Man said:

Was very briefly in the city during a visit to my sister in NJ, came away with these

Rancourt ranger mocs. I have a pair of similar quoddy’s in a darker brown that never quite broke in right (although now I kinda want to try again). They are lined and these are not, I’m hoping they break in to be the extremely easy mid temperature casual shoes for quick pond strolls and park visits that I am looking for. Socks being worn because they are still stiff af. Natural chromexcel, I’m hoping these take on a bit less gray of a color as they become worn.

Hell yeah. I have a pair of their Camp Mocs that are probably 10 or 12 years old at this point. Brown chromexcel

On 10/27/2023 at 1:14 PM, Celery Man said:

I have the same pair that I bought on sale early in the year.  Haven’t worn them yet. I’m trying to find a slip on loafer, so ordered a pair of their pinch penny Mocs.  My foot tends to run on the small side for my size 10D, with a lower arch and I have a hard time finding slip on shoes that fit both lengthwise and width wise. We’ll see. 

I would imagine you'd want to go small and let loafers stretch out a bit. I feel like either Quoddy or Rancourt could get you there if you had the patience to do the made to order bit or I think Rancourt has a thing where they send you a few sizes. I keep trying to convince myself that i'd wear the beefroll pennies but I don't think I actually would. Maybe someday.

I was afraid to wear these around because they felt tight and stiff (I mean, of course they were stiff) and I was a little uncertain - I just haven't been able to get my quoddy's so that they feel like there's enough volume in the toes to walk around in all day. I can wear them but by mid day they're not comfortable. Anyways, with the rancourts I finally said fuck it and have been breaking them in over the weekend. Wore them all day today, they already feel good and don't have the problem that the quoddy's do. Chromexcel breaks in nicely.

It's my dumbass fault on the other shoes - I got them at the beginning of the pandemic and they were supposed to be camp mocs but I got the wrong size and just picked something in stock to exchange them and didn't even realize they were going to be lined, which I think is the whole problem both from them wearing a bit tighter and not stretching as much.  I think I might try the thig where you wear them soaked for a whole day, I've just wanted these shoes to magically work for fucking 3 years and I keep seeing them and getting annoyed that they exist.

IMG_4817.thumb.jpeg.b7897c9eff98b7286d4344f69cc845f7.jpeg

Edited by Celery Man
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

I asked this question awhile back; someone recommended Paige, and they’ve worked great.

That was me and i remain of the opinion unless one is significantly overweight. 

4 hours ago, CycleTex87 said:

Any opinion on Todd Snyder jeans?  Other preferred jeans brand on a higher plane than Levi's?  Looking to up my jeans game.

I have a couple pairs of Barbanera, they are pretty solid. That said, my LVC 505s with Cone Mills denim are still probably my nicest jeans fabric wise.

• 3 weeks later...

I tried a couple different pairs of beefrolls and the sizes just didn’t work for me.  Felt like my heels wanted to slip when I walked around. I’ve got a pair of the pinch pennys on order cause I really want a pair of slip ons.  

Yeah I tried to get a pair of penny loafers from quoddy in 2020 and they were massive. Rancourt says to size down by half, and I checked with them that if a 12 in rangers worked for me than an 11.5 for beef roll pennies would be my best bet. Which they confirmed. I’m hoping that they are uncomfortably snug when they show up, chromexcel stretches.

That's what I did also, where my normal size is a 10-D, went down to 9.5-D, still swimming in the shoe.  I think I tried a 9.5-B which I couldn't get my foot into.  My feet are on the small side of 10-D especially in volume if not length and width.  Hoping the pinch pennys fit a little differently.