Mexico City

SimonBolivar

• 2 months later...

Just got back from my 3rd trip to CDMX, still appreciate the place a whole lot. Had the pleasure of taking my dad on his bucket list item of seeing a game at Estadio Azteca (got his preferred Club America too). Finally got to visit Coyoacan for an afternoon; definitely could've used a few more hours however. That place was so tranquil I wanted to sit and have a cafe and people watch for a couple hours. Last year I was able to do a day trip to Cholula and I got the same vibe, just cooler to see Coyoacan just a bit away from the craziness in the city. Had a prime rib molcajete at La Coyoacana that blew our tops. 

Best part was hearing my pops say the exact same thing I said after my first trip. "I don't know what I expected but I never expected Mexico City to be so cool and modern." Growing up Tejano, media and border towns and tourist trap areas do a number to how you view a country without really exploring it.  I

• Hook 'Em 8

• 3 weeks later...

Not a restaurant, but there is a famous torta stand in southern Condesa that’s pretty good, La Esquina de Chilaquil, 139 Alfonso Reyes.

La Chinampa was a restaurant/taqueria that was pretty good.  Nothing fancy by American standards, but a decent place to get a taco.

A lot of Argentine restaurants in CDMX, we went to one in Roma for convenience, it was really good and then another one that was close to our apartment out of convenience for a snack.

Went to the infamous Pujol in Polanco, mixed feelings on that place.

Mexico is a country where I’ve found the best food is from a cheap, humble stand or restaurant.  Had some damn fine tacos de canasta outside the Metro station in Chapultepec Park, spent a couple bucks for two people.

And if you are in La Condesa on a Friday, they have a Friday market with lots of nice treats to eat. 

Buen Provecho!

Edited by Matuka
Friday market

1 hour ago, Matuka said:

Not a restaurant, but there is a famous torta stand in southern Condesa that’s pretty good, La Esquina de Chilaquil, 139 Alfonso Reyes.

La Chinampa was a restaurant/taqueria that was pretty good.  Nothing fancy by American standards, but a decent place to get a taco.

A lot of Argentine restaurants in CDMX, we went to one in Roma for convenience, it was really good and then another one that was close to our apartment out of convenience for a snack.

Went to the infamous Pujol in Polanco, mixed feelings on that place.

Mexico is a country where I’ve found the best food is from a cheap, humble stand or restaurant.  Had some damn fine tacos de canasta outside the Metro station in Chapultepec Park, spent a couple bucks for two people.

And if you are in La Condesa on a Friday, they have a Friday market with lots of nice treats to eat. 

Buen Provecho!

Sunday is the start of our 5 week vacation and we aren't getting into Condesa until 8pm, so we don't really want a torta/taco stand. Need someplace to sit, chill, eat and drink. Been a fucking stressful week.

20 minutes ago, rage-a-holic said:

Sunday is the start of our 5 week vacation and we aren't getting into Condesa until 8pm, so we don't really want a torta/taco stand. Need someplace to sit, chill, eat and drink. Been a fucking stressful week.

It's a little outside of Condesa, but not too far...cool bar with eats.  Felina

https://goo.gl/maps/9GFKTZYfecG3hhLGA?coh=178572&entry=tt

Head to El Califa and grab some tacos. Not a stand it’s a sit down restaurant closes at 2 am I think. Maque is right on the corner of Parque Mexico. Best pan dulce in Condesa they may close early though. Eat there for brunch if they are closed early. Bunch of restaurants in condesa so you’ll find something off Avenida Nuevo León. 

Fucking Mexicans and their love of closing on Mondays. Every single attraction we wanted to see is closed today. Somehow this was a surprise to my Mexican girlfriend, who was looking forward to all this shit and "planned" it.

We got in late last night so we ate at an Argentinian place called Quebracho. Only place within 3 miles open past 10pm. Good meat. No pics, I was too tired.

https://goo.gl/maps/VuUQRZQFdNCBYSN16?coh=178571&entry=tt

image.thumb.png.3ce5edf7c3f4178a375e2a9b7c92d3b1.png

• 1 month later...

Alright Chilangos, I have a 6 hour layover at MEX on Friday from 10:00-16:00. Normally I'd just uber into the Zocalo and wander into a restaurant/taqueria and kill an hour but this time it's a group of 7 of us including a 1-year-old. Any ideas that are relatively close to the airport besides just sitting in that fucking awful terminal (#2) for 6 hours?

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 7/24/2023 at 9:43 PM, tfoolry said:

Heading to CDMX in Sept.  Anyone ever hit up Supra rooftop in Roma or any of the beer places there? Looking for places on weekend after all the tourist stuff during the week already mentioned multiple times earlier in this thread. 

Supra can be fun with a group. Don't go in with shorts and a t-shirt. More of an upscale club-ish vibe. 

Edited by mycox

23 hours ago, mycox said:

Supra can be fun with a group. Don't go in with shorts and a t-shirt. More of an upscale club-ish vibe. 

Looks like 70s in day & 50s at night so no shorts.  This place is target after dinner @ Maximo.  Roma & Condessa looks promising fin de semana.  

https://www.romabeercompany.it

https://www.maximobistrot.com.mx

Don’t think it’s legal yet.  But I cut up some gummies into strips and put them in the middle of a bag of Haribo sour gummies I bought at CVS.  No problema hermano.
They never even scanned my bag. Quick passport review and through customs. Americans and Canadians were skipped ahead through an automated scan system like they have at IAH. Scan passport, scan your face and you're out. Maybe 10 min in line.

I have seen almost zero cannabis here. So used to smelling it everywhere in the US, the absence of skunks was odd.

No vaping either, which I know was banned, just a few cig smokers.

55 minutes ago, Born to Run said:

They never even scanned my bag. Quick passport review and through customs. Americans and Canadians were skipped ahead through an automated scan system like they have at IAH. Scan passport, scan your face and you're out. Maybe 10 min in line.

I have seen almost zero cannabis here. So used to smelling it everywhere in the US, the absence of skunks was odd.

No vaping either, which I know was banned, just a few cig smokers.

Vaping is not banned.

On 5/21/2023 at 11:51 PM, BigNastyHorn said:

Head to El Califa and grab some tacos. Not a stand it’s a sit down restaurant closes at 2 am I think. Maque is right on the corner of Parque Mexico. Best pan dulce in Condesa they may close early though. Eat there for brunch if they are closed early. Bunch of restaurants in condesa so you’ll find something off Avenida Nuevo León. 

El Califa was our stop after the Taylor Swift concert last week at 1am. A+

Pujol was amazing. Rosetta was quite good. The Rosetta bakery was even better than the restaurant. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Js1 said:

Pujol was amazing. Rosetta was quite good. The Rosetta bakery was even better than the restaurant. 

Rosetta, Meroma & Blanco Colima are all right next to each other so hope to be able to get into one of them.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/30/2023 at 6:24 AM, Js1 said:

Rosetta fucks, both of them.

Catching up on this thread has me wanting to go back.

• 1 month later...
22 hours ago, tokamak said:

Hotel recs? Going in March for the first time. Looking for something classy, peaceful, unique. Not afraid to spend a few bucks to impress the wife.

We stayed here.  They had complimentary food & beer all day & rooftop restaurant was fantastic.  

https://www.centralhoteles.com/en/hotels/zocalo-central/

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, looks like we’re changing plans from Oaxaca to Mexico City. I’m very excited as this has been a bucket list city for me for some time. Finally convinced Mrs. Tailgate we have extremely slim chances of running into a cartel.

Family of five. Any recs for places/areas to stay.

Gracias Amigos.