Learn Me Some Life Guard Medical Alert

18 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

Do these things work? Are they a scam full of hidden fees? I had an elderly neighbor who fell out and was so loopy she forgot she was wearing one. Now I have an elderly family member who may need something, not sure if it's this or if there's something better.

The correct answer is an Apple Watch, but if they are technologically challenged, you might check and see if there is a jitterbug watch available.

• Like 1

The actual Life Alert is not a bad idea.  It uses some kind of radio network to permit calling from the thing around your neck.

HOWEVER, the subscription service is kind of a ripoff.  It's kind of reminiscent of the alarm company that will charge you $100 to install an alarm system and then $300/month to monitor it.

I have to think that there is a better solution ala the apple watch or similar that doesn't have some obnoxious subscription service and charges a fair price for the device.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

HOWEVER, the subscription service is kind of a ripoff.

This is my main concern dude. Low low dollar a day to have one, but they didn't say what it would be if Mama accidentally bumps the button. Nothing? Doubt it. I foresee some cascading series of convenience fees, told to me in the same voice as the banker uses when explaining why they cash the biggest check first when the account will be overdrawn.

We got my mom an Amazon Dot and she can use it to call all of us who have an Amazon device and app. We can then call for help. I think there's a way to set it up to call 911, but it takes some extra steps. She doesn't need that so we didn't set it up. Of course that only works if she's at home. 

• Like 1

We got my mom an Amazon Dot and she can use it to call all of us who have an Amazon device and app. We can then call for help. I think there's a way to set it up to call 911, but it takes some extra steps. She doesn't need that so we didn't set it up. Of course that only works if she's at home. 

Only works if she’s in the room with it.
  • Like 1

If you have an elderly parent that lives alone I would recommend getting something.  My first ex's grandmother lived alone in a pretty big house in Alamo Heights.  She fell and couldn't get up and ended up lying on the floor for two days until a neighbor came to check on her.  She died later in the hospital from her injuries.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Bumping this thread. I mentioned above that we got my mom a Dot to address this. We are now at the point where we might need to move to an actual system where she wears something everywhere she goes. A search yields many different options. Anyone have any real life experience with anything? 

Edited by Mo Horn

My 79 year old (otherwise healthy / former marathon runner / employed until COVID) mom called me Thursday AM. Knew something was wrong immediately. She’s struggling to speak. Then manages to get out, “I fell on the steps”. I was already in my garage, so in less than 10 seconds I was on my way. She slipped feet first. Landed hard on her back on the plushly carpeted steps. Crawled to her phone down the hall. She’ll be OK, but she fractured a vertebra. Pain meds and rest for time being.

She got her first Echo Dot 4 going today. Soon she will have one in every room and the garage. Apple Watch is being discussed.

The first few seconds on the phone call we’re scary AF.

Bernard

Edited by Bernard
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

My mom fell once in her closet and couldn't get up.  My sister found her 6 hours later.  No bueno.  She got a fall alert bracelet through ADT and while I'm sure they overcharged her on the monthly, she had a couple of exciting false alarms where the fire department showed up.  So I'm guessing if she had fallen again, it would have been helpful.  Thankfully, during that time, she did not fall again.

• Hook 'Em 1

Following and going to be researching the same for my 76 yo mother. She fell a couple weeks ago. Eventually, she was able to use her cane to knock her wireless phone off the table.

Got her set up with her flip phone on a small camera case she can wear around her neck. Would rather have the life alert type device.

Funny thing is, she told her friends about wearing the cell phone song her neck and now two of them are doing it as well. I'm a geriatric trend setter.