Congressman's Profanity Laced Tirade in a Safeway Grocery Store

Washpark

12 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

As a lifelong Republican (who voted in the Presidential election but abstained from any selection for President), I was convinced then and believe moreso now that is getting elected President was the worst possible outcome for the party.  Hillary would have flamed out as well, and we could have been there to swoop in and capitalize, much like the dems are now.  Could be 2 or 3 cycles before we recover.  

It will be funny when he doesn't even secure the Republican nomination for President in 2020.

No doubt that if Hillary were president right now the Republicans would be looking at a supermajority in both chambers, 40+ governors mansions, another decade of favorably gerrymandered districts, and possibly the ratification of the balanced budget amendment by 2021 at the latest.

29 minutes ago, berlinerbaer said:

No doubt that if Hillary were president right now the Republicans would be looking at a supermajority in both chambers, 40+ governors mansions, another decade of favorably gerrymandered districts, and possibly the ratification of the balanced budget amendment by 2021 at the latest.

I hope this is sarcasm.  

FWIW, I know EXACTLY which Safeway this is.

And from my experience, this is exactly how almost every rational GOP staffer on the hill feels. You subtract the odd Rand Paul or Paul Gosar's of the mix, and you just got a tight, profane summation of the mood on the hill.

11 hours ago, bolverk said:
  1. The florid language indicates he's from below the Mason Dixon line.
  2. His acquaintance with the "circling green fly" (which I'd never heard of and research on wiki) indicates he's familiar with sheep farming.
  3. There's no indication that he serves on the judiciary committee, but his "insider knowledge" of its voting proclivities leads me to believe he's on it.
  4. He mentions that he's not in a totally safe district.
  5. He's often been on Fox News to support the president.

Conclusion: Lamar Smith, who represents SW Austin and its suburbs as well as wealthy northern portions of San Antonio, along with large swaths of the Texas Hill country where sheep/goat farming is a thing. Given the demographics, his seat is no longer safe, and he's chosen to not run again. Maybe now he feels freer to speak. He's also a member of the judiciary and would know which ways the wind blows within the committee. I don't have cable, but I think I've seen references to him on there frequently defending the bloated orange blight.

Definitely not.  Lamar Smith does NOT use this type of language.  I know from personal experience.

30 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

FWIW, I know EXACTLY which Safeway this is.

And from my experience, this is exactly how almost every rational GOP staffer on the hill feels. You subtract the odd Rand Paul or Paul Gosar's of the mix, and you just got a tight, profane summation of the mood on the hill.

If that's exactly how they feel, why don't they, I don't know, DO SOMETHING?!!?  To quote the head buffoon in charge.

43 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

If that's exactly how they feel, why don't they, I don't know, DO SOMETHING?!!?  To quote the head buffoon in charge.

Because they running out the clock in November and/or hoping Mueller takes care of things.  

And they don’t want Trump to focus on them individually. 

20 hours ago, Red Five said:

I️ am 100% sure that we’d be better off with President Hillary. And I️ can’t stand Hillary.

If Hillary was president we would have already bombed Syria, we'd be on the brink of war with north Korea, health care would have been messed up, and we'd be staring a major economic downturn in the face. 

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

Because the system is so broken all the people who go and stay in congress care about is never taking a stand on anything and making sure they can blame the other side/minorities/immigrants for all problems. 

20 hours ago, Brandywine said:

I’m really surprised the GOP hasn’t moved to impeach Trump and put in Pence, considering that Pence is everything they believe in. The longer Trump stays in the nastier it’s going to be to impeach him and the more damage will happen for the party.

putin.

The GOP is in a no win situation with Trump and it’s because of the trumpkin base and their enablers in the media. If Trump’s approval ratings among Republicans was in the 20s, they’d impeach the motherfucker today.

Because Trump’s approval is in the 70-80s among republicans, a move to impeach by the GOP would be viewed as a betrayal to their voters and they would be punished for it.

These guys are not complicated people. They operate with purely self interest in mind.  When it’s no longer in their political self interest to bow to Trump, they will throw his ass overboard with glee.

The unfortunate thing for most of them is they fail to see how badly history will judge them for playing politics instead of doing the obvious right thing.  

5 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

The GOP is in a no win situation with Trump and it’s because of the trumpkin base and their enablers in the media. If Trump’s approval ratings among Republicans was in the 20s, they’d impeach the motherfucker today.

Because Trump’s approval is in the 70-80s among republicans, a move to impeach by the GOP would be viewed as a betrayal to their voters and they would be punished for it.

These guys are not complicated people. They operate with purely self interest in mind.  When it’s no longer in their political self interest to bow to Trump, they will throw his ass overboard with glee.

The unfortunate thing for most of them is they fail to see how badly history will judge them for playing politics instead of doing the obvious right thing.  

Every word of this.

When you sell your soul to the devil....you have to act like what you are, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Satan, Inc.  It's not complicated.  

The GOP sold its soul to Trumpism.  So now Trumpism owns 80% of the shares of GOP, Inc.  Act in a way that 80% of the shareholders disagree with, and you will be kicked to the curb.  AND...if what you care about most is your cushy job at GOP, Inc. (as opposed to, say, fulfilling the purported mission of GOP, Inc.: serving the country), then you'll just do what makes the shareholders happy.

1 minute ago, Biff Tannen said:

That's well and good, but I don't trust the American people to hold them accountable for those actions when it comes down to it.

They won't.

See the 80% shareholders figure.  WE are the enemy.  We are dedicated to a program of smashing ourselves in the nuts with a hammer.  AND, we'll punish anyone who tries to stop us.

Edited by Brisketexan

21 hours ago, slorch said:

So y'all are in love with the idea that things would be better with Hillary?

LOLz.  No matter who won the election, we were all going to lose.  That's state of affairs in American politics right now.

Y'all just want to bitch.

You're really an idiot dude.  

Hillary is, at the very least, intelligent and competent.  Trump is neither.   He's actually the opposite of both.

• Like 1

I would have guessed Sessions, but Hilary actually won his district. I have no idea who it is.

Here's the thing:  Trump is the modern GOP voter.  White, Male, and Mad as hell. The guys in Congress, they're just adapting to their new constituency.  The problem is increasingly the Reps are drinking this Koolaid as well.  That's how you end up with just a total dumpster fire of a tax bill.  I mean, cutting taxes is what the GOP does.  It's their core competency. And that bill still sucks.  Because the Members really, deeply believe, at the bottom of their hearts, that if they cut taxes for corporations, the companies would actually use the money to hire, instead of obviously giving it back to the shareholders.  

Companies don't exist to employee people, they exist to make money for their owners.  It's literally their legal fiduciary duty. And yet, the modern GOP actually believes that Companies some how exist to hire a mythical non college age person and shower them with high pay. 

That's the problem in a nut shell. They've actually drunk the koolaid.  Reagan did supply side because he was trying to help rich people (i.e. his donors) keep more of their money, not because anybody actually believed that making Daddy Warbucks richer would actually create jobs.  Which is why he raised taxes several times to bring the budget into some form of normalcy to calm bond markets. where actual capital decisions are made.  You ask your run of the mill GOP congressman now about tax policy, and they actually believe the rhetoric as sound economic policy.

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

They know exactly how they will be judged. 

They don't give a shit though. They are just focused on making their donors happy and/or winning re-election, because that’s what they feel is more important.  They only want to be judged by their donors.